Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Angels close to signing Mathews Jr. (5 years $50 million)

Re: Angels close to signing Mathews Jr. (5 years $55 million)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I guess the Angels aren't the only ones out of their minds.
    That the thing -- these teams aren't bidding against themselves or pulling numbers out of thin air. That is, the Angels aren't bidding $10MM with the next best offer at $5MM per year. For each crazy contract like this (and like Pierre's) there is at least one more team willing to pay the guy something close to that amount.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Pierre got 5 yrs for $45 million from the Dodgers today, also. I think the Dodgers are out of their minds, too. But not as crazy as the Giants and Angels.

At least Juan can play defense.
    sorry we're boring

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    i really dont see whats dumb with this contract or the Pierre contract.

if both pan out and do what is expected of them, then hey its a fair market value contract.

and people need to remind themselves that the length of the contract for guaranteed money is only a bargaining chip and nothing more. do the angels expect last years performance for the next five years? probably not because of his obvious age but did offering the extra 2 years get him signed for the next 3 years?

hell yes.

sometimes u have to extend the length of a contract to ensure the player signs for the "NOW"
    The length of a contract is not just a bargaining chip, it's real money.

Firstly, the $11M is grossly too much for a player of Matthews calibre.

Secondly, you don't sign players to long term contracts who haven't proven that they are consistently good, and can stay healthy. Guys like Griffey had proven that, and it still hasn't worked out well for the Reds.

Pierre has been consistently bad. He simply isn't a very good player, even when he's playing at the top of his game.

Matthews was very good last year, but not to the tune of $11M. And I doubt we ever see that kind of season again from him. If they honestly believe he won't perform for the length of the contract, they just flushed a bunch of money down the toilet.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Pierre got 5 yrs for $45 million from the Dodgers today, also. I think the Dodgers are out of their minds, too. But not as crazy as the Giants and Angels.

At least Juan can play defense.
    Juan Pierre has an absolutely putrid arm.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Juan Pierre has an absolutely putrid arm.
    OK, but all the metrics charts shown above rate Pierre the top CF in the NL.

I think it's his bat that is putrid; lifetime OPS .727.

I don't think either of these guys is worth that kind of money, but obviously the marketplace does. I'm glad I'm not a GM; I'd be holding my nose and writing checks!
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?