Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Prospectus: Reds Top 10 prospects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Baseball Prospectus: Reds Top 10 prospects

Excellent Prospects
    1. Homer Bailey, RHP "he's damn good and he knows it"
    2. Jay Bruce, RF "Advanced hitter with strong, quick wrists and plenty of in-game power"
    Very Good Prospects
    3. Joey Votto, 1B " Athletic first baseman combines solid hitting skills with plus power and patience"
    Good Prospects
    4. Drew Stubbs, CF "Among the best athletes in the game, with size, speed, and tons of raw power potential"
    5. Johnny Cueto, RHP "Thrived after moving to the rotation..."
    6. Travis Wood, LHP "Lefty with impressive arsenal"
    7. Sean Watson, LHP "Aggressive demeanor; commands his pitches well despite questionable mechanics"
    Average Prospects
    8. Milton Loo, SS/3B "Quick hands and excellent plate coverage leads to line drives sprayed from pole-to-pole"
    9. Chris Valaika, SS "Ultra-quick bat with gap power"
    10. Paul Janish, SS "A decent hitter who makes plenty of contact "

Of the Reds farm system:

"The beginning of this decade was marked by bad drafts, bad player development, and some just plain ol' bad luck, leaving the Reds system as one of the worst in baseball. While the Bailey/Bruce combination completely changes the equation, the relative lack of talent at Double- and Triple-A means the organization will still be paying the price for the previous administration's foibles for another couple of years."

To see the entire article (Premium content on Baseball Prosepctus : http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5713
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Baseball Prospectus: Reds Top 10 prospects

Hmmm...

The Sleeper: Signed in 2003 as a 39th-round draft-and-follow, right-handed reliever Calvin Medlock gets little attention but continues to get batters out at every level, putting up a 2.97 ERA this year at Double-A Chattanooga with 70 strikeouts in 63.2 innings. Despite being listed at 5-foot-10 and looking smaller than that, Medlock deals in the low-90s, touches 95-96 mph, and features a very good changeup.

I didn't see this list last year so I don't know if it is more or less, but for a credible group like Baseball Prospectus to say the Reds have 7 good or better prospects is hopeful IMO. 4 are pitchers, 2 look like cornerstone bats and the other was last years 1st round pick.

Many of these websites are fly by night operations that know no more than we do, but BP knows what its doing.

In March of 2006 the same author said in summary:
    - the Reds system is awful
    - After Bailey, Bruce and Wood the list is depleted of good players.
    - The Reds lack any players at the upper levels who project as regulars.

I'd say having 7 guys considered good is a big leap forward. Bailey and Votto are upper levels now.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-19-2006 at 08:16 AM.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I didn't see this list last year so I don't know if it is more or less...

I'm pretty sure Kevin Goldstein didn't come on board until '06. If I'm correct, this will bethe first year that Prospectus ranks each team's top 10 prospects, let alone putting them in tiers like Great, Good, etc.

It will be interesting in 5-10 years to compare their listed results to Baseball America and John Sickels and others.
    Stick to your guns.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Heck, of the guys they listed in the top 10, Bailey, Votto, Janish and probably Cueto will start the season at AA or AAA. I think there is talent outside of those guys that will be at AA/AAA after those guys as well.

I will continue to be disappointed with the conversion of Medlock to reliever last season. I firmly believe you give guys that have performed, as he has, every chance as a starter. The caveat to that would be bringing them to the majors as relievers as a transition easer. Getting overly concerned about stature and build would have left P. Martinez and Oswalt as relievers in this system too I suppose? Is this the year that Cueto gets converted to a reliever as well?

Is this the year that Cueto gets converted to a reliever as well?
    That's what BP said, but they also said he had a "rudimentary" changeup. From everything I heard, Cueto developed a good changeup this season, I seriously doubt Cueto will be converted any time in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    I will continue to be disappointed with the conversion of Medlock to reliever last season. I firmly believe you give guys that have performed, as he has, every chance as a starter. The caveat to that would be bringing them to the majors as relievers as a transition easer. Getting overly concerned about stature and build would have left P. Martinez and Oswalt as relievers in this system too I suppose? Is this the year that Cueto gets converted to a reliever as well?
    Oh God I hope not. That would beyond stupid. Imagine Harang, Bailey, and Cueto in a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    I am not. Medlock gets that extra "bounce" in the bullpen while he throws 89-92 while starting with NO changeup. Hopefully the doubters will understand the differences between Medlock and Roy Oswalt. Cueto has a better chance of starting because he has developing changeup and better arm.

I am simply amazed some of you can't get it yet lol.........

Joey Votto is underrated big time. Joey Votto belongs in the elite class of prospects with Bailey. He's patient, power, speed, and defense. The only reason he's so low on some people's list is because he only showed up this year. He's going to be a MAJOR contributer to the ball club in 2008.

I don't think its wise to put Votto higher up on the list after 1 good year... He made major progress, but I wouldn't put him in the elite class of prospects just yet..He could get there with another big year, but let him prove it before putting him in that class.

He is a fine prospect - I dont know if I see a perinnial allstar or not, but he should be a solid everyday guy I think. Thats a good prospect, but not a great one.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Advanced hitter with strong, quick wrists and plenty of in-game power
    Just checking....what would qualify as 'in-game' power?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post

Power that shows up in the game and not just in batting practice... ?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Power that shows up in the game and not just in batting practice... ?
    great, does that mean we'll start seeing 'in-game' defense, 'in-game' speed...etc?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    There's a lot of those 5 o'clock hitters, around.

Turn Off Ads?