Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should there be a rematch for the National Championship Game?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 32.98%
  • No

63 67.02%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Rematch? Yes or No?

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Rematch? Yes or No?

Who should Boise State play? Should they get a BCS bid?

I'm sure most people will say their schedule is too weak, but football limits the number of out-of-conference games one can play. And the championship is supposed to be of the 128 (or so) teams in I-A.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 11-19-2006 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling typo
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I keep hearing about how a rematch would fly in the face of tradition.

One of the strongest traditions I'm aware of in the college bowl universe is how seldom you actually see the top two teams meet in the championship game.

You've got the two best teams. Let them play again.
    But why would Michigan deserve another shot at Ohio State? They had their chance, and they lost.

If Michigan gets #2 in the BCS, why wouldn't they just give the trophy to Ohio State? It would be Michigan vs Ohio State. That game already got played.

As a Buckeye fan, I want USC. OSU and USC have been the top 2 programs this decade. Let's get it on!
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. That’s the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Michigan is not dropping to 7. The farthest the fall is to 5. But i don't think they fall even that far. They will either be 3, 4 or 5.
    First off, I made a mistake. I meant 6th position, not 7th. My bad.

And yes, I can see them dropping to sixth with even ND vaulting over them. But at least fifth. But we'll see.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I don't see ND jumping over Michigan unless they beat USC...

Of course, why we are trying to figure out the BCS is beyond me

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Are you arguing you that for Michigan? Or for Louisville, West Virginia & Rutgers?

Because that is literally the exact same argument that Big East fans have been using all season to pump up their teams.

And if that's the case, step forward to the BCS Championship game unbeaten Boise State.

I'm picking on you about that MWM - but we'll hear it all week. It simply blows my mind to hear some network blowhard spouting about why an undefeated Rutgers team didn't deserve a shot because of their competition.

I know it would considered blasphamy around most of college football due to the shelf OSU & Michigan are on - but I don't think the Big East and the Big Ten are really any different this year. And I think its going to be that way going forward in the coming years as well. Both have three top shelf teams, and lots of crappy others. If experts and fans are going to say that Rutgers can't be in the championship game because of the teams they played - why not even broach the fact of whether an undefeated Michigan or Ohio State deserves to be in it either? The Big Ten competition league wise is just as awful as the Big East these days - it's just been assumed that Big Ten undefeated=Championship game for weeks now. The idea seems to be beyond the discussion scope these days. Which just astounds me.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

People were SHOCKED last year when the SEC champ Georgia got throttled by West Virginia in the Sugar Bowl. Georgia ended up making it interesting in the end, but a "minnow" Big East champ domianted the champion of College Football's pillar division for most of the game - that was a watershed moment in my opinion proving that talent levels aren't all that different anymore. It makes for great college football, but it also means the playing field is much more level.

Rutgers proved out today they aren't quite up to that top level - which will happen, so no one will get to see the inherent bias towards major programs rear its ugly head in poll voting - at least in regards to the Big East.

But Michigan had their chance today. And they blew it. Next please.
    Hey, I argued all along that if Rutgers went undefeated they should absolutely be playing for the national championship. The rest of your argument is more about the strength of conferences than the teams. Some folks think that's incredibly important to the argument, some don't. I can honestly see both sides of it. I'm one who looks more at the individual teams at this point as opposed to conferences. As long as it's as subjective as it is now, there's only opinion. There's no concrete right answer.

As for the ideas many seem to be promoting of "they had their chance", well I just don't see why that matters. If one team has th same resume as another (i.e. one loss), then it should all be a matter of what team people *think* is the strongest. At least that's how I see it. I've heard folks say another team should get a chance. We're talking about the National Championship here. IMO, it's inherently unfair to put a regular season game in the decision making for for the second team under the guise of "that was their shot." That was a regular season game and the idea that this was their chance makes it more of a post-season game, and I don't believe that's fair considering the other teams in the mix never had to play a game that was "their chance."

As long as we have polls deciding everything, it becomes a matter of opinion of who is the best team. Hell, there's no way to know who is the best team between Michigan, Fla/Ark, USC/ND winner, WVU/Lou. We can only guess. But the polls should be about who's the best team regardless of any other factors.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    You've got the two best teams. Let them play again.
    Sez who? That's an issue.

Michigan and OSU played a very interesting game yesterday....
    However, last I looked, DEFENSE was still a part of the game of football.
    Didn't see much of that from either team.

Ohio State is still "king of the hill". Michigan failed to topple them. NEXT!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

If they are the 2 best teams (and I believe they are) then certainly they should play for the championship if that is truly what the game is supposed to be. If you want to go back to the old bowl system and just have a pretty matchup against 2 good teams that you'd like to see play, then that is where the the statements of "not wanting to see a rematch" come into play. But with this game designated by the BCS as a championship game, I think Michigan has every bit as much of a claim on playing the Buckeyes as anyone else, and arguably the best claim. There should not be any consideratiosn at all toward whether the game would be a rematch or not. And if tsun was generally regarded as the #2 team in the nation priror to Saturday, how in the world is anything different today?
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Too many people in high places are already biased against the Big Ten anyway. It just eats at these same people that OSU was the #1 team. I look for USC to play OSU in the NC game.
    IMHO, I think USC should pull away from any conference and become independent. Talk about a team that never plays anybody or plays an easy schedule.
    Ummm...USC has the #3 strenth of schedule in the country and it will likely rise after the ND game. 80% of the Pac-10 is bowl eligible. The Pac-10 is a very good conference.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 11-19-2006 at 12:00 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Ummm...USC has the #3 strenth of schedule in the country and it will likely rise after the ND game. 80% of the Pac-10 is bowl eligible. The Pac-10 is a very good conference.
    And they played Arkansas, Nebraska and ND as their out of conference schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    And they played Arkansas, Nebraska and ND as their out of conference schedule.
    80% of the Pac-10 is bowl eligible. How many other conferences can say that?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Here's my top 5 after yesterday's games.

1. OSU
    2. USC
    3. Michigan
    4. Arkansas
    5. Florida

If ND beats USC, then Michigan is back in the title game IMO. If USC wins out, then they are in the game.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

1. OSU
    2. USC
    3. Michigan
    4. Arkansas
    5. Florida

If ND beats USC, then Michigan is back in the title game IMO. If USC wins out, then they are in the game.

As much as I'd like to see them play again, it's pretty hard to argue with that.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Any other year I wouldn't advocate a rematch. However, this year, college football in total is down. I've watched many games and I'm not impressed. I think we all watched the two best teams in the nation last night and the way that the game was played, on a crappy field, in the Horsehshoe all adds to Michigan deserves another shot on a neutral field. Now, if OSU would have won by 2 touchdowns, I would have said no. But based on that game, and the depth of talent in college this year, it spells a rematch. MWM gave the scenarios...If USC beats ND and UCLA, they probably deserve shot #1. Next, if Florida remains unbeaten they probably deserve shot #2. If Florida loses and USC gets beat by ND, Michigan deserves shot #3. I don't think any of the teams play with either Michigan or OSU. I believe the best game would be a rematch. USC, ND, Florida or Arkansas wouldn't stay within 17 pts of the Buckeyes. OSU would beat ND by 28 points, IMO.
    VBR IS LIVING IN CINCINNATI...I FEEL GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

1. OSU
    2. USC
    3. Michigan
    4. Arkansas
    5. Florida

USC lost to Oregon St.

They have no business in the championship game IMO.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

no conference title
    no shot at National title
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Turn Off Ads?