Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Gammons reports reds sign Alex Gonzalez

Re: Gammons reports reds sign Alex Gonzalez

Any way to get a look at how Alex has done in Cincinnati's park?
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Atleast we picked up an all-glove guy at a position that you need a great glove. Although I still don't like it.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Atleast we picked up an all-glove guy at a position that you need a great glove. Although I still don't like it.
    You admit they needed a great glove in a key defensive postion....and they got that...but you don't like it.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    You admit they needed a great glove in a key defensive postion....and they got that...but you don't like it.

Am I missing something?

Yep. We Reds fans have been spoiled by 30 years of watching Davey Concepcion and Barry Larkin play the position and didn't realize how good we had it until now.

Gonzalez will be fine. A slick fielding shortstop will help out the pitching staff, and lord knows this pitching staff can use all the help it can get.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Yep. We Reds fans have been spoiled by 30 years of watching Davey Concepcion and Barry Larkin play the position and didn't realize how good we had it until now.
    Fair point.

We were blessed with HOF caliber players there forever.....now back to reality

Last year we had horrible defense at short. So this year we bring in a gold glove shortstop, lets say having him drops the pitchers ERA down half a run. Would that make this deal well worth it, even if he doesnt hit well? Think of all the erros that lopez/castro had then all the balls they couldnt get to that well now be outs. To me this is a great deal, I think he will help the pitchers alot and I gonzalez will hit just fine in GABP.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Gonzalez will be fine. A slick fielding shortstop will help out the pitching staff, and lord knows this pitching staff can use all the help it can get.
    Personally, I'd rather get pitching to help the pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Last year we had horrible defense at short. So this year we bring in a gold glove shortstop, lets say having him drops the pitchers ERA down half a run. Would that make this deal well worth it, even if he doesnt hit well? Think of all the erros that lopez/castro had then all the balls they couldnt get to that well now be outs. To me this is a great deal, I think he will help the pitchers alot and I gonzalez will hit just fine in GABP.
    There is no way in God's name that a shortstop could drop a staff's ERA down by a half run.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If he could bring down pitcher's ERA by half a run, heck yeah. However, lets say he saves us 20 runs over what we got last year (which would be gold glove caliber defense).

So, let's say we go from 800 ER to 780 ER. That would be .12. Now considering that he'll likely cost us runs offensively compared to the production we got out of Lopez, Aurilia, and Clayton, and you can see that the best case effect is a very small positive, if not a step back. It really comes down to his offense. If he can be decent (.700+ OPS), it's a decent addition. If not, it's not.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Any way to get a look at how Alex has done in Cincinnati's park?
    Not bad

Pretty small sample size though.

I have been a critic of Krivsky since The Trade but I like this move, provided that:

1) Narron's smart enough to bat AG 8th (wouldn't bet the farm on it).

2) Krivsky realizes the team still needs offense. I keep reading that pitching and defense wins games, but pitchers don't hit very well and you can't get a base hit with a glove and runs don't just score themselves.

3) Griffey is moved to the corner and Denorfia plays CF - absolutely no need to overpay for Juan Pierre when pitching still has holes.

AG should improve the defense and maybe he smacks 20 or so HRs from the 8th spot. Sounds good to me.
    Last edited by RichRed; 11-18-2006 at 08:58 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I won't be happy about this signing unless other moves are made.

If he's part of a scheme, I hope it's a good scheme, and I hope it's able to be executed.

It's a start.

If it's the end, it's gonna be a long season.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

Hey, stat guys. It said on ESPN that Gonzalez's fielding percentage last year was .985. Can anybody tell me what was the combined fielding percentage of Lopez,Clayton, Castro, and Phillips at Short Stop? Then how many potential runs will it save us next year having Gonzo at SS in 07....thanks
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    R.I.P. SteelSD.
    What happened to Steel? Is he ok?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

What happened to Steel?

Turn Off Ads?