Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My worry about Gonzalez is that he's going to be 30 before next season. He's all glove. I don't mind that, but if that glove goes downhill in his 30s, as gloves often do, then you're talking about adding an anchor to your team.

My take is Gonzalez would be fine on a one-year deal like what he had with the Red Sox. That way you're not married to him if the one thing he does well diminishes. Gonzalez needs to be the type of player you can walk away from on a moment's notice. Plus, if you lose him after a year, it's not like he's difficult to replace.

Anyway, if the Reds get an all-glove SS like Gonzalez, they'd better understand that the other seven position players need to produce like gangbusters in order to cover for him. If the Reds sign Gonzalez and then deal Dunn away, ultimately winding up with an offensive downgrade in the OF, then you're talking about a scary bad offense.
    I agree that three years is not a great deal, but Gonzalez at ages 30-32 probably won't decline as much as Gonzalez at ages 33-35.

I'm just glad the Reds are trying to use cash instead of trading away talent to shore up the defense.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    OPS alone is not the most reliable and dependable stat for getting a total evaluation of a player. IMHO, it's not a "tell-all" stat.
    I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of Gonzalez, but what stat "alone" is more reliable for getting a total evaluation of a player?

I'd argue that no stat "alone" gives a complete evaluation of a player, but OPS as a sole stat comes closest.

Wow, if the ChiSox want to get Gonzalez, Juan Uribe really is being investigated. So, when the ChiSox dump him, he's found innocent, the Reds can pick him up for pennies on the dollar.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Would you rather have Clatyon?
    Is that the only other option?

I would prefer they explore other options...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Meh. Lugo is a pretty bad fielder, and you know that if the Reds signed him, he and his .330 OBP would be hitting second. At least Gonzalez will be doing all his damage from the #8 spot.
    ..and save the Reds several million $$$ a year in salary. Shore up the infield defense without breaking the bank, then go find yourself a dependable groundball-inducing starter.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'd love to have Gonzalez instead of Castro - but neither of them deserves 500 AB. I've given up on the money side of things -- this market is crazy. I just don't want a sub .700 OPS guy getting that many AB regardless of how good his defense is.
    Problem is, your options are somewhat limited here. Even ignoring the realities of budget constraints, there aren't that many .800 OPS-hitting middle infielders available on the market.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Wow, if the ChiSox want to get Gonzalez, Juan Uribe really is being investigated. So, when the ChiSox dump him, he's found innocent, the Reds can pick him up for pennies on the dollar.
    I like that plan a lot better.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like that plan a lot better.
    ... as long as he leaves the gun at home.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Is that the only other option?

I would prefer they explore other options...

No....but it's a frightening thought

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    ... as long as he leaves the gun at home.
    Chances are, his new "home" will be a 6x6 cell.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Throw a glove at the position and see what happens, Reds fans are spoiled to think every position should hit. However 3 years could bite you in the butt, but sometimes you have to lease the car too.

A.G. is a classic 60's SS, can't get on base and can smack a double or HR.

I can't see the Sox going for Gonzo unless they know Uribe won't be back.

I find it odd to be on this side of the arguement, but don't we have a slick fielding, .250 hitting SS in Juan Castro? Or at least, is the upgrade of Gonzalez over Castro worth $5MM? And does not the dearth of middle infielders with stick make it worth signing Aurilia, even if it is to trade him? At this point I'd seriously consider Aurilia for 2B and moving Philips--or, even considering giving Castro a shot at SS (he hit .280 plus last year after coming to Cincy)--spend money where there are no alternatives but to spend. And there are plenty of those areas for the Reds. I have a feeling there are going to be some real needs in the marketplace come the middle of spring training....
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    A.G. is a classic 60's SS, can't get on base and can smack a double or HR.
    ... same is true of Uribe as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    $5M/year is too much. This FA market is out of control. There has to be a slick fielding SS somewhere that'll come cheaper. Perhaps through Rule 5.

I can't see dropping $15M for three years. I don't care how good a glove he has.

Finding a better hitting, decent glove at 2B (and shifting Phillips to SS) is a better option then this rumored deal.
    Rule 5? Best result there is guy gets hurt, you send him out for rehab, and win the AA championship.

Turn Off Ads?