Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It's not a great move. But provided he hits 8th it's not a bad move. It's unexciting.
    I'm just saying, there has been a fair share of "negative nellies" in this thread.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

Face it FCB.... you never wanted Krivsky as our GM in the first place (and that is fine), and your "bias" against him would never allow you to give him any credit/due for anything he has done/accomplished.
    I hear this a lot. But it doesn't become any less false the more it's repeated.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

I hear this a lot. But it doesn't become any less false the more it's repeated.
    I agree. You gave Krivsky full credit for Arroyo and Phillips. It's not a matter of a personal bias, you just for the most part disagree with the moves he makes, and sometimes I don't blame you.

The Reds' infield next season could be one of the absolute worst in Reds' history viz. offense (when you factor the almost-certain collapses of Hatteberg/Ross and the almost-certain jettisoning of Aurilia).

That's an incredibly real and exigent circumstance. (I'm not saying it won't be dealt with, but if it's not dealt with, this team will absolutely positively have a losing season next year).
    EE and Phillips? Maybe you can be wrong about Hatteberg two years running?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I'm just saying, there has been a fair share of "negative nellies" in this thread.

The problem with Hatt is, he is old and hasn't put together 2 decent years running. He is also probably going to be injury prone. Griffey is injury prone to and a move to RF won't change that. They need another stick with pop in it and Votto can provide that, thus he is such a huge key. Lineup construction may be important, but so is power.

Considering the Reds still are looking for another starter and a closer, not much money is left for the bats. Votto probably is a key player in Krivsky's mind if the current offseason progression continues and Krivsky did say he was "impressed" with Votto's raw power................

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The problem that I see is that even if Hat repeats he doesn't give the offense what it needs. BTW Hat's slugging starting in 1998:

.446, .375, .435, .345, .433, .383, .420, .343, .436.

I can't say the pattern really means anything, but my expectations fit the pattern. Maybe a stat guru has an explanation.

Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    The Reds' infield next season could be one of the absolute worst in Reds' history viz. offense (when you factor the almost-certain collapses of Hatteberg/Ross and the almost-certain jettisoning of Aurilia).
    I could grab a mess of worst ones, I'll start with 1936, 50 years later was no great shakes either
    Code:
    PLAYER                 G    AB    R    H   2B  3B  HR  RBI   BB   SO   SB   CS  AVG   SLG  OBA   OPS
    Lew Riggs             141   538   69  138  20  12   6   57   38   33    5   0  .257  .372  .314  .686 
    Les Scarsella         115   485   63  152  21   9   3   65   14   36    6   0  .313  .412  .335  .748 
    Alex Kampouris        122   355   43   85  10   4   5   46   24   46    3   0  .239  .332  .289  .622 
    Billy Myers            98   323   45   87   9   6   6   27   28   56    6   0  .269  .390  .328  .718

PLAYER                 G    AB    R    H   2B  3B  HR  RBI   BB   SO   SB   CS  AVG   SLG  OBA   OPS 
    Buddy Bell            155   568   89  158  29   3  20   75   73   49    2   8  .278  .445  .362  .807 
    Ron Oester            153   523   52  135  23   2   8   44   52   84    9   2  .258  .356  .325  .680 
    Nick Esasky           102   330   35   76  17   2  12   41   47   97    0   2  .230  .403  .325  .728 
    Dave Concepcion        90   311   42   81  13   2   3   30   26   43   13   2  .260  .344  .314  .658 
    Kurt Stillwell        104   279   31   64   6   1   0   26   30   47    6   2  .229  .258  .309  .567 
    Pete Rose              72   237   15   52   8   2   0   25   30   31    3   0  .219  .270  .316  .586 
    Barry Larkin           41   159   27   45   4   3   3   19    9   21    8   0  .283  .403  .320  .722

Some comments from SOSH posters since the Red Sox had Gonzalez last season and know all about him. From the comments I've read in the thread pasted below - and the comments I read in the Gold Glove thread when Jeter won it over Gonzalez - most Red Sox fans seemed to love Gonzalez's defensive abilities while hating his offensive game, and none of that is too terribly surprising given what we already know about Gonzalez.

BTW, Gonzalez was a Type B free agent and Boston will receive a sandwich draft pick in compensation. The signing will not cost the Reds a draft pick.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=12999&st=0

Quote Originally Posted by Jay A Zee
    Fact is, Gonzo is perfect for the National League and although I will miss his defense, I won't that hole in the lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by GriffinDoerr
    There goes the best defensive shortstop (and by extention, the best defensive infield) the Sox have ever had.

Can't wait to hear the howls of outrage when Lugo's reprising Renteria at SS next summer.

Godspeed, Gonzo. Arroyo will benefit from your glove, and I hope you can help push the Reds into the playoff race.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongorific
    Although Gonzo was the best fielder I have seen the Sox trot out to SS, I would not have been in favor of topping 3/14. That's a rather hefty chunk of change for a player with a career .684 OPS. Good luck in Cinci Gonzo. It was a pleasure watching your D for a season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who is Dana Williams
    I don't know if Gonzo was worth $15 mil over 3 years but I will miss his defense. They should have signed him to a year or two extension during last season. Perdroia is not a full time shortstop and Lowrie is a year or two away. And that's if Lowrie can handle being a shortstop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rough Carrigan
    How can you not be ambivalent about the guy? Yes he has great hands. Great great hands. But his range isn't much better than average. He's a poor hitter. I think his VORP, value over a replacement player as a hitter was practically zero this last year. And his games played the last 3 years have gone like this. 159 in 2004, 130 in 2005 and 111 in 2006. Would you want to pay for the next number in that progression?
    Quote Originally Posted by Clears Cleaver
    AGon is a solid player, but I hated his approach at the plate and his demeanor. The guy never looked happy on the field.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

he filled a hole with a plug, that sums it up for me.

I hate to be pessimistic but if Freel doesn't start, I'll bet our newest acquisition hits leadoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I hate to be pessimistic but if Freel doesn't start, I'll bet our newest acquisition hits leadoff.
    Jerry's so infinitely stupid, the leadoff spot will go to the fastest member of the team. I'm assuming Phillips.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    EE is the only plus offensive player on the infield.

Jerry's so infinitely stupid, the leadoff spot will go to the fastest member of the team. I'm assuming Phillips.
    I'll bet you a 12 pack of your favorite beer that Gonzo bats leadoff at least 5 times next season. Phillips is the fastest but he doesn't have that veteranly goodness that Gonzo posseses.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Narron had Deno batting leadoff at the end of the year consistantly. That isn't a issue and even Gary Jerry Narron couldn't mess that up.............

Turn Off Ads?