Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Harang

Aaron Harang

What are your opinions on Aaron Harang being signed to a 3 or 4 year contract extension? Is it not about time that Krivsky gets going on this? Maybe it's too early is the off season but I would really like to see something done before the end of the year. He's the best pitcher the Reds have had in years and years, it's time to lock him up before he gets the chance to skip town. Maybe something like 4 years at about 28-30 million? I know that sounds outrageous, but it might take something close to that to lock him up.

thoughts?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Aaron Harang

What makes you think talks aren't underway already? I think they'll definitely talk LTC with him.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    What makes you think talks aren't underway already? I think they'll definitely talk LTC with him.
    nothing, I'm just nervous about it, I guess. I have no reason to believe either way.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

3 years tops, any contract to a pitcher above 3 is a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    3 years tops, any contract to a pitcher above 3 is a risk.
    what kind of money do you think he would get? 3 years at about 20 or would that be low?

I don't think your 3/20 is a bad deal, because it will likely be a raise for 07, and possibly 08. In 07, he will make around $5 mil I believe after arb, then maybe 7 mil the next. He might want more, like around 23-24 mil for three years. In this market, he would be dumb not ask for more if he was going to sign a long term deal. By 09, as a free agent IIRC, he should net in $12 mil range if he keeps up his pitching (including inflation).

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

3 years for 25 wouldn't bother me.. he's worth it. Definatly the most consistant pitcher we have.

He's about to go into his second arbitration season, so we have his rights for '07 and '08. That gives us two years to negotiate with him.

Me? I'd certainly try to lock him up now (three years plus a club option or two), but if inflation pushes his price tag too high, I might wait to see if his stock drops, and then buy low.

Either way, I'd certainly make a run at him, because he's made me a believer.
    Makes all the routine posts.

3 years for 25 wouldn't bother me.
    Won't be nearly enough is my guess. The market is zooming upwards...
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Unless we think the pitching market is going to go up next year, or that Harang will have a break out legitimate Cy Young year, I'm not sure that locking him up now is the smartest move. The advantage of those contracts is payroll stability and hedging against an inflated arb value. We've still got his rights for 2 years and unless we think we gain value, there's no reason to take the risk of a guaranteed contract. If he goes to arbitration asking for 8MM or more, well, then maybe it makes a bit more sense.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Unless we think the pitching market is going to go up next year, or that Harang will have a break out legitimate Cy Young year, I'm not sure that locking him up now is the smartest move. The advantage of those contracts is payroll stability and hedging against an inflated arb value. We've still got his rights for 2 years and unless we think we gain value, there's no reason to take the risk of a guaranteed contract. If he goes to arbitration asking for 8MM or more, well, then maybe it makes a bit more sense.
    He'll get at least $8 million in arbitration, probably more. I'd offer three years at $8 million per year.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I had a dream last night that he ended up a free agent and went to the Yankees. I crap you not.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    He'll get at least $8 million in arbitration, probably more. I'd offer three years at $8 million per year.
    Yes. I'd go 4 years at $8 million a year.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Lock him up now. All everyone wants to do is trade the farm for mediocre pitching and when we get a good one we need to keep it. Things are going to be pretty ugly in 2007. Better lock him up before the thoughts of leaving start dancing in his head (if its not too late now.)

IMO Harang is better than any pitcher on the market this year except for possibly Jason Schmidt and he has him beat in the age and health categories.

4 years at 8 mill. per would be a steal, IMO.

He seems to enjoy playing for Cincinnati.

Keeping him in the fold should be one of Krivsky's top priorities.

A Harang-Arroyo-Bailey 1,2,3 has an awfully nice ring to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?