Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If EE plays everyday he'll drive in mkore then 100 yards.
    That's a pretty bad opening drive. With EE's potential, I'm hoping he can at least hit 250+ yards.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    That's a pretty bad opening drive. With EE's potential, I'm hoping he can at least hit 250+ yards.
    My bad.

I am in football mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Ignore offense at your peril.

On a side note, though, I don't think Wayne Krivsky's shown any kind of ability to emulate the Ryan-constructed Twins in Cincinnati so far. Krivsky has virtually no eye for pitching, as the lion's share of his trades for pitching have been total disasters and his draft of pitchers was one of the worst in recent memory.
    That's a very small window IMO to be judging a guy on. Also throw in a very tight pitching market.

No eye for pitching?

What about his acquisitions of Arroyo, Guardado, Cormier, Schoeneweis? And I think the verdict is still out on young (and inexpensive) arms like Balfour, Majewski, and Bray.

He didn't give out any Milton contracts. The trades/acquisitions he made were low risk/investment IMO. I don't see where they have hamstrung and/or set this organization back.

Face it FCB.... you never wanted Krivsky as our GM in the first place (and that is fine), and your "bias" against him would never allow you to give him any credit/due for anything he has done/accomplished.

And some on here, for whatever reason, are worried and scared to death that Krivsky is going to try and replicate the Twin's system here. More power to him. It would be a far cry better then the Bowden/Dano system.

The guy has been on the job for less than a year, and came into it late to begin with, and some expect him to be a miracle worker.

And I believe that simply stems and is motivated by deep ideological differences with Krivsky and the system he mentored under.

I'm sure Wayne learned a few things under Terry Ryan.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    AMEN. What makes every option available to the Reds undesirable is Scott Hatteberg's lack of power at 1B. A player with some power there would allow, as Cyclone put it, "the best defensive up the middle in the league of Gonzalez, Phillips and Deno" to be a strength rather than the liability we see it as. We're unimpressed now because we fear the lack of offensive production. The slick fielding middle of the diamond players shouldn't have to make-up for the lack of offense of the lesser fielders at the corners. Corner players are paid to be offensive players. The Reds haven't had a true power player at 1b since Tony Perez. Larkin and Lopez had enough pop from SS to cover for the problem. The Reds don't have that luxury anymore.

A 1B with power would make it all work acceptably. I say sign Gonzalez and get a stop gap 1B with pop until Votto is ready. Trade Freel for that #3 starter.
    But do you think Wayne signed Hatteberg, which is a bargain/very trade able contract IMO, simply as a "stopgap"?

There is going to be some huge shaking up on this team over the next couple of years IMHO. You have the Milton and Jr contracts coming to an end. You also have an issue with Dunn's contract.

I don't think this team will look anything like it currently does.

But in 2 years time, where will we be with kids like Bailey, Votto, and even Bruce?

Are players like Hatteberg simply inexpensive stopgap measures?

And why a player like Aurilia is no longer here? Wayne got the most out of him, yet knew when to say NO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Gonzalez won't hit second, because he's got a reputation as a "glove man". Narron wouldn't dare cast him against type.

If you believe in Win Shares, Lugo only put up 3 more total Win Shares (offense + defense) than Gonzalez last season. $3 million is a lot for 3 measley Win Shares.

Didn't Narron start Castro and hit him second a few times last season?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I'd rather do nothing than spend $15M on Alex Gonzalez. I'd rather play Freel at 2B and Phillips at SS.

I don't mind Alex Gonzalez. But at something closer to 2 yrs, $6M.

I tend to agree with NJ here.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agree. Lacking a complete upgrade, a RH hitter with a little pop who hits lefties is a must. Eduardo Perez would be my choice.
    At first I wanted to agree with you, but at age 37 and 1.75 Mil, I don't know if Perez would be a worthwhile risk. Yeah, he has a .800+ OPS versus LHers, but the guy had better never see the light of day versus RHers.

Could we do better with that 1.75 Mil?

I'm in the corner of signing Gonzalez. I think the Reds would have one of the best defensive middle infields in all of baseball. I think that good teams are solid up the middle, and this signing would go a long way in establishing that.

Gonzalez is having preliminary talks with the Blue Jays, who are very interested.

The guy made 2.7 Mil last year. I could tolerate a 3 year 10 Mil contract. That isn't gonna break this organization.

And I would love to see Alex at SS, with Phillips at 2B.

I'm not thrilled at the prospect of Freel, who is an OFer by trade, manning 2B at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But do you think Wayne signed Hatteberg, which is a bargain/very trade able contract IMO, simply as a "stopgap"?

There is going to be some huge shaking up on this team over the next couple of years IMHO. You have the Milton and Jr contracts coming to an end. You also have an issue with Dunn's contract.

I don't think this team will look anything like it currently does.

But in 2 years time, where will we be with kids like Bailey, Votto, and even Bruce?

Are players like Hatteberg simply inexpensive stopgap measures?

And why a player like Aurilia is no longer here? Wayne got the most out of him, yet knew when to say NO.

No question Hatte is a stopgap. But for 2007 he is not a guy the rest of the team will be able to carry. Going into 2006 with Kearns and Lopez adding the missing power punch, carrying Hat (or Casey or Hal Morris or Todd Benzinger or Pete Rose) at 1B was not a huge disaster. Now if this team has three gloves with questionable bats up the middle it needs a 1B that can carry them.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    At first I wanted to agree with you, but at age 37 and 1.75 Mil, I don't know if Perez would be a worthwhile risk. Yeah, he has a .800+ OPS versus LHers, but the guy had better never see the light of day versus RHers.

Could we do better with that 1.75 Mil?
    Not sure in this market. There were a couple minor league free agents that I kind of liked for this role but I think most are gone w/o a sniff from the Reds. JR House (Orioles) and Josh Phelps (Tigers) to name 2.

As Jack Nicholson once said.... "What this team needs is an enema!"

God I hope Ken Rosenthal is wrong. If this is true, I think WK needs to take a step back and look at the big picture. $5 million per could be used as a nice piece of what it takes to get a decent pitcher.

A new shortstop in Cincinnati?
    Free-agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez is believed to be close to signing a three-year contract with the Reds.

Gonzalez's agent, Eric Goldschmidt, said he expects to complete a deal by the start of next week, but would not specify with which club.

The White Sox, a team speculated to be involved with Gonzalez, have not contacted Goldschmidt, according to a major-league source.

The Blue Jays also have shown interest in Gonzalez, but a second source said they would balk at the rumored price — three years, $15 million.

Gonzalez, 28, is one of the game's top defensive shortstops, but his .179 batting average with runners in scoring position last season was the lowest in the majors.

The Red Sox are pursuing free-agent shortstop Julio Lugo, who would be a significant offensive upgrade over Gonzalez.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6182658

Will Wayne next sign "the little things" for three years, $30 million?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

For a guy who thinks he needs team defense - Alex Gonzalez is the guy.

But, it is Ken Rosenthal, and that man has more holes in his stories than Swiss Cheese.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?