Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Danys Baez as closer?

Danys Baez as closer?

Rotoworld mentioned that Baez wants the opportunity to close, and listed the Reds, Royals, and Marlins as his possible destinations. Thoughts?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Danys Baez as closer?

I think he would be a good target. I just hope he's not really asking for 3 years 21 million like Gammons said.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Baez strikes me as sort of your classic "talent to be a middle reliever, but can handle a closer role" type -- like David Weathers. He'll strike a few guys out, has decent control, and keeps the ball in the yard. In this market, if we can get him at 6MM or so, I'd be fine with that.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Old Red Guard Reject

.711 OPS in a down year last year. Sub-.700 OPS the three years previous. Saved 41 in 2005. Doesn't walk a lot of batters. I wouldn't complain if they signed him.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Gary Redus Ruled

He's bears watching. I'd like to see him here.
    Hoping for another Reds October

Reds' signing of Stanton means the pen now is:

Stanton, Cormier, Bray -- left
    Majewski, Belisle (unless he starts), Coffey -- right

I see a right handed closer in the future. Can't see 4 lefties in the pen. Baez seems to make sense.

I can see signing Baez to a 3 year 15-18 million deal,and would be really excited about it.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I don't see Cincinnati being attractive for Baez, unless we throw a lot of money at him.

I don't support throwing a lot of money at Baez, we have other needs before a closer, mainly a #3 starter.

no, no, no!

Baez is a classic Danny Graves with more stuff closer. He implodes about once a week. Great stuff, looks unhittable sometimes, but has severe mental lapses quite often.

As a middle reliever I'd love the guy. As a closer too much stress for us fans.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

As a middle reliever I'd love the guy. As a closer too much stress for us fans.
    But is he better than what we already have in-house?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Baez is worth 5 or 6 million a year.He has saved over 40 games in a season and throws hard.He gets wild on occassion but what closer doesnt.Baez is worth taking a shot at if the money is right.Nothing over 6 million a year and no more than 3 years.

Gary Redus Ruled

I see Octavio Dotel in our future.....
    Hoping for another Reds October

Dotel isnt a bad option either.He would probably come cheaper.

Dotel couldn't cut it as the closer in Houston though...

Your right fan,but hes better than anyone we have now.

Turn Off Ads?