Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Morneau wins AL MVP

.321 AVG
    34 HR
    130 RBI

Discuss

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Morneau wins AL MVP

Surprising. I thought Jeter was a lock this year the way the sports media was hyping him.

Stunning. Morneau wasn't even the best player on his own team. The writers might as well call the RBI award.
    Last edited by M2; 11-21-2006 at 04:10 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I always gave a bit more consideration for a guy in a "glove" position who had a big offensive year (C, MI, CF, even 3B).

Jeter at SS with a .900 OPS beats Morneau at IB with a .934 OPS.
    Mauer with a .936 OPS at Catcher...beats them both.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Stunning. Morneau wasn't even the best player on his own team. The writers might as well call the RBi award.
    I was just thinking the same thing.

As I was reading my text message from mlb.com, I was thinking "I didn't know that's how you spell Mauer...."

Worth The Wait

Anyone else find the timing of the MVP announcements silly? My honest reaction on Nov. 21st--- who cares? I've never understood the logic there.

Wow can't believe the NYC media hype machine lost out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Mauer = Jeter > Morneau
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Maybe the writers just wanted to vote for "that guy from Minnesota...can't remember his name, but his initials are J.M. or something."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Stunning. Morneau wasn't even the best player on his own team. The writers might as well call the RBi award.
    Yep. This year reminds me a little of 1987, when the writers went for the RBI guys over everyone else.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Yep. This year reminds me a little of 1987, when the writers went for the RBI guys over everyone else.
    Excellent parallel. Jeter's been Trammelled ... or Strawberried ... or Rainesed.

Steve Bedrosian won the Cy Young that year too. Something was definitely in the water.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Maybe the writers just wanted to vote for "that guy from Minnesota...can't remember his name, but his initials are J.M. or something."

Yep. Rhymes with Jack Bauer.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I wonder if this wasn't a little backlash from the writers in regards to Jeter not exactly standing behind ARod during the latter's trials and tribulations. Beating out a guy like Jeter for MVP should require numbers above and beyond his if you play in the Twin Cities.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I wonder if this wasn't a little backlash from the writers in regards to Jeter not exactly standing behind ARod during the latter's trials and tribulations. Beating out a guy like Jeter for MVP should require numbers above and beyond his if you play in the Twin Cities.
    Why should his numbers have to be above and beyond a guy like Jeter just because he plays in the Twin Cities? What city you play in should not have anything to do with it.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GriffeyFan View Post
    Why should his numbers have to be above and beyond a guy like Jeter just because he plays in the Twin Cities? What city you play in should not have anything to do with it.
    Jeter is simply going to get more publicity than a player for the Twins. Nature of the beast.

Turn Off Ads?