Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Larue traded to the Royals

Re: Larue to the Royals?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Then what would you do?

Move Larue and you're paying out under 10 million for your catcher, SS, 1b, 2b and 3rd baseman. That leaves a lot of cash for other things. Including RH corner players, another starter and a closer.
    Salary dump Javy and Castro. Keep Larue. See what Ross brings in return.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Salary dump Javy and Castro. Keep Larue. See what Ross brings in return.
    That would net you all of $2 mil+. That's not a dump, that's transaction for transaction's sake.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I don't think you can effectively do a salary dump in relation to 5 million dollars in this current market. LaRue is a .240-.250 career hitter, upper 1/3 of catchers defensively, and if one places value on effort he is one of the more intense guys on the team. If we 'dump' his salary it would be pointless because 5 million isn't going to get us a player thats better than LaRue's career numbers most likely. In fact it just got us Alex Gonzalez who is a 240-ish hitter who is good defensively. Is there really a point to dumping LaRue and praying Ross doesn't revert to career norms? In my opinion you don't do a dump, you only do a deal if something solid is coming in return.
    I'm in full agreement with Joseph here,

Did'nt the Cub just ink Henrey Blancoe to a two year 5M deal to be a back up catcher?
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-20-2006 at 03:23 PM.

I think salary-dumping Larue is stupid on a par with salary-dumping Casey.
    I guess alot of us are stupid including myself. I thought dumping Casey and his over bloated salary last year was a great move.

No response on the Royals ESPN board -- FYI. We should probably wait until something actually happens before passing judgment.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

FCB hates something Krivsky might do. Shocking.

I'd bet any team in baseball would be thrilled to just wipe LaRue from their books after last season. Look at his age, contract and production last season, and if you could just get rid of him and save the money you owe him, every team in the league would do it.

Even if Ross falls off to LaRue-like production (unlikely, because LaRue was truly terrible), he's still much, much cheaper. And it's not like he's going to bring much in return himself. I'll take Ross and be glad to be rid of LaRue and that ridiculous contract.

I think salary-dumping Larue is stupid on a par with salary-dumping Casey.
    Yea, clearing up an additional $5m on a +30 catcher comming off a horrible year. $5m that can be combined with other monies to bring a bigger bat or starting pitcher to town. A move that would clean up the 3 headed monster behind home plate.

Yea, what a dumb move.

Let's not forget that Larue wasn't happy last year.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    That would net you all of $2 mil+. That's not a dump, that's transaction for transaction's sake.
    Not if you get two minor leaguers in return. And it's a dump of 2.5--half of Larue's salary. Plus, more importantly, you rid your roster of crap players (Castro, Valentin).
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I guess alot of us are stupid including myself. I thought dumping Casey and his over bloated salary last year was a great move.
    Great return on that move. The $7 million per year went to...ummm...ummm...well, no one in particular. And the thought of Dave Williams on the mound for the Reds still brings tears to my eyes. Not the good "Field of Dreams" tears; the bad "Major League III: Back to the Minors" tears.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    FCB hates something Krivsky might do. Shocking.

Sounds of kind silly. I really dislike things people actually do.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Re: Larue's been traded to the Royals

Eh. Get rid of Javy.
    lol

Also rumors in another thread about the Reds picking up a FA catcher.

There is a connection...

Two words: Reggie Sanders
    That's who I think they'd get, too...

Both vets making decent $, a year from FA.

To echo Red Leader, if you're going to dump LaRue, make sure that it's a sizable dump.

I like Jason and would have absolutely zero problem with him coming back as the team's starting catcher next year. He's as good a bounce back candidate as you're ever going to see.

That said, there are other areas where the team can spend that money. So if we're talking about most or all of his contract, then a salary dump could do some good. Mind you, I'd rather see the Reds move out a catcher for some talent. Money interests me far less than talent. If all you've got is money, you still need to turn it into talent.

Wild guess for 2007 if Jason does get traded -- the #7 and #8 slots of the Reds lineup will be two of the easier outs in the NL.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?