Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers sign Pierre to a 5 year $45M deal

Dodgers sign Pierre to a 5 year $45M deal

The crazy contracts continue. The Dodgers have agreed to a 5 year $45 million dollar deal for Juan Pierre.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2669903

Pierre
    Free agent center fielder Juan Pierre has agreed to a five-year contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, a source told ESPN.com on Monday. The deal is believed to be worth $44-45 million.

The deal will become complete when Pierre passes a physical exam, the source said.

Pierre, 29, is a .303 hitter over seven seasons with Colorado, Florida and the Chicago Cubs. He led the National League with 204 hits in 2006.

"He's another guy with great qualities as a human being, like Nomar [Garciaparra]," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti told the Associated Press.

Colletti wouldn't confirm the deal with Pierre.

"It's either done or it's not done and right now it's not done," Colletti told AP.

The San Francisco Giants were also interested in Pierre, and had offered him a four-year deal in the $32-34 million range, a source said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dodgers sign Pierre to a 5 year $45M deal

And Brett Butler cringes and wishes he was born later rather then sooner.

Horrible contract. I'm just glad he's a Dodger and not a Red.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

way too much $$. didn't they watch him play with the cubs for a few years. I'm distressed. Seeing all of these big dollars going out the door, pretty soon I won't be able to afford to go watch the Reds.
    VBR IS LIVING IN CINCINNATI...I FEEL GOOD!

This is getting insane!!!!!

The owners deserve whatever they get in the future. Good lord, $45MM for Juan Pierre??????????
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

This may be the worst contract I have ever seen.

His lifetime OPS is about .725, which is bad for an OF. He's a pretty good fielder, but has a putrid arm. He has speed, but gets thrown out about 37% of the time. Experts say if you can't steal 70-75% of the time, don't run. So, his ability ot steal is negative.

Add it up and you get a below average player. I'd suggest that Gonzalez is better, in that he's almost as good as hitter, and plays a great defense at a premium defensive position.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And Brett Butler cringes and wishes he was born later rather then sooner.

And Butler was twice the player Pierre is.

Good lord.
    Go Gators!

Exhibit A when signing Seabass wasn't a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm sure Coletti will tell you he's better in the clubhouse than J.D. Drew.

It will be a pleasure to cheer against the Cubs and Dodgers next year.

Always thought Pierre was overrated. But I must admit that I predicted he'd be a failure on the Marlins, and he certainly was NOT.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Coletti is the anti-DePodesta
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This is getting insane!!!!!

The owners deserve whatever they get in the future. Good lord, $45MM for Juan Pierre??????????
    No kidding. The owners lose all leverage for their poverty argument when deals like this go down. No one forced the Dodgers to do this deal, they did it completely to themselves.

It would be akin to me going out and spending $50,000 on a Honda Civic, then complaining that the price of cars needs to be regulated because I'm poor after having spent all of my money on a Civic.

Idiots.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Wow.

The Dodgers? Overpay?

Juan Pierre and Darren Driefort should have a lot to talk about.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Did the Dodgers confiscate some of that crack from the Pujols kid? I would rather pay Eric Milton that much money, at least he can hit.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

So, who leads off Furcal or Pierre?

I'm guessing that the most recent overpaid player leads off (Pierre) and that Furcal hits 2nd.

Wow, that team is now "scrappy" to the max.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?