Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should there be a rematch for the National Championship Game?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 32.98%
  • No

63 67.02%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rematch? Yes or No?

Re: Rematch? Yes or No?

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    Edit: For the record ... I'm not suggesting those who favor a rematch claiming OSU and UM are the two best teams in the country are showing Big Ten bias. It's just my opionion that conference championship should weigh heavily when comparing teams with the same, or even a similar record.
    I think that's a fair opinion.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

No. Absolutely not.

The Big Ten as a whole is god awful this year. The last thing the sport needs to do is reward that by putting two teams from the conference in the championship game.

Penn State & Purdue - both tied for fourth in the conference, would be hard pressed to not to finish dead last in the SEC.

Plus if I had to put up with several weeks more of a Michigan/Ohio State national media lovefest I'll gouge out my ears with a pen knife.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 11-19-2006 at 01:10 AM.

None of the conferences are all that great this year. And why penalize a team because the rest of the teams in the conference aren't very good? I think Michigan proved today they're legit and a great team irrepsective of how good the conference is.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I want to see it again.

Being selfish I want no part of Michigan again. It's just not realistic to expect to beat that great of a team twice and in back to back games.

I'm not sure WHO deserves the shot at TOSU, I just hope it's USC or Florida.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Being selfish I want no part of Michigan again. It's just not realistic to expect to beat that great of a team twice and in back to back games.

I'm not sure WHO deserves the shot at TOSU, I just hope it's USC or Florida.
    My thoughts exactly. No disrespect intended for those two teams, but OSU would have a much tougher time with Michigan again that any of USC, Florida, or Arkansas. I'll be pulling for the Trojans next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    None of the conferences are all that great this year. And why penalize a team because the rest of the teams in the conference aren't very good? I think Michigan proved today they're legit and a great team irrepsective of how good the conference is.
    Are you arguing you that for Michigan? Or for Louisville, West Virginia & Rutgers?

Because that is literally the exact same argument that Big East fans have been using all season to pump up their teams.

And if that's the case, step forward to the BCS Championship game unbeaten Boise State.

I'm picking on you about that MWM - but we'll hear it all week. It simply blows my mind to hear some network blowhard spouting about why an undefeated Rutgers team didn't deserve a shot because of their competition.

I know it would considered blasphamy around most of college football due to the shelf OSU & Michigan are on - but I don't think the Big East and the Big Ten are really any different this year. And I think its going to be that way going forward in the coming years as well. Both have three top shelf teams, and lots of crappy others. If experts and fans are going to say that Rutgers can't be in the championship game because of the teams they played - why not even broach the fact of whether an undefeated Michigan or Ohio State deserves to be in it either? The Big Ten competition league wise is just as awful as the Big East these days - it's just been assumed that Big Ten undefeated=Championship game for weeks now. The idea seems to be beyond the discussion scope these days. Which just astounds me.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

People were SHOCKED last year when the SEC champ Georgia got throttled by West Virginia in the Sugar Bowl. Georgia ended up making it interesting in the end, but a "minnow" Big East champ domianted the champion of College Football's pillar division for most of the game - that was a watershed moment in my opinion proving that talent levels aren't all that different anymore. It makes for great college football, but it also means the playing field is much more level.

Rutgers proved out today they aren't quite up to that top level - which will happen, so no one will get to see the inherent bias towards major programs rear its ugly head in poll voting - at least in regards to the Big East.

But Michigan had their chance today. And they blew it. Next please.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 11-19-2006 at 02:51 AM.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

No. I don't know if we could beat them again. Heller of a game though.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Is Michigan the 2nd best team in the country? I dont know. They might be. OSU had a -3 turnover ratio and still won the game. The way I see it, UM had their chance to beat OSU and could not do it. Regardless of if I think they are the 2nd best team in the country, I think someone else should get the shot be it Florida/Arkansas/ND/USC.

Absolutely not. The rules are the rules whether you like them or not. Letting a rematch occur between Michigan and Ohio State would not be fair to the eventual #2 team in the country who will play Ohio State. This reminds me of the Padres when they finished in 2005 with an 82-80 record. There were some people on ESPN (maybe more elsewhere) saying that since there were better teams than the Padres not going to the playoffs that the best team in the NL should replace the Pads (imagine if that would've happened in 2006, bye bye Redbirds). If Michigan wanted to play in the national championship game they would've shown it Saturday on the field by winning the game.

And speaking of the National Championship game - I heard something from Steve Spurrier the other day that gave me pause, and I'm going to pass it along here.

He was talking about the BCS - and someone mentioned how it was obviously better than the old system, and he corrected them, and said his Championship in 1996 was due to the old system and would not be possible today. And thus is why he isn't the biggest of fans of the BCS system.

In 96, his Gators - Just like Michigan today - lost the last game of the season to Florida State when both were undefeated. The other undefeated team, No. 2 Arizona State, had to play in the Rose Bowl, so Florida - who was dropped to #3 in the ranking - had to play No. 1 Florida State had a rematch for their bowl game. Ohio State upset ASU, and Florida ended up winning, and thus, the Gators became the National Champs.

Maybe that happens this season? Michigan thumps someone in the Rose Bowl, and USC upsets Ohio State, and the AP voters stick it to the BCS and give their championship to Michigan.

Regardless, the fact that we all have to sit here and split hairs over which computer and coach will vote the 2nd best team in the nation is beyond stupid. It should be settled on the field.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

No rematch.

Rematching the two teams would completely destroy the meaning of this game. What if they rematch and Michigan wins? Then you have 2 1-loss teams, with each team's loss coming to one another in consecutive games played. Do you schedule the rubber match for 2 weeks later and then finally determine which of the two teams is better.

Michigan lost. Ohio State gave them gift-wrapped turnovers and they couldn't make enough plays to win the game. They don't deserve to be in the national championship game -- they've had their chance to knock off #1, and they failed. They failed to make it to #1 and they failed to win their conference. They shouldn't get another shot at the big game. It wouldn't be fair to teams like USC and Florida (assuming they win out) who win their conferences and only have 1 loss on their records.

Rematches make babies cry.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Right after the game, Doug Flutie said he didn't think there should be a rematch. He's now saying he thinks there should be a rematch.
    That's because his last name says it all.... he's a flutie! IMO, the guy has no business being an game analyst. He's like "Whatever you two say is OK with me".

You like this Mike. He reminds me of Mr. Kruger....

The following scenario is NOT all that unlikely:

Arkansas loses to LSU
    Arkansas beats Florida (this one isn't quite as likely, but not unreasonable either)
    Notre Dame beats USC

That would leave Notre Dame and Michigan. If that happens I've got to believe Michigan will get the nod. That really means Notre Dame doesn't have much chance at all. If Notre Dame win, I think the rematch will happen. That means Michigan fans have to root for Notre Dame.
    I don't think ND deserves to be in the game period OVER Michigan.

And I kind of hate to see a rematch, and I agree with what cornerback Antonio Smith said - "I think it takes away from the rivalry here."

But the above sentiment is simply an OSU fan speaking.

If you really want the two best teams in the nation in this game, then it should be Michigan IMO. But something else also tells me "Hey! Michigan had their chance."

I'm perplexed.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say it will be Florida. Of all the teams left, I believe they're the ones least likely to lose.
    That has been my position all along. If they beat the Razorbacks in the SEC title game, they'll get in IMO, and most likely deserve to be there.

Final note.... if there is a rematch. I think OSU will beat them by a greater margin. I loved listened to the game analysis yesterday during the second half where they were giving so much credit to the Michigan defensive coordinator for making adjustments..

OSU came out and played sloppy and somewhat lackluster IMO. They also weren't using the spread offense as much, and I thought that was a mistake. When Michigan put those quick 10 pts on the board I thought to myself "C'mon Bucks. Don't get down on yourselves. You're letting these guys back into the game!"

But again.... that's a biased OSU fan speaking.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-19-2006 at 05:04 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    No rematch.

Rematching the two teams would completely destroy the meaning of this game. What if they rematch and Michigan wins? Then you have 2 1-loss teams, with each team's loss coming to one another in consecutive games played. Do you schedule the rubber match for 2 weeks later and then finally determine which of the two teams is better.

Michigan lost. Ohio State gave them gift-wrapped turnovers and they couldn't make enough plays to win the game. They don't deserve to be in the national championship game -- they've had their chance to knock off #1, and they failed.
    That is pretty much how I see it too. They had their chance.

And I bet that is how the BCS will see it too; but we'll see.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    No rematch.

Michigan lost. Ohio State gave them gift-wrapped turnovers and they couldn't make enough plays to win the game. They don't deserve to be in the national championship game -- they've had their chance to knock off #1, and they failed. They failed to make it to #1 and they failed to win their conference. They shouldn't get another shot at the big game. It wouldn't be fair to teams like USC and Florida (assuming they win out) who win their conferences and only have 1 loss on their records.

Rematches make babies cry.
    Why should Michigan be punished for losing to the best team in the nation? On the road? Just because it was their mythical shot at the title? Didn't USC lose that shot when they stunk it up against friggin Oregon State?

I don't see why Michigan should be punished for losing their shot just because it's their last game. The rationale for pollsters should be to rank the teams according to what they actually think they should be.

I don't want a rematch, but I can't really argue against it if it happens.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?