Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is WMP to Nats inevitable?

Is WMP to Nats inevitable?

I saw a rumor in one of the Boston papers that Theo is talking to Jimbo about Wily Mo Pena for Chad Cordero. Whoa! This one seems too likely to pass off as floating speculation.

1. For Bowden, trading a pitcher for an outfielder is a no-brainer.

2. For Bowden, acquiring ex-Reds seems to be a mission.

3. The Red Sox are looking for a closer.

4. Epstein likes to undo his mistakes. (See Renteria)

This might hinge on Manny Ramirez being traded, but I believe the Sox will want a more established name to hit fourth and play left.

Anyway, I want to be the first to predict this one. If I'm right, I'll be viewd as a genius. If I'm wrong, no one will remember. (I hope)
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is WMP to Nats inevitable?

If true, that is easliy Bowden's worst trade ever. Also, if true, why hasn't Boston jumped all over it already???

Sure, WMP's got the words "Bowden Bait" written on the back of his Red Sox uniform where it's supposed to say "Pena". I doubt Cordero was supposed to be the intended target, though, if there was a specific one.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I doubt Cordero was supposed to be the intended target, though, if there was a specific one.
    Why?

From The Boston Globe:

One industry executive insisted the Sox were dangling outfielder Wily Mo Peņa to the Nationals for closer Chad Cordero, though Nationals GM Jim Bowden, through a club spokesman, denied any such discussions. Bowden, who traded for Peņa when he was with Cincinnati, has long held Peņa in high regard.
    Epstein addresses his team's needs, and they need a closer.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Why?

From The Boston Globe:

Epstein addresses his team's needs, and they need a closer.
    I just meant that he probably wasn't the original one, if there was one, but he could very well be now.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I cannot imagine that even Bowden is that dumb!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I cannot imagine that even Bowden is that dumb!
    hmm. I'm thinking IF JimBo were to explore this, and he just might, that Jon Rauch would be the new closer. He had nearly identical numbers to Cordero. the same K/9 exactly. Rauch was better at keeping the ball in the yard.

If Jimbo thinks he can replace Rauch in the setup role, he might go hunting for offense. WMP is only one year removed from the NL, he'd re-acclimate quickly.

Heck, I'd do it. Especially if he thinks Joey Eischen might return to form.
    Suck it up cupcake.

For Wily Mo's sake I hope this is true. I'd love the kid to be traded somewhere where he was guaranteed to play every day. No worries, just go out and play.

Only then will he and all the rest of us find out if he can turn that massive potential into something special.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    For Wily Mo's sake I hope this is true. I'd love the kid to be traded somewhere where he was guaranteed to play every day. No worries, just go out and play.

Only then will he and all the rest of us find out if he can turn that massive potential into something special.
    If he's traded out of Boston, I'm gonna miss watching him aimlessly roam CF. Those were good times. Just 1 notch above him losing that HR in RF as he crashed into the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Sure, WMP's got the words "Bowden Bait" written on the back of his Red Sox uniform where it's supposed to say "Pena".
    Will I be nominated for The Nitpicker of the Year Award if I note here that the Red Sox do not actually put players' names on their uniforms?

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Will I be nominated for The Nitpicker of the Year Award if I note here that the Red Sox do not actually put players' names on their uniforms?

Well, yes, and especially because they actually do put players' names on their road jerseys, and I believe also on their alternate red ones. How do you think I learned to spell Mientkiewicz? Perhaps you're thinking of some other team?

Turn Off Ads?