Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubs sign Soriano to 8 year $136M deal

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Cubs sign Soriano to 8 year $136M deal

Outstanding point about DeRosa, how soon we forget about smaller moves when one of this stature comes along. I wonder if Houston now signs Carlos Lee if so then we better get busy signing yet another solid pitcher. The good news however is that if Lee does sign with Houston, then their LF defense is as bad or worse than ours. I actually say Dunn is better than either but Soriano can still get better.

BTW doesn't Chicago get to keep their early 1st rounder, even though they have signed Alfonso? Due to the fact that their pick is in the 1st 16.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

BTW, Bowden sure dropped the ball on Soriano.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...-roundup_x.htm

"The guys, the city, the team's pretty good," Soriano said. "I like it here, and I want to be a part of it for a long time."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I read that as "If Washington gives me as much money as somebody else, I'll stay around."

If that ball you speak of weighs $134MM, fans should be thrilled that he dropped it. Soriano, might, MIGHT be worth 18 million in his best year. But they've got him for 8.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

With the owners flush with cash and no end in sight, player salaries are climbing faster than the South Florida real estate market.

All the standards are being challenged, as well they should be.

If the money is there, the players are the rightful recipients, no matter how crazy it sounds on the surface.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

You can hardly blame Bowden for Soriano not wanting to play in Washington. Nobody is going to turn down 8 years/136 million, nobody. I know it's the Cubs but sheesh.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    You can hardly blame Bowden for Soriano not wanting to play in Washington. Nobody is going to turn down 8 years/136 million, nobody. I know it's the Cubs but sheesh.
    If he had dealt him he would have bodies and not an empty quote that dissuaded him to hold on to him. I don't blame Bowden for Soriano signing, but for not having that killer instinct to make hay off his hottest year.

If he had dealt him he would have bodies and not an empty quote that dissuaded him to hold on to him. I don't blame Bowden for Soriano signing, but for not having that killer instinct to make hay off his hottest year.
    Terribly reminiscent of the Reds isn't it?

While I don't think this is a good move for the Cubs, I don't relish the idea of the Reds pitching having to face him 18 times a year.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    Terribly reminiscent of the Reds isn't it?
    Who was the Reds last walk guy?

Greg Vaughn?

The Reds recent history is to get soft and ink the player (Larkin, Casey) or they let him slip into veto rights (Junior) or occasionally swing and miss, though they did hit it once...they did get something right when they got Harang (Guillen)

But they haven't got nothing like the Nationals are going to be getting in some time.

anyone else see Soriano not making it to an 800 OPS next year?
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    While I don't think this is a good move for the Cubs, I don't relish the idea of the Reds pitching having to face him 18 times a year.
    I agree. The only positive that comes out of this is that it wasn't the Cards who got him. You know he would absolutely crush the Reds if he played for the Cards.

Who was the Reds last walk guy?

Greg Vaughn?

The Reds recent history is to get soft and ink the player (Larkin, Casey) or they let him slip into veto rights (Junior) or occasionally swing and miss, though they did hit it once...they did get something right when they got Harang (Guillen)

But they haven't got nothing like the Nationals are going to be getting in some time.
    Excuse me, I should've been more clear. My point was not trading players when they had their highest value. I was slightly expanding on your thoughts though I didn;t express it. My point was that the Reds don't trade their players when they have their highest value. Yes they did trade Gullien at the right time but that was a cost cutting move enacted by Lindner during the firesale when they traded anyone and everyone. There have plenty of times where the Reds don't get the maximum value for players like Sean Casey. The Reds seem to always get the minimum value when they trade their players coming off their worst year.
    Last edited by harangatang; 11-19-2006 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    anyone else see Soriano not making it to an 800 OPS next year?
    I think he will play well for a couple years in Chicago. I hope you are right though.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Bowden's pride bit him in the booty because he didn't take the best offer at the deadline. He wanted a "Holy sh**" type return for Soriano and didn't get it so he ended up with nothin'.

And, the Cubs now have a very expensive player who can't pitch. With the new contract, I'm betting he reverts back to the 2004-2005 version of Soriano who wasn't playing for a big contract.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I am just picturing Soriano playing Wrigley LF for half of his games. Alfonso, wind, ivy and bricks should make for some good bloopers.

Turn Off Ads?