Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who could replace Aurilia?

Who could replace Aurilia?

I know pitching should be the priority, but with Aurilia surely gone, who is out there to replace him? I believe they need to search for a similar type versatile veteran capable of platooning with Hatteberg and filling in at other positions.

Mark Bellhorn comes to mind. He didn't have a great season with San Diego, but the GAB might be an incentive for a one year contract. He is a better hitter from the right side so platooning at first might help him put up some decent numbers. Also, I am pretty sure he is free since he signed last winter for only one year with the Padres.

I am not a huge Bellhorn fan, but who else is out there? Eduardo Perez has been mentioned, but he can't fill in at second or third. However, if Dunn is traded, the reds would certainly need more power from first base.

Any ideas?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who could replace Aurilia?

Considering that the Reds appear disinclined to give Freel an everyday spot I would guess that he may become the spot starter at 3rd and maybe 2nd. That leaves a RH platoon partner for Hatteberg. I think Perez would fill that role fairly nicely.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Considering that the Reds appear disinclined to give Freel an everyday spot I would guess that he may become the spot starter at 3rd and maybe 2nd. That leaves a RH platoon partner for Hatteberg. I think Perez would fill that role fairly nicely.
    Yeah Eduardo Perez could platoon with either Votto or Hatteberg.

I like Freel in the super sub role.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I like him in the super lead off role everyday.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    And you like seeing his production drop then.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I agree. Freel is the Reds' best option for the leadoff spot. People claim he can't play fulltime because of his slumps, but is the same true of Dunn, Phillips, et al?

The Mets let Lenny Dykstra slip away because they didn't appreciate his skills. The Reds' lineup is more versatile with Freel at the top of the order.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Yeah Eduardo Perez could platoon with either Votto or Hatteberg.

Even if Freel is a sub, I can't see this organization opting for Perez. Defensively, he can really only play first. He is a poor outfielder and forget third.

Freel will be in the line-up for 120 to 140 games this year. He might be at several different position as a substitute, but if someone gets hurt, he becomes a starter. Aurilia's replacement really needs to be more versatile than Eduardo Perez.

I like the Bellhorn idea. I've always been a Bellhorn fan. He's one of the streakiest players in baseball, but maybe we'd get him on a hot streak.

But, I think Aaron Boone would be a better fit for Aurilia's old role. I think he could capably handle 2b/3b/ss in limited duty. And, GABP would be good for his offense. Not to mention, I'm sure the price is right.

Bellhorn and Boone are two guys I've always liked, so I wouldn't mind seeing either in Cincy in 2007.

Not into Aaron Boone anymore. He's a shell of the player from a few years ago. He and Bret both lost it early.

No one can replace Rich.

Craig Wilson.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Joey Votto

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Craig Wilson would be a great fit IMO. He kills lefties (.875 OPS), can play OF and even serve as an emergency catcher since we're so weak back there...

A bench of Castro, Wilson, Deno/Freel, Hopper, and Harris would cover the bases pretty well and give us options.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

And you like seeing his production drop then.
    It can't drop much more than sitting on the bench.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Craig Wilson.
    I second that.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Turn Off Ads?