Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubs sign Soriano to 8 year $136M deal

Re: Cubs sign Soriano to 8 year $136M deal

Cubs sure spend a lot of money.

Why does this one have "albatross" all over it?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I am just picturing Soriano playing Wrigley LF for half of his games. Alfonso, wind, ivy and bricks should make some for some good bloopers.
    I think the Cubs think he can DH.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

This just negates any gain from the Pinella hire and insures the Scrubs will be the Scrubs for years to come. Smething tells me that all that moneywill give Soriano the security to take sulking and complaining to hitherto undreamed of depths - beyond a mere art form to the realms of the transcendant.

Never pegged Lou as the kind to kiss anyone's arse, but I'll bet Alf tries to make it so.. Should make for enthralling reality TV.

Rotoworld is reporting that he will play centerfield and bat leadoff!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is the Cubs I know and love.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    With the owners flush with cash and no end in sight, player salaries are climbing faster than the South Florida real estate market.

All the standards are being challenged, as well they should be.

If the money is there, the players are the rightful recipients, no matter how crazy it sounds on the surface.
    Good point. It's all relative to the amount of money in the game. Owners are only spending because they've got it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Soriano in Wrigley could become the first leadoff man to hit 50 homers. Soriano is the perfect bat for 5th or 6th where both his power and speed are valuable but his OBP issues are minimized. I would love to see the Cubbies lead him off.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

8 years is a surprise. But I was thinking 6 years at $20 per. This doesn't shock me at all. Reds44 is right about Dunn. He's a steal IMO.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Rotoworld is reporting that he will play centerfield and bat leadoff!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is the Cubs I know and love.
    This just in. Alfonso has refused to play centerfield. He claims that he has now mastered LF and wants to play to his strengths. This is a developing story, stay tuned for updates.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Breaking News! Lou has just been told about Soriano's refusal to play centerfield

Man Pills

I wonder how far up Jocketty drove the price for Soriano before walking away from the table?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    8 years is a surprise. But I was thinking 6 years at $20 per. This doesn't shock me at all. Reds44 is right about Dunn. He's a steal IMO.
    I can't call Dunn a "steal" in comparison. As a leadoff guy, he had more HRs, more RBI, a much higher avg, more hits, more runs and a ton of SBs than Dunn. And he is either improving or at least staying th same in most categories, especially his walk rate.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I can't call Dunn a "steal" in comparison. As a leadoff guy, he had more HRs, more RBI, a much higher avg, more hits, more runs and a ton of SBs than Dunn. And he is either improving or at least staying th same in most categories, especially his walk rate.
    I'll take Dunn for 2 years, 23 mil. over Soriano for 8 years 136 mil.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I don't know. Soriano is older and has only had an OPS over .900 once. In the two previous years to 2006 didn't even OPS .825 in a premier hitters park. Sorianos average OPS the last 3 years is .843. Dunn's "bad" year in 2006 is higher. I don't think the SBs add value unless he's on my fantasy team.

I'm betting that by the time this market is finished adjusting, Dunn's $13 Million next year will be considered very low even for a guy who puts up the 2006 version of Dunn's numbers. Rumor is Juan Pierre is set to sign for 3 years $30 Million. Dunn's a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'll take Dunn for 2 years, 23 mil. over Soriano for 8 years 136 mil.
    How about when you have limited payroll constraints?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't know. Soriano is older and has only had an OPS over .900 once. In the two previous years to 2006 didn't even OPS .825 in a premier hitters park. Sorianos average OPS the last 3 years is .843. Dunn's "bad" year in 2006 is higher. I don't think the SBs add value unless he's on my fantasy team.

I'm betting that by the time this market is finished adjusting, Dunn's $13 Million next year will be considered very low even for a guy who puts up the 2006 version of Dunn's numbers. Rumor is Juan Pierre is set to sign for 3 years $30 Million. Dunn's a steal.
    I don't know many .230 hitters who make $13 million. No matter what their walk rate is.

Turn Off Ads?