Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

Yea, just saw it on bottomline that Peter Gammons is reporting this as a done deal

2. Turn Off Ads?

This organization just continues to get dumber and dumber. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, it does. .299 OBP last year for Gonzalez. Awful. And you just know Narron will bat him second.

Wayne Krivsky has managed to turn this team from a offensive juggernaut to one of the worst hitting teams in baseball in less than a year. Impressive.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The table scraps comment wasn't directed towards AG. It was directed towards WK's quote about waiting it out and not rushing into anything.
    No problem.

I look at these winter meetings, and they start out the same every year, as a bunch of kids standing around the pool, dangling their feet to test the waters, and waiting to see who is gonna be the first to jump in.

What are the Cincinnati Reds DIRE needs.... and does this current FA market have those pieces available?

I don't really see it in the FA market so much, and that is where these GM have to sit down across from one another, lok at trade propositions, and try to screw each other.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Maybe we can sign Luis Gonzalez to a 5-yr, 45 million dollar deal now. Might as well grab all the guys who know how to win.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

RF Ryan Freel
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    CF Ken Griffey Jr.
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    1B Scott Hatteberg
    C David Ross
    2B Brandon Phillips
    LF Chris Denorfia

That lineup will be lucky to score 600 runs.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    RF Ryan Freel
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    CF Ken Griffey Jr.
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    1B Scott Hatteberg
    C David Ross
    2B Brandon Phillips
    LF Chris Denorfia

I may be way off-base here, but this signing indicates to me that Dunn is very likely not to be traded.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I like this move....

Improving the defense is good....yes, the offense needs upgrades.

I feel pretty good in saying this is probably the first of several offseason moves.

RF Ryan Freel
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    CF Ken Griffey Jr.
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    1B Scott Hatteberg
    C David Ross
    2B Brandon Phillips
    LF Chris Denorfia

That lineup...yes.

But it's 1 move in November...let's not mark this lineup in stone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Shortstop is the one non-pitching position on this team that desperately needs to be filled and cannot be done so internally. And good fielding is always going to help, particularly when it could, as other have noted, back up groundball pitchers, which is something that everyone's been screaming that the Reds need since GABP opened. Of course I agree that the Reds need to address their pitching problem. But I don't think that one off-season=addressing a single deficiency, and we're a whopping three or four weeks into the offseason with the winter meetings still to come.

Fixing the shortstop problem would take care of a lot defensively in one sweeping move, not only because it gives you a crucial good glove there, but because it solidifies Phillips at second and Freel in the outfield (where I think he belongs). If the Reds were to throw a GG-type at first or left field, I'd think they still have a lot of work to do defensively, and they'd likely still have an offense problem too. Throw in a good glove at shortstop, and I think they're pretty much set defensively (apart from moving Griffey over, but that's still an internal issue). Yes, I'd like the Reds to have more power. But if the defense problem is taken care of, they can work on that and bring in any kind of bat they want without worrying too much about what he does on defense.

And I personally don't think anyone will end up comparing Gonzalez or his contract to Clayton or Milton.

Good post. I'm on the fence here and here are a few varied thoughts about this move. Not sure I believe them all, but I undersatnd them all.

- If the school of thought is that salary is largely dependent on supply and demand then isn't the reason that Jeff Suppan is going to make $8 Million or so this year the same reason that Alex Gonzalez should not make $5 Million? Good defenders who can't hit are fairly easy to find. I wonder if Jerry Gil or even Paul Janisch (both known as plus defenders) were given the job for the minimum how much difference we'd see? The Reds could always get a good field no hit SS as a throw-in in a trade. I think Ronny Cedeno would be available now.

- Relegating Freel to the OF really depletes his value to the Reds IMO. His versatility is his main asset and as an OF he really doesn't have enough bat IMO (especially now with no plus offensive players in the MI to help offset). I think this move makes him the Reds main trade bait for a pitcher. Lots of teams looking for cheap CF. The Reds may be able to get a couple diamonds in the rough for him that could help the rotation and the bullpen. I'd throw in a prospect if needed. Deno is just as good if not better than Freel. What set Freel apart was his ability to be used everywhere. On this team the 4th OF is going to get much of his PT subbing for Griffey and maybe Dunn will rest more. Not enough Pop if Freel is the sub. I'd sign a 4th OF with more pop as insurance for Deno and Griffey. (I'd make a play for Jay Payton and guarantee him 400 ABs).

- You're right about the defense. If Deno plays CF the Reds defense is fixed for the most part. Dunn's defense in LF is possibly the most overblown issue on here. EE will be better to.

- I hope if this is a three year deal as rumored that the salary is front loaded with a smaller base in the 3rd year. This can't be the end to the search for a long term solution. Lower salary later will help the Reds reload again if they need to deal Gonzalez. They are more in need now. Pay more now.

- Who hits 8th now? Gonzalez should, but I like the catchers there. And Phillips should hit no higher than 7th. Given the current roster I'd go Deno, Dunn, EE, Griffey, the catchers, Hat, Phillips and Gonzalez. That line-up is only 4 players deep and two of those are very iffy. The 2nd inning should be pretty easy for opposing starters and if none of the top 3 get on in the first the 3rd will be as well. Opposing pitchers will be happy to see a line-up of Javy, Hat, Phillips, Gonzalez and the pitcher. Hat may have to hit 2nd just to get more help in the bottom half. The problem is that Griffey won't hit lower than 4th (he should) and Dunn will be the one dropped. Dunn will be in a no win situation with those guys behind him. He'll either walk every time (and half the board will complain he doesn't swing enough) or he'll start chasing and have another down year.

Krivsky won't be GM long with these types of moves. Overpaying marginal players isn't cutting it.

Wayne Krivsky just told us he cannot confirm nor deny the signing...

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Without having done the math, I suspect that Gonzalez is a good enough fielder to be a net-positive. He'll prevent more runs with his glove than he'll fail to produce below the bat of a normal shortstop.

I agree that his at-bats should be minimized, and also agree that the Reds haven't been smart enough to do stuff like that.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

This organization just continues to get dumber and dumber. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, it does. .299 OBP last year for Gonzalez. Awful. And you just know Narron will bat him second.

Wayne Krivsky has managed to turn this team from a offensive juggernaut to one of the worst hitting teams in baseball in less than a year. Impressive.
    Baseball is more than just offense and OBP. Like me, I am sure you watched or listened to almost every game last year and you know how pathetic the defense was. A middle infield of Gonzalez and Phillips gives the Reds easily one of the best middle infields in the National League. And, it's only November. Let's see how the rest of off season plays out.

Count me as a Reds fan who really likes this move.

I'm ambivalent.

is addressing SS defense a huge concern that so much that this team needed to give a marginal player a 3 year deal?

I don't know but if it wasn't as big a problem as people thought the deal for AG could be another anchor that this team can't seem to avoid.

I'll wait and see.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?