Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup catcher?

Backup catcher?

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports the Cincinnati Reds are close to signing free-agent C Alberto Castillo (Nationals) to a minor-league contract with the hopes he will compete for a backup job in spring training.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Backup catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports the Cincinnati Reds are close to signing free-agent C Alberto Castillo (Nationals) to a minor-league contract with the hopes he will compete for a backup job in spring training.
    Huh?

You mean Ross, Larue, and Valentin and we still need a backup catcher? Something must be brewing. Has to be.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Huh?

You mean Ross, Larue, and Valentin and we still need a backup catcher? Something must be brewing. Has to be.
    What we need is someone beyond those three. Our minor league Cs are next to worthless right now.

Anyone have his stats available? (I'll look in the meantime)

Where is Sardinha? I thought he was the perpetual minor league catcher!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Who is in the market for a catcher right now -- either starter or capable backup? The Sox and Yankees come immediately to mind.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Where is Sardinha? I thought he was the perpetual minor league catcher!
    Dane's still trying to hit out of a paper sack.

And he's 30.

The new minor league perpetual catcher's gonna be Miguel Perez.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Im wondering if the Tribune has mixed up its info. Last I heard (from Rotoworld) Castillo was close to signing a minor league contract with the RED Sox.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=MLB&id=2074

I've heard the name Gregg Zaun thrown around the grapevine. No link or source that I can speak of, but I've heard it. Take it for what it is worth, bc I heard it from someone close to Zaun.

I heard that Zaun was seeking around $3 million a year. Pass...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

If the Reds sign another C in the next couple days or weeks look for a deal or 2 involving Larue or and Ross.

this would be just another of Krisky's minor moves. low or zero cost with potential to help the club.

no big deal.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

I'll take Castillo. Good juice behind the plate.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Zaun is a bit like Dave Ross, with a little more patience and a little less power. Passable defender with a middling arm but enough stick to keep value. He'd be a good fit some place that has a great defensive but crap offensive catcher like Houston, StL, or Oakland.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Senor Votto

Can't go wrong with a 4-headed monster

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Huh?

That didn't take long, did it?

Castillo appears to be the epitome of the replacement-level journeyman. My guess is they're just looking for a veteran to stash at Louisville in case of an injury to Ross or Valentin.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?