Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

Keep Castro and get rid of Dunn.....

Kill me now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Rule 5? Best result there is guy gets hurt, you send him out for rehab, and win the AA championship.

I'd rather do nothing than spend $15M on Alex Gonzalez. I'd rather play Freel at 2B and Phillips at SS.

I don't mind Alex Gonzalez. But at something closer to 2 yrs, $6M.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I find it odd to be on this side of the arguement, but don't we have a slick fielding, .250 hitting SS in Juan Castro? .
    There seems to be some sentiment(not worth much to me) and quite a bit of data to suggest that while Castro may be "slick fielding", he is not a good defensive SS due to a lack of range at the position.

The question is if Castro is put at SS and $5M saved on Gonzo would that money be put to better use elsewhere? The one difference in Gonzo vs Castro is that Gonzo is younger and has decidedly more pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    The question is if Castro is put at SS and $5M saved on Gonzo would that money be put to better use elsewhere? The one difference in Gonzo vs Castro is that Gonzo is younger and has decidedly more pop.
    If Castro is the answer, I don't want to know the question.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Keep Castro and get rid of Dunn.....

Kill me now.
    I didn't know Dunn was an element of the Shorstop discussion...oh, wait, you're commenting on your dislike for the poster and not the post--typical. Maybe you should change your callname to westofthetopic ...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Salaries are skyrocketing. An assured good glove (with EBH power) for 3 years at 5MM seems smart to me. I don't think I want WK chasing shortstops every year.
    Who knows, maybe he then packages Dunn, Gonzalez and Freel to the Os for Tejada and a pitcher...

typical
    All over this thread it is yes.

If it's true that we're after him, it doesn't surprise me.

I think he'll make marginal improvements whenever he can and remake a lot of the team.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I didn't know Dunn was an element of the Shorstop discussion...oh, wait, you're commenting on your dislike for the poster and not the post--typical. Maybe you should change your callname to westofthetopic ...
    woy was summing up the last few pages in jest, then you call him out in ridiculing his "nickname" after you said that he did the same to someone else.

It's a little snarky in here. Cabin Fever anyone?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I think he'll make marginal improvements whenever he can and remake a lot of the team.
    I honstly have no clue what he might/might not do. His 2006 performance was a mixed bad played with a losing hand. He did some good things when he was bottom feeding but when he made "the trade" he way overpaid for marginal talent. It is most likely his performance this off-season that will define his tenure with the Reds.

Originally posted by NJReds
    Finding a better hitting, decent glove at 2B (and shifting Phillips to SS) is a better option then this rumored deal.
    Indians: In light of a so-so season from shortstop Jhonny Peralta, the Indians are looking for protection up the middle and the Plain Dealer reported that the club has talked with Alex Gonzalez and Craig Counsell. But a couple of sticking points: Gonzalez wants a four-year deal and Counsell wants a full-time job. GM Mark Shapiro told the paper the Indians might have to make a trade to find a suitable backup for Peralta.

What does everyone think about Craig Counsell? From the above article this guy is just asking for an everyday job, is he considered an everyday player at this point? And if that's what he's asking for he would likely be a shorter term and cheaper player than Gonzales. Lord knows he's got a reputation for an outstanding situational hitter which makes him an excellent choice for a #2hitter which we badly need, except his splits suggest he doesn't hit LHP at all. Could he platoon at 2B with Freel and then Freel could play the OF vs. RHP. He might be worth a look see. At any rate I'm not sure he could play SS any more effectively than Castro at this point but he would likely want to play SS.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Alex Gonzalez is an unbelievable fielder, but he'll leave you shaking your head alot at the plate. Sometimes in a good way!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Throw a glove at the position and see what happens, Reds fans are spoiled to think every position should hit. However 3 years could bite you in the butt, but sometimes you have to lease the car too.

A.G. is a classic 60's SS, can't get on base and can smack a double or HR.
    This is what I'm thinking. SS used to almost always be a light hitting position with some rare exceptions (most of whom are in the HOF). Someone else mentioned Gonzalez ranked 15th in the MLB - that's middle of the pack. If that means a fairly sure glove (and maybe it doesn't - I'm stat lazy, frankly), then it's an upgrade. And that occasional extra base hit helps out from time to time (as long as it doesn't come on the first pitch in an AB - wait, that's a different argument!).

It could be worse, he could be waiting for the Nats to release ex-Twin Guzman.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    If Castro is the answer, I don't want to know the question.
    The question is Who has been the ruler of Cuba since the late 1950's?

Turn Off Ads?