Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    How does David Ross fit into your plans then? His defense is pretty weak, while his offensive was strong in 2006.

Or that Dunn is still in LF? Dunn was defensive disaster in 2006 yet he hasn't been shipped out as yet.
    Just wait for Dunn. I have no faith he will be with the Reds in 07. I think Kriv wants the Cincinnati Twins. He is going to try to build a good defense and pitching staff and have offense last. I am worried about that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    It seems like all of your complaints go back to the trade. At least, many of your posts use the trade as the basis of your dislike of Kriv.
    Not really, but it's a good starting point. Do we ignore the trade? Pretned it didn't happen? If we really look at the record, Krivsky has obtained a good starting pitcher, second baseman (who's really a shortstop), offensive catcher, and maybe a short-time closer. Not bad. Trouble was Ross had an abnormal offensive year which kept him in the lineup--he didn't know that (I would guess--I'm sure someone will jump on that). Same with Phillips--he was obtained because of his defense and his cheapness.

And I've said all along, he can redeem him self from that, if you really consider he needs to be redeemed, with some good moves. I don't consider AG as a good move, but maybe I'm washed up on that too.

It really hasn't been long enough to judge WK, but Ithought I saw a pattern. And I have a problem moving this team from an offensive one to a defensive one without punch in GAB where you know the other teams are going to score bunches of runs (unless we get a No 1 and No. 2 starter, new bullpen and a closer).

But that's just me.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Do we ignore the trade? Pretned it didn't happen?

It really hasn't been long enough to judge WK, but Ithought I saw a pattern. And I have a problem moving this team from an offensive one to a defensive one without punch in GAB where you know the other teams are going to score bunches of runs (unless we get a No 1 and No. 2 starter, new bullpen and a closer).
    No you don't ignore the trade, but it isn't the sum total of his moves. You adressed some of his other moves nicely, but when the chorus is always "the trade" it does make you wonder. Much like when people harp on Dunn's September are reminded that it's the whole season is the measure, Kriv should be evalutated in the same manner.

You are right, I don't mind a defence and pitching team, so long as we get both parts of that equation. If that is truely what Kriv is going after it's going to be hard to do quickly because of all the holes on the pitching staff, bad contracts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He is a SS, where is the market for the most important position on the field and a guy that hits like Larkin did?

Nowhere would be the quick answer.

I'll add that low-error, high-range shortstops aren't as common as many might think.

I'm fine with Gonzalez (because as Johnny F. says, it doesn't eat up a trading chip), but if his acquisition is an offseason centerpiece then this team is screwed.

They've got at bottom 5 or 6 more-pressing priorities.

But if they sign Gonzalez, does that mean we fans then have to listen to complaining by the FO about the cost of acquiring pitching?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

First of all, lets get the good out of the way.

I like Seabass, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Reds sign him. He and BP could make a GREAT defensive infield, and he could help EE out.

However, that is too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm fine with Gonzalez but if his acquisition is an offseason centerpiece then this team is screwed.
    I concour.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    First of all, lets get the good out of the way.

I like Seabass, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Reds sign him. He and BP could make a GREAT defensive infield, and he could help EE out.

However, that is too much money.
    Have you seen the market? EVERYBODY is going to cost too much money. It's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Have you seen the market? EVERYBODY is going to cost too much money. It's insane.
    The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of signing him. Seriously, who knows what GABP will do to his offensive numbers.

Look at what it did to Aurilia.

In 02 he posted a .718 OPS.
    In 03 a .735.
    In 04 with SF .735
    With Seattle .715

Then his two years with the Reds he posted a .782 and .867 OPS.

Gonzalez isn't a slap hitter. He has pop in his bat, so getting him to GABP should inflate his offensive numbers, the question is how much. His defense is great, no arguing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    but if his acquisition is an offseason centerpiece then this team is screwed.
    Yeah that's my main worry.

The goal of the offseason is to find a decent starter to go with Harang and Arroyo. Without that, I don't think we have a prayer.

The Gonzalez move would be fine assuming it's not "the" move.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Gonzalez isn't a slap hitter. He has pop in his bat, so getting him to GABP should inflate his offensive numbers, the question is how much.
    Except Fenway Park is one of the best BA/OB parks on the planet and Gonzalez came off of that with a .255/.299 effort. What you could expect from Gonzalez with the Reds is probably a ton of outs and the occasional big hit.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Just wait for Dunn. I have no faith he will be with the Reds in 07. I think Kriv wants the Cincinnati Twins. He is going to try to build a good defense and pitching staff and have offense last. I am worried about that.
    If you want to look at small market teams that have had their fair share of success, start with the Minnesota Twins.

Pitching and defense wins. And every small market team that has won did it with pitching and defense.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Except Fenway Park is one of the best BA/OB parks on the planet and Gonzalez came off of that with a .255/.299 effort. What you could expect from Gonzalez with the Reds is probably a ton of outs and the occasional big hit.
    Gonzalez has had 179 AB's in Fenway last year. He's played in Florida (a pitchers park) his whole career. It's not impossible that he could get an Aurilia/Randa boost moving to Cincy, as he's a similiar type hitter (occasional power) as those 2.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    If you want to look at small market teams that have had their fair share of success, start with the Minnesota Twins.

Pitching and defense wins. And every small market team that has won did it with pitching and defense.
    Ignore offense at your peril.

On a side note, though, I don't think Wayne Krivsky's shown any kind of ability to emulate the Ryan-constructed Twins in Cincinnati so far. Krivsky has virtually no eye for pitching, as the lion's share of his trades for pitching have been total disasters and his draft of pitchers was one of the worst in recent memory.

Strangely, what Krivsky's shown he CAN do is find offense.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Yeah that's my main worry.

The goal of the offseason is to find a decent starter to go with Harang and Arroyo. Without that, I don't think we have a prayer.

The Gonzalez move would be fine assuming it's not "the" move.
    I think you have to fix the defense before you can bring a pitcher, and hopefully a groundball inducing pitcher, onto the team. Plus, middle infield defense will be important if there is any hope of attracting a free agent pitcher to Cincinnati.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?