Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should there be a rematch for the National Championship Game?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 32.98%
  • No

63 67.02%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Rematch? Yes or No?

Re: Rematch? Yes or No?

So.... the #2 team in the nation (that's if Michigan stays #2) should get two shots?

If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again.

And if they happen to beat OSU by a similar score, they are then crowned NC's?

Or should they be co-champs? I mean after all, you're then looking at the two best teams in the nation who SPLIT their two meetings in tight contests.

The above scenario is why, IMO, the BCS will avoid it like the plague. No way they allow it to happen.

Michigan had their shot at the #1 team in the nation and lost.

And I understand the argument that they are the best 1 loss team of the bunch.

But they aren't going to get another shot IMHO.

It'll be the winner of the USC-ND game (because I think Florida is gonna get beat by the Razorbacks).

ND's loss, even though it was to Michigan was an early season loss. And therefore the argument can be put forward that it is not the same ND team as earlier in the season.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-19-2006 at 06:57 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Too many people in high places are already biased against the Big Ten anyway. It just eats at these same people that OSU was the #1 team. I look for USC to play OSU in the NC game.
    IMHO, I think USC should pull away from any conference and become independent. Talk about a team that never plays anybody or plays an easy schedule.

Ok... I'm on my 3rd cup of Maxwell House this morning, and here is what I think....

Based on the system and historically what happens (even prior to the BCS) - the general consensus is that it's more harmful to loss late then lose early.

Michigan is gonna drop to #7 in the polls. Why?

Other then Rutgers and Michigan, every other team 1 thru 7 won. It doesn't matter WHO some of these teams played...

Florida vs Western Carolina
    ND vs Army

They won. Period. And Michigan lost.

People can argue strength of schedule and such, but each computer ranking accounts for schedule strength in its formula. It's just not the sole determining factor.

Winning is.

Michigan, IMO, is now sitting on the outside looking in, and has one heck of a hurdle/scenario to overcome.

They will need Florida, USC, Arkansas, and Notre Dame to ALL lose. And two of those 4 teams will be eliminated since they have games coming up versus each other.

But no way that Michigan vaults over the two winners who themselves will be arguing over who won the right to play OSU in January.

Michigan is now sitting on the outside because of the human voting factor of the BCS.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

In a few weeks there probably will be a number of teams with only loss, including the winner of the USC-Notre Dame game, and the SEC champion (Arkansas or Florida), and one or more teams from the Big East (WVU, Louisville). Michigan had its chance. Give somebody else a chance against OSU.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

If it ends up that these are the two best teams in the country, then they should have a rematch. I have no problem with that. (I'm not a Mich or OSU fan). On a personal note, yesterday's game was fantastic and I'd look forward to watching them battle it out again.

That game last night reminded me of Ali - Frazier. The two top heavyweights in the world slugging it out toe to toe.

How often does the game live up to the hype? Hardly ever.

I'd like to see another fight.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I voted "no." Mainly for the reasons that have already been mentioned here: If you want to play in the NC game...win your conference.

But, as a Buckeye fan, I would love to beat Michigan twice in one season. That would be Sah-weet!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

You know, it was a great game yesterday. I'd love to see a rematch. Just not in the title game.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Ok... I'm on my 3rd cup of Maxwell House this morning, and here is what I think....

Based on the system and historically what happens (even prior to the BCS) - the general consensus is that it's more harmful to loss late then lose early.

Michigan is gonna drop to #7 in the polls. Why?

Other then Rutgers and Michigan, every other team 1 thru 7 won. It doesn't matter WHO some of these teams played...

Florida vs Western Carolina
    ND vs Army

They won. Period. And Michigan lost.

People can argue strength of schedule and such, but each computer ranking accounts for schedule strength in its formula. It's just not the sole determining factor.

Winning is.

Michigan, IMO, is now sitting on the outside looking in, and has one heck of a hurdle/scenario to overcome.

They will need Florida, USC, Arkansas, and Notre Dame to ALL lose. And two of those 4 teams will be eliminated since they have games coming up versus each other.

But no way that Michigan vaults over the two winners who themselves will be arguing over who won the right to play OSU in January.

Michigan is now sitting on the outside because of the human voting factor of the BCS.
    Michigan is not dropping to 7. The farthest the fall is to 5. But i don't think they fall even that far. They will either be 3, 4 or 5.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    The poll isn't about preference, but about whether it's equitable.
    I voted yes....but I doubt the BCS would let it happen.

Notre Dame (if they beat USC) would be in the running....BUT Michigan clobbered them....

Rutgers is out....obviously.....GO CATS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I voted yes....but I doubt the BCS would let it happen.

Notre Dame (if they beat USC) would be in the running....BUT Michigan clobbered them....

I'm a Notre Dame fan, but they'd probably give up 100 points to Ohio State. I don't think Florida would challenge OSU, either. USC could probably hang w/OSU for a while. And they'll most likely get the shot if they beat ND.

Arkansas is a darkhorse. If they beat LSU and Florida, they probably deserve the shot.

I keep hearing about how a rematch would fly in the face of tradition.

One of the strongest traditions I'm aware of in the college bowl universe is how seldom you actually see the top two teams meet in the championship game.

You've got the two best teams. Let them play again.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I'm a Notre Dame fan, but they'd probably give up 100 points to Ohio State. I don't think Florida would challenge OSU, either. USC could probably hang w/OSU for a while. And they'll most likely get the shot if they beat ND.

Arkansas is a darkhorse. If they beat LSU and Florida, they probably deserve the shot.

Forgot about Arkansas....nobody talks about them.....

A good "fly under the radar" team

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Forgot about Arkansas....nobody talks about them.....

A good "fly under the radar" team

Their problem is that they opened the season by getting hammered at home by USC: 50-14.

But they've beaten Tennessee and Auburn, they play LSU next week and Florida in the SEC Championship game.

I voted no. You understand I may be a bit biased.

Turn Off Ads?