Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early...and I mean early....2007 Starting Rotation predictions....

Early...and I mean early....2007 Starting Rotation predictions....

My best guess:

Bronson Arroyo
    Aaron Harang
    Homer Bailey
    Eric Milton
    Matt Belisle
    "Is there a problem officers?"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Early...and I mean early....2007 Starting Rotation predictions....

What we have in-house...

Arroyo
    Harang
    Lohse
    Claussen
    Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    What we have in-house...

Arroyo
    Harang
    Lohse
    Claussen
    Milton
    I think with "in house", this is most probably the current rotation. Ideally I'd like to find a legitimate #3 bump Lohse and see what's up with Claussen coming off surgery.

I wonder what, if anything, Coach Pole will be doing during the offseason viz. reviewing the pitchers and film etc.

You can bet the farm that there will be an addition to this rotation that's not in the organization right now.

Maybe two.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    You can bet the farm that there will be an addition to this rotation that's not in the organization right now.

Maybe two.

With the market as vibrant and active as it is this offseason, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that the above shouldn't be the case.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Harang
    Arroyo
    Armas Jr.
    Milton
    Lohse

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    My best guess:

Bronson Arroyo
    Aaron Harang
    Homer Bailey
    Eric Milton
    Matt Belisle

If the Reds go into next year with that rotation I'll start calling for Wayne's head too.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Harang
    Arroyo
    Milton
    FA
    Ramirez

SP and the 1B platoon is really the only spots left for WK to fill. I think he'll make a run at Wolf/Armas Jr and others on that tier.

If Junior moves to RF and Deno is in CF, Elizardo could be much more effective up here next year. I know he isn't a high ceiling guy, but I think he's not given nearly enough credit. He pitched quite well before getting abused and injured late last year. He's still quite young (24 in January) and has a strong track record of not walking people and keeping the ball in the yard. With a better defense, better health, and more experience, I don't think we could ask for much more out of the #5 spot in the rotation.

Also, I haven't looked around, but how many other teams have 2 30+ GS, sub 4 ERA guys at the top of the rotation. There aren't as many "solid" guys out there as you might think. Look at the rotation the Cards won with last year. It was Carpenter and nobody during the regular season.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-22-2006 at 11:55 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

1. Harang and 2. Arroyo -- Locks
    3. Milton -- Unless some GM somewhere has an undetected accident to his brain (Jim Hendry? JimBo?), Milton will probably be in the rotation.
    4. This may be a contest between Ramirez, Claussen and Lohse. Lohse is the healthiest of the three, but is more expensive and IMO stinks. If either Ramirez or Claussen can rehab from their surgeries of 2006, they may be in the rotation. Belisle may also get a shot at this competition.
    5. FA or trade--unknown who it will be but with the extra cash WK has to spend, I can't see why they can't sign someone for up to $10 million. (Of course, let us hope it is better than the last FA SP signing--see #3 above).

Homer Bailey will, I believe, start the year at AAA.
    Win the Division

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Also, I haven't looked around, but how many other teams have 2 30+ GS, sub 4 ERA guys at the top of the rotation. There aren't as many "solid" guys out there as you might think. Look at the rotation the Cards won with last year. It was Carpenter and nobody during the regular season.
    Be careful with that logic. Think about how strong the Cards were in every other facet of the game.

I don't think it's wise for a team like the Reds to ignore their rotation just because the Cards pulled away from an awful, awful division. (And, for the record, by the end of the season, the Cards had two totally legitimate starters in Suppan and Carpenter--Suppan just had a rough half season--his first in three years).

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Be careful with that logic. Think about how strong the Cards were in every other facet of the game.

I don't think it's wise for a team like the Reds to ignore their rotation just because the Cards pulled away from an awful, awful division. (And, for the record, by the end of the season, the Cards had two totally legitimate starters in Suppan and Carpenter--Suppan just had a rough half season--his first in three years).
    I'm not advocating we plan on a similar performance carrying us. The Cards do play good defense and had solid performances from their pen. Rather, I'm pointing out that we should have an accurate view of reality. Very few, if any NL teams are solid 1-5 in the rotation and most aren't even that solid 1 & 2. A rotation of say, Harang, Arroyo, Armas/Wolf, Milton, and Ramirez could very well be in the upper half the NL. Would I love to have the 3-5 spots filled with more 200 IP, 3.50 ERA guys? Sure. But it's not realistic and it's not like our competition is going to be running out 5 studs against us.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-22-2006 at 12:20 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

True. But while we have ignored the rotation so far, we've added supposedly a gold glove SS to help them.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Would I love to have the 3-5 spots filled with more 200 IP, 3.50 ERA guys? Sure. But it's not realistic and it's not like our competition is going to be running out 5 studs against us.
    No one's asking for that. But two starters with the way this current team stands is dead in the water.

Bailey's a solid #3 right now.

IMO.

That's like getting lucky with a Gil Meche or a Randy Wolf without the pay hike.

Cincinnati needs two starters, though they may not recognize which two to jettison.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

IMO Claussen would be best use as a spot starter/long relief.. at least till all star break. Hopefully Lohse can pitch like the first few games he started for us after the trade. Lohse has the mentality that he is out to prove those who doubt him and his ability. Also I think this is last year for arbitration before becoming a free agent. With that said lets hope him and Milton go out and pitch for a huge contract.

Still with that said I think we need a #3 guy. Names that could bargin signings would be Mulder, Wolf, Eaton, and Armas... when I say bargin.. I mean fit the Reds budget.

Turn Off Ads?