Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Sorry if this has been posted...

Alex Gonzalez-SS-Red Sox Nov. 16 - 8:32 pm et

Free agent Alex Gonzalez reportedly has a three-year, $15 million offer on the table, likely from either the White Sox or the Reds.

The Blue Jays have also been talking to Gonzalez, but they didn't make the offer. If Gonzalez can get this kind of deal, Julio Lugo at four years and $32 million would look very attractive. Of course, if it's the White Sox that sign Gonzalez, the same teams that are considering Gonzalez right now would likely covet Juan Uribe. Uribe is about as good defensively and has more offensive potential. Should the Reds get Gonzalez, Brandon Phillips would stay at second base. It'd make the decision to re-sign Juan Castro look awfully redundant.

Yuck, let's hope it's the Sox who want him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

I would cry if this is what Krivsky thinks is a good option.

PLEASE be the White Sox!!

His 06 numbers:

.255 .299 .397 .696

3 years...15 mil!!!! this is ridiculous. I hope it is a lie that he has that just so he can try to drive the price up.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post

His 06 numbers:

.255 .299 .397 .696

3 years...15 mil!!!! this is ridiculous. I hope it is a lie that he has that just so he can try to drive the price up.
    Yes his hitting is poor, but he also offers some of the best defense at SS in all of baseball. Based on the alternatives currently available, I think this would be okay.

He would provide a good boost to the pitching, especially when paired with Phillips, we would have one of the best DP combos in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post

His 06 numbers:

.255 .299 .397 .696

Honus Wagner and Ozzie Smith are unavailable this year. Three years and 15 million for a great fielding shortstop who can hit .250 is fine with me. Reds will have to add offense at other positions but this would be a huge upgrade in the infield. If they sign Gonzalez, how about some ground ball type pitchers so he has something to field.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Honus Wagner and Ozzie Smith are unavailable this year. Three years and 15 million for a great fielding shortstop who can hit .250 is fine with me. Reds will have to add offense at other positions but this would be a huge upgrade in the infield. If they sign Gonzalez, how about some ground ball type pitchers so he has something to field.
    I see what you are saying, and I guess this move is ok IF! we add a ton of offense elsewhere. There is a lot of talk about trading Dunn. We can't be trading him without getting some O in return.

But let's get realistic with some of those comparisons. His D is not Ozzie Smith or Honus Wagner like. His range factor was IDENTICAL to Royce Clayton's this year via the Bill James Handbook. He was the 15th ranked SS in the majors. In 2006. I'll pass.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I'm down with that. 5 mil per.. not to shabby for a slick fielding SS. Put him in GABP and who knows.. that average could rise.

I wouldn't be mad if we got him. Stellar shortstops don't seem to be populationg the market this year - and having someone who can actually catch and throw the ball could be a nice relief.
    As long as it is the one from the Redsox, and not the one from the Phillies.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Would you rather have Clatyon?

I'd be fine with this move. DEFENSE

An above average fielding ss that can hit .250 improves the Reds.

1. He fills the defensive void at SS.
    2. He helps fill the defensive void at 2b by keeping Phillips there.
    3. The improved up the middle defense helps the pitching staff--think of all those dp's that didn't happen before big things did happen last season.

And 5 milion a year isn't that much in today's dollars--heck the Reds paid an aging Barry Larking more than that to play about 120 games a year three years ago.
    Where we gonna go?

Absolutely. I would take him in a heartbeat. How many errors did he make last year? A double play combo of Gonzalez and Phillips would be REALLY good.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I would add some positives to this posible move:

1. AG has some power, good for GABP
    2. His profile make him a good fit for the #8 spot, so Narron will (hopefully) bat him there.
    3. This takes late inning ABs away from Juan Castro and might even make JC available for a trade.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I guess Bowden wanted too much for Christian Guzman.

Seriously, Gonzalez is a good, but not great fielder That said, I'd rather see the Reds spend $5 million on a guy like Gonzalez than $8 million on a guy like Julio Lugo.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I would add some positives to this posible move:

1. AG has some power, good for GABP
    2. His profile make him a good fit for the #8 spot, so Narron will (hopefully) bat him there.
    3. This takes late inning ABs away from Juan Castro and might even make JC available for a trade.

Let's just hope that he isn't leading off. With the mangers the Reds have had over the past few years one never knows who will be leading off.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

If the choices are Gonzalez for 5 million per or Lugo for 7 million per then I take Lugo every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Lugo at 8 million per, well there's the dilemna - might be at the cost analysis point where Gonzalez makes more sense, but an OBP of less than .300 - blah. Thats Rey Ordonez territory.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I believed Gonzalez only made 9 errors with the Red Sox last season. He has more range than Lopez and Clayton. Five million a season might seem excessive for a gold glove type of player but with so many teams awash with cash, prices for players will be inflated.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?