Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Mike Stanton a Red

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Re: Mike Stanton a Red

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Great. The Reds signed another senior citizen reliever. When will they ever learn?
    I agree. I am tired of all these OTH guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mike Stanton was a type B free agent. The Giants get a supplemental first round pick but it does not cost the Reds a pick. Gonzalez was also a type B free agent.

Very unimpressive with Wayne. Though this may mean some other deals are coming(Bray moving again?), but old lefties in the bullpen make me ache. The way the Reds are going about it, he has to about 2008 to get it turned around and he isn't off to a great start. If he thinks the best middle defense since 1999 and Bailey/Votto(I really believe he feels both these guys are going to push the Reds over the top, I really really do.....) is going to do it, in the mortal words of Judas Priest: "You got another thing comin".

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You want to spend 4.25 million per year for 4 years on a middle relief pitcher? Finding a good middle reliever is too much of a crap shoot to do that.
    I would rather do that than spend 14 million on a shortstop with a .299 OBP.

I'll second that. For what it's worth, Speier would be the closer in Cincy. Not a middle reliever.

Excellent point. I would too.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

There is more then baseball then OBP. There is this thing called defense.

He'll be batting 8th in the NL, so OBP really doesn't mean much. If he can bring decent pop along with his glove then it's a solid signing.

We've already seen where tons of offense got us, nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

He'll be batting 8th in the NL, so OBP really doesn't mean much. If he can bring decent pop along with his glove then it's a solid signing.

Except he's arguing in this thread for better pitching, not better hitting.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    With Cormier and Bray, why spend money on Stanton? Are the Reds going to carry seven relievers again next year? That's something I'd really hoped would get put into mothballs.
    My question as well. Don't forget Shack, Coutlangus, Claussen and Pelland.

It could mean hoarding LH to play the match-up game, but if that's the case the best guy for the role is Shack and he won't make the team now.

It could mean Cormier is trade bait. I hope so. As much as I don't really like him, I think he could bring something in this market (maybe as part of a package).

It could mean that Bray is going to be the closer and they are backfilling his role in the middle innings.

I think its very curious. He's not really an upgrade anymore over anyone they already have.

The Reds did have some interesting bullpen arms in AA this year.
    Reds' pitching prospects are like Confederate money--just hope and pray the soda machine will be faked out and accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Very unimpressive with Wayne. Though this may mean some other deals are coming(Bray moving again?), but old lefties in the bullpen make me ache. The way the Reds are going about it, he has to about 2008 to get it turned around and he isn't off to a great start.
    Are Harang and Arroyo signed past 2008? I think they will leave for greener grass when they have the chance, so I think that you are right looking into the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Except he's arguing in this thread for better pitching, not better hitting.
    Better defensive will make your pitching better. The SS we signed is one of the best.

Sorry but a 30 some year old who has saved a total of 17 games doesn't seem to be the answer at closer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Reds' pitching prospects are like Confederate money--just hope and pray the soda machine will be faked out and accept it.

I mind that he's the #1 LH PH.

I'm for making that Scott Hatteberg's job.
    Me too!

But the idea is to add pitching while not giving up tons of offense. I always thought the equation was good hitting + good pitching = wins. Or am I mistaken? Another bullpen arm and still not a move for a starter or a badly needed bat. Maybe it's coming. To sum it up, our direct competition, the Cubs get Soriano and we get Gonzo and Stanton. Fourth place, anyone?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?