Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Howard named NL MVP

Ryan Howard named NL MVP

XM just announced Ryan Howard named NL MVP
    Last edited by RFS62; 11-20-2006 at 02:44 PM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Howard NL MVP

Surprised that Albert Pujols didn't win
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

As am I.

Pujols had way more Win Shares than Howard.

I guess all the voters got caught up in the HR and RBI glare.

Albert ran a close second. I don't have a problem with it. There were a lot of good NL candidates - Soriano and Berkman had great years, too.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Yup. Just like the Cy Young is about ERA and Wins, the MVP is about HR and RBI. The only times you see those two stats somewhat ignored is when the top guys are on horrible teams or there's nobody who is clearly exceptional (like when Barry beat out Bichette, Maddux, and Piazza).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Both were worthy candidates. Howard carried that team after their so-called best player was traded, along with one of their starters.

Carlos Beltran should have won it. For all the talk from the press that baseball is more than HRs and RBIs, when they have the chance to actually recognize a complete ballplayer over a power hitter they usually fail to do it. Barry Larkin winning the 1995 MVP, and deservedly so, is remarkable for how out of character it was for the BBWAA.
    Last edited by M2; 11-20-2006 at 02:36 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Carlos Beltran should have won it.
    Agreed, but I'm not surprised about Howard.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2006 NL Win Shares:
    Pujols-39
    Beltran-38
    Cabrera-34
    Berkman-34
    Wright-32
    Howard-31
    Soriano-30

If the choice is otherwise close, I give an edge to the player who played on a pennant winner, just because I believe there should be some premium given to finishing first. Howard finished sixth in Win Shares, played on a non-pennant winner, and did not have statistics superior to guys such as Pujols or Beltran, who did play on divisional champions.
    Pujols's one Win Share advantage over Beltran is insignificant, and they both lead their teams to a division crown, so I wouldn't be upset if either of them had won the MVP. I would have voted for Pujols. The writers blew it, yet again.
    I know that Howard has a great season, but Pujols lead him in OPS, .431-.425, SPCT, .671-.659, OPS, 1.102-1.084, and adjusted OPS, 180-170. Pujols's lead isn't huge in those categories, but Pujols did lead in each, and his team won a division.
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 11-20-2006 at 02:39 PM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Re: Ryan Howard named NL MVP

3 reasons which may be part of the reason why he was voted:

1) HGH "smoke" during the year for Pujols
    2) St Louis playing in the vicinity of .500 ball w/o Pujols during his DL stint
    3) The fact that there were no less than 3 players on the Mets who were the "favorites" for MVP at some point during the season: Beltran, Wright and Reyes. To me, when you have that many candidates, it's tough to get MVP.

In addition to being a monster at the plate, Beltran played spectacular defense at a key defensive position. The only knock against him was that he had Wright, Reyes, and Delgado to "pick up the slack," whereas Pujols only had Rolen to help him.

Come to think of it, Howard had Chase Utley, Pat Burrell, and 2/3 of a season of Bobby Abreu to pick up the slack for him -- much more help than Pujols had.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Here's the final vote tally. Bronson got a vote!

-----------------------------
    Ryan Howard (388)
    Albert Pujols (347)
    Lance Berkman (230)
    Carlos Beltran (211)
    Miguel Cabrera (170)
    Alfonso Soriano (106)
    Jose Reyes (98)
    Chase Utley (98)
    David Wright (70)
    Trevor Hoffman (46)
    Andruw Jones (29)
    Carlos Delgado (23)
    Nomar Garciaparra (18)
    Rafael Furcal (11)
    Garrett Atkins (10)
    Matt Holliday (10)
    Aramis Ramirez (5)
    Freddy Sanchez (5)
    Chris Carpenter (4)
    Chipper Jones (3)
    Mike Cameron (2)
    Jimmy Rollins (2)
    Bronson Arroyo (1)
    Jason Bay (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    In addition to being a monster at the plate, Beltran played spectacular defense at a key defensive position. The only knock against him was that he had Wright, Reyes, and Delgado to "pick up the slack," whereas Pujols only had Rolen to help him.

Come to think of it, Howard had Chase Utley, Pat Burrell, and 2/3 of a season of Bobby Abreu to pick up the slack for him -- much more help than Pujols had.
    Burrell?

Look at Howard's 2nd half. .355/.509/.751

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Burrell?

Look at Howard's 2nd half. .355/.509/.751
    Then give him half an MVP award. Pujols was better over the full season. IMO, so was Beltran.

And yes, Burrell, the guy with the .890 OPS.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

On the flip side, Howard struck out 180+ times, Pujols only 50. So I guess strikeouts don't matter after all.

Turn Off Ads?