Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Cubs sign Soriano to 8 year $136M deal

Re: Cubs sign Soriano to 8 year $136M deal

Already did...it was kind of a loaded question.
    Loaded... cool, we're playing games now.

For his career

Soriano 1 RBI every 7.6 PA's - 1 Run every 6.6 PA

Dunn 1 RBI every 7.4 PA's - 1 Run every 6.4 PA

60% of Sorianos HR's have been solo for his career (57% for Dunn) and he had 2 months last year that are as scary as Dunns.

June -.207/.302/.396/.698
    September - 204/.298/.343/.641

IMO the man is as much an enigma as Dunn is and boy is he getting payed a lot of cash now, and for a lonnnnnnnng time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

For his career

60% of Sorianos HR's have been solo for his career (57% for Dunn) and he had 2 months last year that are as scary as Dunns.

IMO the man is as much an enigma as Dunn is and boy is he getting payed a lot of cash now, and for a lonnnnnnnng time.
    And he'll be in his decline by year 3.

Not to mention the attitude.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Seriously?

For his career

Talk about games...there is a lot of underlying data that you are forgetting to mention when quoting these stats.

1) 61.8% of Soriano's ABs in his career have been with the bases empty. Dunn's...56.4%.
    2) June and September for Soriano were as scary as which months for Dunn? He hit .221 or under in 4 different months.
    3) I realize that there are a lot of factors in scoring a run (i.e., performance of people hitting behind you), but Dunn has a career OBP of .055 higher than Soriano and all he can muster is that much of an advantage in runs per PA? Just more evidence of why OBP is overrated and why it does not automatically mean more runs scored.

If a team like Chicago has the money (which they do) then there is no reason why this contract is any worse than many of the contracts already in the game today. To lock up players now, you must give them long-term contracts like this. If I was a GM in the game today, I would frontload contracts like this to make them more attractive in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    And he'll be in his decline by year 3.
    While AD is declining now.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Soriano in Wrigley could become the first leadoff man to hit 50 homers. Soriano is the perfect bat for 5th or 6th where both his power and speed are valuable but his OBP issues are minimized. I would love to see the Cubbies lead him off.
    Brady Anderson, 1996 Baltimore Orioles: 50 HRs
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Talk about games...there is a lot of underlying data that you are forgetting to mention when quoting these stats.
    There always is, it's unavoidable.

2) June and September for Soriano were as scary as which months for Dunn? He hit .221 or under in 4 different months.
    While AD is declining now.
    First off I don't care too much about BA, it's not on my radar as much as yours.

Second you seem to link Adam Dunn's year at age of 26 with his whole career and likewise with Soriano except he's age 30.

If you want to trumpet decline then don't forget to revisit Sorianos seasons in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Brady Anderson, 1996 Baltimore Orioles: 50 HRs
    15 in the #2 slot, I looked it up earlier.

One other tidbit...Soriano's VORP was 48.2 last season while Dunn's was 23.5. I think his contract is pretty in line with Dunn's.

15 in the #2 slot, I looked it up earlier.
    Sorry. The website that I used didn't break it down by batting slot. I just knew that Brady90210 was the Orioles' primary leadoff man that year.

Likewise, if Soriano does hit 50 this year, chances are that not all of them will be in the leadoff slot--especially with the way that Lou likes to tinker with his lineups. (And I don't mean that as a slam against Lou--I think he is great. But it is a fact that he used a lot of lineups and used players in a lot of different batting slots when he managed the Reds.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Second you seem to link Adam Dunn's year at age of 26 with his whole career and likewise with Soriano except he's age 30.

If you want to trumpet decline then don't forget to revisit Sorianos seasons in Texas.
    From Gammons' article today:

Soriano, who will be 31 in January, has ascended offensively the last three years. His OPS has risen from .808 to .821 to .911, his steals from 18 to 30 to 41, his homers from 28 to 36 to 46.
    In those same years, here's some relevant Dunn statistics:

BA: .266-.247-.233
    OBP: .388-.387-.365
    SLG: .569-.540-.495
    HR: 46-40-40

I am going off of what these two players have been doing in the recent past. Dunn obviosuly has time to turn it around, but this past year was an absolute plummet.

I may put more into BA than most people here, but it is a stat which can't be absolutely ignored. It's quite obvious that BA has value. Hits are better than walks.

Wait, why did this become about Soriano vs. Dunn? I love Adam Dunn and I desperately want him on the Reds, but I wouldn't give him an eight-year contract if you covered me in chicken grease and set me on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Wait, why did this become about Soriano vs. Dunn? I love Adam Dunn and I desperately want him on the Reds, but I wouldn't give him an eight-year contract if you covered me in chicken grease and set me on fire.
    It was posted that Dunn's contract is a bargain compared to Soriano's.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It was posted that Dunn's contract is a bargain compared to Soriano's.
    Oh, well, I would say it is. I would say most contracts in baseball are bargains compared to Soriano's.

It's not even the money that concerns me as much as the length of it. You just don't sign a player of that age and ability for eight years. Dunn's contract is better value because it's a far less amount of money for a far fewer number of years. It's foreseeable future. He's very likely to produce at some decent level for the next couple of years, even if it's not his best. Eight years is a bunch of question marks that increase in size year by year.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?