Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Gammons reports reds sign Alex Gonzalez

Re: Gammons reports reds sign Alex Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Hey, stat guys. It said on ESPN that Gonzalez's fielding percentage last year was .985. Can anybody tell me what was the combined fielding percentage of Lopez,Clayton, Castro, and Phillips at Short Stop? Then how many potential runs will it save us next year having Gonzo at SS in 07....thanks
    Fielding percentage will tell you basically nothing about the fielding prowess of various players.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    It's just the beginning.
    Out of the wilderness, a sane voice.

My prediction? This team will have two more new starters and two more pitchers on board. Who? You never know, but I know it's coming. How it will turn out, I don't know. I just know it's going to be different.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That team ('76 Reds) had all world defenders at 4 positions: C, 1B, 2B, SS.
    I think you meant to say C, 2b, SS, CF.
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    I think you meant to say C, 2b, SS, CF.
    And very little defense anywhere else. Of course that team got some offense from it up-the-middle positions as well.

Anyway, replace Jr. with a capable CF and the Reds suddenly have respectable up-the-middle defense. It's something. While it may not be the only thing the club needs, it's a case of the team actually fixing a problem. Haven't really seen any of that this century from the franchise.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Yep. We Reds fans have been spoiled by 30 years of watching Davey Concepcion and Barry Larkin play the position and didn't realize how good we had it until now.

Gonzalez will be fine. A slick fielding shortstop will help out the pitching staff, and lord knows this pitching staff can use all the help it can get.
    Agreed. We also get more of those great moments in a game where a hot defensive play after the Reds score makes the opposing team feel shut down...There have been way too few of those types of plays in recent years.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Hey, stat guys. It said on ESPN that Gonzalez's fielding percentage last year was .985. Can anybody tell me what was the combined fielding percentage of Lopez,Clayton, Castro, and Phillips at Short Stop? Then how many potential runs will it save us next year having Gonzo at SS in 07....thanks
    All shortstops for the Reds had a .964 Fielding Average (that includes Aurilia and Olmedo), that per baseball-reference.com - I have no clue as to how many runs that did or did not save though.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And very little defense anywhere else. Of course that team got some offense from it up-the-middle positions as well.

Anyway, replace Jr. with a capable CF and the Reds suddenly have respectable up-the-middle defense. It's something. While it may not be the only thing the club needs, it's a case of the team actually fixing a problem. Haven't really seen any of that this century from the franchise.
    You mean Rose, Perez, Griffey and Foster? Granted on Foster, but nonsense to the rest...not that they were world beaters with the glove, but those players were beyond reproach on the fundamentals.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

They better not let him have #11.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    You mean Rose, Perez, Griffey and Foster? Granted on Foster, but nonsense to the rest...not that they were world beaters with the glove, but those players were beyond reproach on the fundamentals.
    Wrong century.

The Reds have been a offensive team for the last 5 or 6 seasons and were has that got them,nowhere.I say whats so bad with trying it a different way under new ownership and a new front office.I say let WK run it his way and see if he can turn the ship around and get Cincy to the playoffs.Because everyone knows the offensive team we once were didnt get the job done.

Guys,guys,guys, you all are looking at this all wrong in respect to lineup.You all suspect that WK is done making moves and that is just absurd.The lineup your making up with the players your using,tear it up and dont even try to figure out who will be on the roster for opening day.Wk will trade and sign and trade and sign again to turn this roster around.You can bet your bottom dollar on this.WK roster will never be set in stone until the first pitch is thrown.

Oh, crap!

I have extensive experience watching AG with the Marlins, and I can tell you with definitive words that are coming out of my mouth - he is one miserable presence to watch at the plate..and oh yeah, he can't hit worth a damn.

Yes he can flash some leather, but overall, you will see, he is someone you will suffer watching day in and day out.

I hope this is a bad dream or an alternative universe bit of news for all us die hard Red Legged fanatics. And I have been one for over 40 years!

Hear me now and hear me well...you will want to choke him by his miserable, depressing face sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    Guys,guys,guys, you all are looking at this all wrong in respect to lineup.You all suspect that WK is done making moves and that is just absurd.The lineup your making up with the players your using,tear it up and dont even try to figure out who will be on the roster for opening day.Wk will trade and sign and trade and sign again to turn this roster around.You can bet your bottom dollar on this.WK roster will never be set in stone until the first pitch is thrown.
    Agree. And improving the defense is right up there on the list next to improving the starting rotation and finding a closer.

The outfield defense will be intriguing. Do they tell Junior to shift to RF while using Denorfia/Freel in center? And if Junior is reluctant to the move, how does Krivsky handle it?

Stay tuned.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Re: Oh, crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy P View Post
    I have extensive experience watching AG with the Marlins, and I can tell you with definitive words that are coming out of my mouth - he is one miserable presence to watch at the plate..and oh yeah, he can't hit worth a damn.

Yes he can flash some leather, but overall, you will see, he is someone you will suffer watching day in and day out.

I hope this is a bad dream or an alternative universe bit of news for all us die hard Red Legged fanatics. And I have been one for over 40 years!

Hear me now and hear me well...you will want to choke him by his miserable, depressing face sooner or later.
    Reds can bat him eighth or even the ninth spot and I'll live with his miserable hitting. Late in the game, we can pinch hit for him and use Castro as his replacement.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post

I agree.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?