Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brave New World

Brave New World

Soriano's contract today represents more than just an insane amount of money paid to a ballplayer.

Baseball is flush. There can be no more denying it. This is just the most visible sign we've seen.

The speed and ease with which the owners and players union reached agreement on the CBA speaks volumes. They know they've got a good thing going, and for once they decided not to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

And there's plenty more money on the horizon. MLB is expanding its reach into other countries and other marketing opportunities. The internet and pay per view may be the biggest untapped resource yet for the future.

For many years, the balance swung back and forth between the owners crying poor and the players crying foul. Now it looks like there's so much money in the game to be had that they all make out like bandits.

Contracts signed in the last couple of years are looking much better now with numbers being tossed around like the Soriano deal. Kind of like buying a house in a hot market. What seems like a big payment today will seem pretty reasonable in a couple of years of appreciation in the marketplace.

For those who think the salaries are driving ticket prices upward, that's just not the way it works. Each franchise charges what they think their market will allow, regardless of their payroll.

And I've always been of the opinion that the players should be the recipients of any such windfalls. Nobody pays to see the owners. I'm all for them making a fair profit, but it's still a players game and the average career is far too short.

So, buckle up your seatbelts. We're going to see numbers that were previously thought impossible in the next few years, IMO.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brave New World

Great post as always RFS62. I hear people on here and everywhere else talking about the prices and years of contracts that are being given out are just flat out crazy. Yes they are crazy but if every one of the contracts are crazy then doesnt that create a new normal? 5 million is a lot like 2.5 last year and 2-3 years is like a 1 year contract then.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. The prices arent too high now but that is going to be the new normal. I personally believe we have yet to see the new normal but we are on our way there.

Some will say its bad for the game. But i personally think its amazing. Baseball is a business. And just like other billion dollar industries they are seeing that the world wide market is huge now...this isnt the 20th century anymore. Baseball is just starting to see that there are many more fields that they can harvest the game in...be it the internet, tv deals, world wide market, team owned stations. All of those are fields that have never fully been harvested by baseball....That is soon going to change and it will be to baseball fans world wide's benifit

I think it's going to take me a few years to really discover how I feel about this. The Soriano contract is, I think, different from any other I can remember and I'm not sure why.

At this point I can kind of see both sides. I don't have much of a capitalistic side, but I don't have much of a sentimental one either. I hate the idea of what such a big business can do to smaller people, but I also deplore a sentimental view of the sport's past that cannot, and should not, exist anymore.

Good posts guys.

Yet we still hear complaints about $5 million (or slightly less), a year for Gonzalez, a starting shortstop. This is small change in today's market. If the average payroll soon is say $75 or 80 million a year, the Reds will need to spend that much too, if not more, to be a contender.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Who will be the first player to make over 30M for a year? TTBMK, no one makes or has made 30M in a year.

What year will the contract happen? 2008? 2009?

Man Pills

Miranda uses the word "brave" as in "o brave new world" in The Tempest to mean "beautiful, or remarkable."

I guess that beats "crapulent new world." Which is kind of awesome in its own right.

Certainly current events make you wonder if Bud Selig really needs a fresh supply of "greater fools" as desperatly as he once claimed.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Who will be the first player to make over 30M for a year? TTBMK, no one makes or has made 30M in a year.

It hasn't happened in baseball, but Michael Jordan made 30+ in '97 and '98. That said, Michael Jordan is the defining athlete of the generation, not merely an all-star talent who has never been real marketable.

It's interesting in light of the collective bargaining agreement that the level of salary stratification due to the arbitration system is increasing. A 27 year old all-star might make 1MM because he's still in arbitration, where a below average 37 year old reliever gets 3MM because there's so much money to be had.

I think this issue might be central in the next cba.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I wonder if the Trib is paying Soriano this kind of money because they may not have to pay it. There are rumors going around that the Trib is going to sell the Cubs. Re-signing Ramirez, having Lee locked up for several years, hiring Lou, re-signing a popular Kerry Wood and now picking up Soriano may all be a way to make the Cubs more valuable in a sale.

It's funny how things change in a few short years. I don't think it was more than 3 years ago that they were talking contraction and the Devil Rays allegedly couldn't make their payroll. Now everyone is swimming in a sea of money.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post

I know this isnt exactly what you mean but pretty much the Red Sox are paying well over 30 million this year. I know its different and its only one year of the contract but i dont think 30 million is as untouchable as people think. Give it a few years.

As for players reaching free agency and arbitration....i have a strong feeling that will be changing in the next 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder if the Trib is paying Soriano this kind of money because they may not have to pay it. There are rumors going around that the Trib is going to sell the Cubs. Re-signing Ramirez, having Lee locked up for several years, hiring Lou, re-signing a popular Kerry Wood and now picking up Soriano may all be a way to make the Cubs more valuable in a sale.
    That's gross. I know it's business, but it's still gross. And the Tribune is a bad paper too. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    That's gross. I know it's business, but it's still gross. And the Tribune is a bad paper too. So there.
    This from a guy on my alma mater's message board who's a Cubs' fan and lives in Chicago:

Quote Originally Posted by SteinPizza
    The sale of the team speculation is starting to heat up again, now that Gannett (which last I knew owned the Register) has made a buyout bid for Tribune Co. There are also two California based billionaires who've submitted a bid which includes the baseball operations. Speculation has it that Gannett would sell the Cubs to a third party if they won out.
    I would think Gannett would have to sell the Cubs since I believe they still own a piece of the Reds. Although that probably wouldn't phase Bud much. It appears that these two billionaires own the Chicago Wolves - which I believe is a minor league hockey team. Evidently they want to buy the team, the park, and WGN - both the TV and radio stations.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I would think Gannett would have to sell the Cubs since I believe they still own a piece of the Reds. Although that probably wouldn't phase Bud much. It appears that these two billionaires own the Chicago Wolves - which I believe is a minor league hockey team. Evidently they want to buy the team, the park, and WGN - both the TV and radio stations.
    I'm not sure if your alma mater buddy's quote refers to the duo of (three actually) billionaires that want to bid for the LA Times or someone else that owns some other minor league franchises. Either way, the entire Tribune empire appears to be up for bid so the idea that they would spend that much money for Soriano and not worry about ever having to pay it out makes some sense to me.

Rem

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The rising tide of revenue in the game is floating a lot of boats. The boats aren't floating any higher and there aren't any more of them than before, but they're sure requiring a lot more water to stay afloat than they used to.

I'm usually one of the first people to say that we should be willing to pay from our own pockets at the ballpark for a bigger payroll. Yet part of me thinks that it's too bad that some of that TV money couldn't be used to lower ticket and concession prices, too.

This from a guy on my alma mater's message board who's a Cubs' fan and lives in Chicago:

Gannett was among the group of owners who divested themselves of their share of the Reds, so they no longer have a stake in the team.

Turn Off Ads?