Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should there be a rematch for the National Championship Game?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 32.98%
  • No

63 67.02%
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rematch? Yes or No?

Rematch? Yes or No?

Should Michigan and Ohio State play for the National Title? Not do you WANT to see it, but should it happen?

And all this is assuming Rutgers loses at some point.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rematch? Yes or No?

Yes, emphatically so.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

"Some point" might be tonight for Rutgers.

I think Michigan deserves a chance as much as the other 1-loss teams. They probably are the 2nd best team in the country.

Personally, I think they should stop calling it the Nat'l championship though. It's the championship of 3 or 4 conferences. I don't see anybody calling for Boise State to get an invitation. Plus, even if Rutgers wins out, many say they'll get passed over too. And they're in the Big East for cryin' out loud.

I'm glad I don't have a passion for college sports, because those of you who do must be very, very frustrated with the f'ed up BCS system.
    Stick to your guns.

Well, I've felt for a while now that Michigan and Ohio State truly are the best two teams on earth and I'd love to see a rematch for the title.

Today's game was incredible.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

hollywood mid westerner

I vote no. Not because Michigan doesnt deserve it per se, but I feel it will be anticlimatic for OSU fans AND college football fans in general. Nobody outside of OSU/UM fans would watch a rematch and you better believe the BCS takes MONEY into account for the NC game.

I would actually prefer a ND matchup. Brady Quinn vs Troy Smith. both are seniors. both are/were up for the heisman. Last game for both quarterbacks before they go to the NFL. rematch from last year's fiesta bowl. Zmardja vs. Ginn. I just think it would be a more attractive game for everyone.

The poll isn't about preference, but about whether it's equitable.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

How can a team be legit National Champs when they didn't win their conference?

No, No, No. Michigan has a great team, but USC, Florida, and potentially Arkansas would have a better claim, IMO.

I vote no, just because I feel that the teams should be conference winners. Tressel and Carr stated as much early in the week.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

That's my feeling. As long as there is a single title game and no playoffs, the teams should be chosen from among conference champions.

For a Level Playing Field

The title game should match the two best teams in D-I football. Is it possible to have the two best teams in D-I football in the same conference? Yes, it is. Is it possible for one of these teams to win the conference title and the other team to not win the conference title? Yes, it is.

It should be the top two teams... period.

hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The poll isn't about preference, but about whether it's equitable.

ok fine then. no it shouldnt happen and if anybody thinks it SHOULD, then they are being biased either for Michigan or the big ten.

with the poll system in college football, there will never be "two best teams in the country."

It SHOULD be Arkansas/Florida or Notre Dame or USC

period.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    ok fine then. no it shouldnt happen and if anybody thinks it SHOULD, then they are being biased either for Michigan or the big ten.

with the poll system in college football, there will never be "two best teams in the country."

It SHOULD be Arkansas/Florida or Notre Dame or USC

period.
    I never said how I voted. So you SHOULD NOT make assumptions... period.

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    if anybody thinks it SHOULD, then they are being biased either for Michigan or the big ten.
    Gawd, I hate these kinds of statements. Plenty of people, and I know of a couple on this thread, think it's the right thing that have no bias at towards the Big Ten.

I'm a Buckeye fan, and the last team I'd want to see in the final is Michigan.

Different people have different criteria. Some think conference champs should play only. I think that's a legitimate point of view. Others think it should be the best two teams regardless of conference. I think that's a legit point of view. Under the current system, there is rrom for differing opinions.

I think the only scenario at this point that would allow it to happen would be for Notre Dame to beat USC and Arkansas beat Florida (assuming they both win their remaining games before this one which isn't a given especially for AK who has to play LSU). I think the voters would have a much easier time ranking Michigan ahead of Arkansas as opposed to Florida. Not saying it's fair, but brand name will come into play and Florida's is much better.

But if the choice is between Notre Dame and Michigan, I'd have a hard time believing the voters in both polls would put the Irish ahead of the Wolverines with both having onle loss and with the magnitude of Michigan's win and the fact that it was in South Bend. Of course, it's happened before with Notre Dame being absolutely screwed in 1993, so you never know.

Sure, the best two teams in the country can be in the same conference. And the best team may not actually win their conference. If they don't, however, they shouldn't play for the national title. Not in a single title game.

How many playoff systems yield the "two best teams" in the respective sports, year after year? Think the Cards and the Tigers were the best teams in baseball last year?

As for college football, there is really no objective way to determine the two best teams in the country. The level of competition varies too much year to year, and conference to conference. Preseason polls play too big a role.

Edit: For the record ... I'm not suggesting those who favor a rematch claiming OSU and UM are the two best teams in the country are showing Big Ten bias. It's just my opionion that conference championship should weigh heavily when comparing teams with the same, or even a similar record.
    Last edited by SandyD; 11-19-2006 at 12:33 AM.

Right after the game, Doug Flutie said he didn't think there should be a rematch. He's now saying he thinks there should be a rematch. IMO, Michigan being the opponent in the title game would be OSU's worst nightmare. I definitely DO NOT want that to happen.

It will be interesting to see how the voters vote. For example, many of them will NOT want to see a rematch. The computers are gong to like Michigan as they are the only loss to ND and Wisconsin and they're only loss is to the #1 team. If they're #3 to any team other than USC, that might be enough to propel them to #2 in the BCS.

There's no way Michigan is worse than #4. The winner of USC/ND could be ahead of them, and the winner of ARK/FLA could be ahead of them. But that's it. Would some voters put them at #5 or below just to prevent a leapfrog from happening? If USC wins out, it will be all moot. But I really think Notre Dame will beat them based on what I've seen of USC (that prediction probably spells doom of the Irish). That puts the winner of FLA/Ark at #2. Both are really good teams, but as a Bucks fan, I wouldn't mind seeing either one of them in the title game over the other teams in the mix.

The following scenario is NOT all that unlikely:

Arkansas loses to LSU
    Arkansas beats Florida (this one isn't quite as likely, but not unreasonable either)
    Notre Dame beats USC

That would leave Notre Dame and Michigan. If that happens I've got to believe Michigan will get the nod. That really means Notre Dame doesn't have much chance at all. If Notre Dame win, I think the rematch will happen. That means Michigan fans have to root for Notre Dame.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say it will be Florida. Of all the teams left, I believe they're the ones least likely to lose. This would probably be fine with most Buckeye fans (sorry, Krono. Nothing personal, but I don't think they're going to scare anyone). The only other team that would be a more desirable opponent would be Arkansas, which I don't see winning out. I wouldn't want to see Michigan, USC, or even Notre Dame.

BTW, Mark May is either an idiot or drunk (or both). He just said he didn't think Michigan would be able to beat Arkansas. Really, he just said that!
    Last edited by MWM; 11-19-2006 at 12:55 AM.

Turn Off Ads?