Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Dude. He threw 14 innings! And Krivsky knew he was hurt. I'd say a "tie" is generous.
    Hurt or not, he was the best closer the Reds have had in years. Saved 8 of 10 games, had very low ERA in 16 outings. Sorry, but Mariano Rivera and Rollie Fingers were not available last mid-season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Marginal how?

The Question we need to ask ourselves is WHY or what role/dire need is Gonzo here to fill?

Offense? No.

Defense? Yes. Where he is not marginal.

Most who like this signing also agree and understand that MORE needs to be done, and other issues MUST be addressed.

But this signing addresses one of them.

I would love to have had a SS that filled both needs - solid bat and stellar defense. But where is that player available at? And the cost for such a player would probably hamstring the Reds financially from addressing other needs in this off-season.

This signing IMO doesn't do that.
    MY opinion will change if they go and get some serious help in the way of pitching and hitting. And the kind of help that wins you championships, not stopgaps. If they have the resources to go and get some good pitching, then this signing will look a lot better. But I am just not believing yet that this will take place.

If this doesn't happen, then this signing will look a lot worse. AGon is a perfect fit for a team like Boston, who has Manny, Ortiz, Schilling, etc etc. He is a nice player when you need to just plug a hole with a guy who won't hurt you. This team, at this point, needs more help than non-hurt. If there a LARGE moves coming down the pike, then this will look a lot better for me. If therer are more guys who "know how to win", then this is just flushing $$$ down the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hurt or not, he was the best closer the Reds have had in years. Saved 8 of 10 games, had very low ERA in 16 outings. Sorry, but Mariano Rivera and Rollie Fingers were not available last mid-season.
    Give me a break. If there were whispers about Mariano having a hurt elbow and WK got him for nothing, he saved 8 out of 10 games and then had TJ surgery, you would call this anything more than a tie?

I have disagreed with virtually 100% of the things that Krivs has done besides the Phillips deal and the EddieG deal. (I was wrong on the Arroyo deal and admit it) I have not been happy at all with WayneK but I like this deal. I think in this market it was reasonable and I am tired of poor defense leading to worse pitching than we already have. WayneK has a long way to go to impress me but so far this offseason he gets a B in my book. (The semester is far from over though so he still has time to get an F)
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Sorry if I don't agree with this list.

Guardado -- in exchange for nothing -- was a tie (until surgery)? A tie?

Shoenweis. Oddly not mentioned in the list.

Arroyo, Shoenweis, Guardado. No eye for pitching?
    Forgot about Schoenweis. You can mark him down for a win, though 14 1/3 innings isn't really something that would make me jump for joy. But look at all the losses....look at them. If you don't agree with my assessment, how many wins did he get and how many pitchers did he acquire? It wasn't like he got 3 good pitchers and only acquired 5.
    Oh, forgo about Mays, Gosling, the Wash debacle, J Johnson.

And Guardado wasn't exactly for nothing. Chick did have some potential.

If I'm Krivisky, I look at the B-type players. Players like OFs Frank Cattanatolo, David Delucci or even Trot Nixon might be easily affordable and give the Reds decent offensive production either in RF or off the bench.

People might say I'm crazy but signing RHP Eric Gagne to a one year deal (loaded with incentives) and an option for 2008 might be worth the risk.

Starting pitchers? Pitchers like RHP Adam Eaton, RHP Jason Marquis and LHP Randy Wolf will have something to prove since coming off injuries or a sub-par season and they might be worth the risk. Look at their careers and not just the 2006 season.

There are bargains out there. It is a matter of how much Krivisky wants to pay.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Hurt or not, he was the best closer the Reds have had in years. Saved 8 of 10 games, had very low ERA in 16 outings.
    I liked the Guardado signing.

But saving 8 out of 10 games is actually less than what Graves was doing for us, even during the "dark years".

BTW, both of Guardado's blown saves were the result of unearned runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Here's the first murmur of moaning about money from the Krivsky/Castellini junta. Let's hope this doesn't become a habit.

(Though to be fair, Krivsky seemed to hide his consternation well between his clenched teeth).
    Also to be fair, these are Krivsky's quotes from the article. There is NOTHING here that to me sounds like complaining about money. The author is taking a common theme this offseason across baseball and spinning some Krivsky quotes into it. Not to say he might not have money issues, but we don't know whether this $$ concern is coming from Special K or the author based on the quotes.

"I can't say I'm surprised," Krivsky said.

"It's always difficult to put together a team that wins on a year-to-year basis; that's what we're trying to do," Krivsky said.

"Every team has their set of parameters," Krivsky said. "What other teams do doesn't affect that."

"There are a lot of factors at work - trades, signings," he said. "We'll do whatever it takes to make the club better."

"We talked to a lot of teams," Krivsky said. "You see where you might match up. We're not going to have a fit for all 29 other teams."

Here's the first murmur of moaning about money from the Krivsky/Castellini junta. Let's hope this doesn't become a habit.
    Shoot, Brian Cashman was moaning about it in todays Times too.

The market is fraught with this stuff, and it's well aimed... because it's tough to build a baseball team and even tougher when you have to spend to get there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/19/sp...=1&oref=slogin

“The method to the madness is, the more players you can develop, the more you can keep from being desperate on the free-agent market,” Cashman said. “You don’t want to be desperate on the free-agent market, because you end up paying dearly.

“You almost never get fair value on a free agent, so you try to put yourself in a position where you don’t have to go shopping in the free-agent market.”

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    People might say I'm crazy but signing RHP Eric Gagne to a one year deal (loaded with incentives) and an option for 2008 might be worth the risk.
    That's a gamble I'd be willing to take.

If he doesn't work out...you don't have to pay him a ton (because he won't reach his incentives)....if he returns to form, you have the biggest steal in Free Agency.

This is finally "almost" official on reds.com (I don't know what they were waiting for):

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Krivsky: "I have nothing to announce," Krivsky said. "When we do, we'll announce it. It's the same thing I've told everyone else."

No matter how one may feel about Wayne Krivsky as a GM, something tells me he'd be a kick to have dinner with. "Ooh Wayne, doesn't the lobster look good?" "I have nothing more to say. I told you I wanted steak. Stop asking me questions, dammit!!"

He is a very straightforward speaker. I like that in my humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    The answer is, OPS can describe, at most, 1/3 of a players value--another 1/3 being defense, and the other 1/3 being intangibles.
    Bah, intangibles are at least 2/5 and probably closer to 5/9, though I'll now have to confess the sin of having attributed a contraction to the Holy Intangible. Also defense is FAR more important than offense and no one has ever found anything to the contrary on that.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Good courage GAC. We can only hope that you would not be attacked if you didn't put a smiley next to the Concepcion sentencen about OPS, but I'm not sure that would soften the Maoist wrath of those who bring their sliderules to the ballpark. The answer is, OPS can describe, at most, 1/3 of a players value--another 1/3 being defense, and the other 1/3 being intangibles. But, of course, anything being intangible in the game is an enormous threat to those who think the game is wholly definable in numbers.

[evil voice]
    Yes grasshopper, my evil plan to get men on base and drive up the oppossing teams pitch count will soon come to fruition. Then we can dispose of those who worship batting average and scrappiness once and for all..

[/evil voice]

Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    The market is nuts.....it's going to get worse year by year by year.

Baseball needs to do something about this, which won't happen.
    I'm curious about this statement. The fact is that the owners aren't going to act in ways that lose them money. They are seeing both operational and valuation profit. It's only natural that in a system absolutely flush with cash, that it would filter down to the players.

As for the cost to attend a game, which is often cited as the reason why high salaries are bad, ticket, parking, and food prices are almost completely a function of demand, not a reaction to player salaries.

Everybody has to pay these inflated salaries and as the Twins, A's, and Marlins have shown is that the FA Market is only one way to build a team. If you can't afford to play in that market with the big boys, corner a different market -- be it player development, superior drafting, or simply finding those inefficiencies you can exploit.

Even if a league where everybody has the exact same resources (NFL), there are teams who are usually good and teams who are usually bad. Sure, money helps -- but at the end of the day, it's ownership and management.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

WKU Hilltoppers

Shouldn't that be:

<evil voice>

Yes grasshopper, my evil plan to get men on base and drive up the oppossing teams pitch count will soon come to fruition. Then we can dispose of those who worship batting average and scrappiness once and for all..

</evil voice>

I'm pretty sure with the HTML you used you'll just get a regular voice not an evil one.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
    --Dave Barry

Turn Off Ads?