Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Reds sign Mike Stanton

Re: Reds sign Mike Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    And he had his Waterloo, what, 2 weeks later?

So I'm off by a few starts.

Big deal.
    Well, if you say it long enough, eventually you will be right.

But, I'm just goofing on you buddy. I think most people mistakenly get side-tracked by your bluster and grand statements and miss the core truth of what you are saying.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AP Story

Quote Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
    Zito?
    I'd be excited if this happened too, but I wonder if Zito would be a good signing for the Reds. I know it would be a long shot anyway, but I think we'd have to commit way too much money in order to sign someone like that. He's been inconsistent at best over the past few years, and I don't think his measurables match-up well with GAB. Isn't he a flyball pitcher? The one thing he has going for him is age (28), but then again so does someone like Gil Meche, who would be cheaper and (I think) induces more ground balls. Also, if you think about the other former A's pitchers (Hudson and Mulder) who broke down shortly after leaving Beane, Zito gets even scarier.

Am I off base here?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Hal McCoys article stated the Reds expect Stanton to be the closer. This is going to turn out very badly. I have no clue what WK sees in Stanton.

Reds to announce signing of left-handed reliever Stanton
    The 39-year-old, who played for the Giants last season, is expected to fill the closer's role.

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Monday, November 20, 2006

On a balmy spring day in 1997, then Cincinnati Reds general manager Jim Bowden extracted a jersey from his desk drawer and held it up, the back facing writers sitting in his office, displaying the name on the jersey: "Stanton."

Bowden thought he had the left-handed relief pitcher signed to a free agent contract, but the New York Yankees spirited him away with more money and Bowden owned a useless jersey.

Now, nearly 10 years later, that jersey can be used. The Reds and Stanton are expected to announce soon that they have agreed to a two-year contract. The Reds will announce Stanton's signing and the signing of free agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez sometime this week.

Stanton is expected to fill the closer's role after registering eight saves late last season for the San Francisco Giants, who wanted Stanton back. But when the Giants wouldn't guarantee the second year on a new contract, Reds GM Wayne Krivsky offered to guarantee the second year and the deal was done.

Bowden did eventually get his man. As GM for the Washington Nationals, Bowden twice acquired Stanton in trades, but when he started last season 3-5 with no saves and a 4.47 ERA in 56 games he was traded to the Giants.

With the Giants he was 4-2 with eight saves and a 3.09 ERA in 26 appearances.

Stanton auditioned well for Krivsky in December, recording two saves in three days against the Reds on Sept. 4 and Sept 6, protecting one-run leads on both days. On Sept. 4, Stanton struck out the last two hitters, getting Adam Dunn on a called third strike, to preserve a 5-4 lead.

Asked the difference in his year between Washington and San Francisco, the 39-year-old 6-1, 215-pounder said of his Giants experience, "I spent a lot more time in the strike zone, especially early in the count. For anybody, that is a bonus. I had a little more adrenaline pitching in a pennant race (for the Giants). I've always been one to thrive in big games."

During his 18-year career he is 67-60 with 84 saves and a 3.81 ERA while pitching for Atlanta, Boston, Texas, the New York Yankees, New York Mets, Washington and San Francisco.

Gonzalez, shortstop for the Boston Red Sox last season, has agreed to a three-year $14 million contract pending his passing of a physical examination.

Krivsky said it would remain to be seen until Spring Training whether or not Stanton will be closing games, and Stanton claims it doesn't matter either way to him.

Stanton has never been a good closer.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Stanton is expected to fill the closer's role
    Let's hope that's pure speculation on Hal's part. Let's also hope Hal is completely wrong.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Let's hope that's pure speculation on Hal's part. Let's also hope Hal is completely wrong.
    With Hal's crack staff of editors and fact checkers, I'd be very surprised if this was correct.

It's amazing what kind of free passes you get with a lifetime achievement award...

How's that workin for Dan Rather?

Re: AP Story

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'd be excited if this happened too, but I wonder if Zito would be a good signing for the Reds. I know it would be a long shot anyway, but I think we'd have to commit way too much money in order to sign someone like that. He's been inconsistent at best over the past few years, and I don't think his measurables match-up well with GAB. Isn't he a flyball pitcher? The one thing he has going for him is age (28), but then again so does someone like Gil Meche, who would be cheaper and (I think) induces more ground balls. Also, if you think about the other former A's pitchers (Hudson and Mulder) who broke down shortly after leaving Beane, Zito gets even scarier.

Am I off base here?
    You are right on IMO. Lots of baserunners (1.40 WHIP) and he would give up Homers in Cincy. The ball dies in Oakland.

Zito

IMO Zito isn't an ace but will get paid like one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    If the payroll is so tight that 2.5 mil matters we best get out of this game. Contract us!
    I think that WK is wasting a lot more than just $2.5 million. Btw Rheal, Stanton and AGon, that adds up to a pretty good FA. Throw in a Votto for Hatte switcheroo and now we're talking.

Turn Off Ads?