Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Mike Stanton a Red

Re: Mike Stanton a Red

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Chris "Mad Dog" Russo on WFAN really knows baseball and is a hugh Giants fan. (Thats all he knows). Russo said Stanton was solid last year and still has something left. But he was flabergasted at the amount of money the Reds spent for him. He said it was rediculous. He also feels that Sorriano was overpaid but that the Cubs needed to make a statement. He likes the Mets picking up Alou. He thinks its clear that every team is rolling in money and have a lot to spend.
    Chris chirps about a lot of things. How is $5.5M over 2 years a lot of money. That's practically the league minimum in this market.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Chris chirps about a lot of things. How is $5.5M over 2 years a lot of money.
    Agreed.

According to CBS Sportline, the MLB average salary for 2006 was $2,866,544.

That figure will rise this year.

At $5.5 million over two years, Stanton will average $2,750,000 per year.

So if Staton is a little below average, we'll be paying the going rate.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Agreed.

According to CBS Sportline, the MLB average salary for 2006 was $2,866,544.

That figure will rise this year.

At $5.5 million over two years, Stanton will average $2,750,000 per year.

So if Staton is a little below average, we'll be paying the going rate.
    Average salary for what? Middle relief? $2.75 million is a lot for a 39 yr old reliever. I think other positions raise that average up just a tad.

I'm not liking this signing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Chris chirps about a lot of things. How is $5.5M over 2 years a lot of money. That's practically the league minimum in this market.
    You're right. Russo reported that it was 8 mill. for two years. Typical.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Average salary for what? Middle relief? $2.75 million is a lot for a 39 yr old reliever. I think other positions raise that average up just a tad.

I'm not liking this signing at all.
    Me neither. This is what we got Cormier for. The cash goes quick buying and tossing RPs at over $2 mm a pop.

(Yeah, I know Cormier isn't good...but then why'd we get him...contract extension and all).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Average salary for what? Middle relief?...I think other positions raise that average up just a tad.
    All players on last year's opening day rosters.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...keith#20061120

Mike Stanton reportedly has agreed to a two-year deal to pitch in Cincinnati. It's interesting to see the Reds spending what cash they have on spare parts like a left-handed reliever and a backup shortstop (Alex Gonzalez, who can field but can't hit) when their rotation includes just two capable starters.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I'm pretty sure AG is not going to be the backup shortstop. Mike Stanton essentially fills Mercks spot as the veteran reliever. If you look at the other pieces in the REDS bullpen they are pretty inexperienced. As much talent as you have your going to need to have steadying influence which is what Stanton will be.

They are committing a little over $5 mill to Stanton and Gonzo which is much less than what some other teams are committing to that position.

Is veteran reliever a position?

Is it like "guy who's going to marry his gal back home after his tour of duty" in a war movie?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    I'm pretty sure AG is not going to be the backup shortstop. Mike Stanton essentially fills Mercks spot as the veteran reliever. If you look at the other pieces in the REDS bullpen they are pretty inexperienced. As much talent as you have your going to need to have steadying influence which is what Stanton will be.

They are committing a little over $5 mill to Stanton and Gonzo which is much less than what some other teams are committing to that position.
    The Gonzales and Stanton deals add up to $20 M.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The Gonzales and Stanton deals add up to $20 M.
    I think he means next season.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

All players on last year's opening day rosters.
    Exactly. Middle relievers are typically paid a lot less than other positions. He's probably in the upper half (if not much higher) of middle relievers.

Middle relievers are typically paid a lot less than other positions. He's probably in the upper half (if not much higher) of middle relievers.
    Possibly. Can you substantiate that? It might be interesting to know.

Exactly. Middle relievers are typically paid a lot less than other positions. He's probably in the upper half (if not much higher) of middle relievers.
    They're not paid less for innings pitched.

Relief innings are the most expensive innings of all, getting more expensive on up to closer, the most expensive of all.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Possibly. Can you substantiate that? It might be interesting to know.
    Here's from 2000. Still looking for more recent. But note that the numbers for relievers would include closers as well, which would drive that figure up as well. The again, Stanton could be the closer, which in itself is about a 100 page thread.

Average 2000 salaries by position, as compiled by the Major League Baseball Players Association. Deferred income without interest is discounted nine% per year. Figures include first basemen, second basemen, third basemen, shortstops, catchers and outfielders with 100 or more games at the position; designated hitters with 80 or more games as DHs; starting pitchers with 19 or more starts and relief pitchers with 10 or fewer starts and 25 or more relief apperances

Position Average Players
    First base $4,996,933 24
    Outfield 3,480,792 79
    DH 3,366,872 5
    Second base 3,158,209 23
    Starting Pitcher 3,064,021 126
    Catcher 2,767,726 17
    Shortstop 2,504,993 26
    Third base 2,484,428 18
    Relief Pitcher 1,220,412 165

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...0.htm#position

Turn Off Ads?