Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jennings for Freel (revisited)

Jennings for Freel (revisited)

The Rockies had hoped to sign Dave Roberts to play centerfield and to improve team speed, but he is now poised to sign with the Giants. Might the Rockies now need to look into acquiring Ryan Freel? Would they offer Jason Jennings? Would the Reds' offense suffer without Freel?

Jason Jennings groundball style seems to be a logical choice for the Reds, but...is he really worth Ryan Freel? The answer is obviously yes, but I have reservations about Jennings.

First, Jennings stuff is okay, but it isn't outstanding. He is no more than a number three type starter. However, he throws lots of sinkers which induce those groundballs so he is a nice fit for the Reds and their new shortstop/secondbase defense.

But, why might the Rockies trade Jennings now? Is it because he is coming off a career year in 2006? After his rookie season, Jennings had a three year (2003-2005) ERA over 5.00 and WHIP over 1.60. Which pitcher will he be next year, the 2006 version or the 2003-2005 version?

I truly believe in trading outfielders for pitchers, but can the Reds' punchless offense afford to lose their top speed component? The Reds can no longer rely on the three run homerun and would be hard pressed to mount an offense without on-base and first to third abilities. I'd still trade Freel for Jennings in a heatbeat, but I'd have reservations. Jennings, who makes Josh Hancock look like a fitness instructor, could have a negative effect on the team if the 2003-2005 version showed up and the team lacked speed.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jennings for Freel (revisited)

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I truly believe in trading outfielders for pitchers, but can the Reds' punchless offense afford to lose their top speed component?
    The Reds wouldn't take much of a hit offensively or defensively by having Deno in CF instead of Freel. So from a perspective of what we have and what we need I don't see a big problem. Career year for Jennings, maybe, but I'd be willing to trade Freel and find out.

(I know this is year 2 of a two year deal deal for Freel. Is he a FA after that?)

to me this is a no-brainer. jennings would upgrade this staff to the top of the NL central.
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Porkchop Sandwiches

What about Deno and a prospect for Jennings?

The Rockies may prefer that package due to cost, age, and durability concerns, especially considering the similar skill sets. The question is would the Reds still do it? Remember, Deno's existence was a big reason that Wayne was comfortable pulling the trigger on "the trade."

I'm pretty sure Jennings is a Free Agent next year.

I can't see how he was able to have a 3.78 ERA with a 1.37 WHIP, sounds like he was pretty lucky last year.

I think I would look else where.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but I'm not sure how well Freel's champagne jams would go over in the Puritan-precise clubhouse in Denver.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post
    to me this is a no-brainer. jennings would upgrade this staff to the top of the NL central.
    If the 2003-2005 version shows up, I have my doubts about this statement.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Wayne should definatly be shopping Freel to teams in need of a CF like the Rockies, White Sox, and Giants in hopes of landing a starter.

The Rockies picked up his $5.5 million option for 2007 but would like to sign him beyond that, rather than risk losing him via free agency after the season.

That has led to the logical step of the Rockies listening to other teams interested in trading for Jennings. However, O'Dowd said it's too early for him to know how much interest there is in Jennings, and the priority is negotiating with Jennings and his agent, Casey Close.

"We have Jason signed through this year," O'Dowd said. "There's no sense of urgency about it at all."

Jennings has proven the ability to pitch at Coors Field and be a workhorse, but the unknown is whether Jennings is more valuable to the club in purple pinstripes or in acquiring multiple players in a deal.

http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=col
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I'd keep Deno over Freel, as he's younger and cheaper, with likley more upside. Freel also likely have more immediate trade value, as he's more proven.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    What about Deno and a prospect for Jennings?

The Rockies may prefer that package due to cost, age, and durability concerns, especially considering the similar skill sets. The question is would the Reds still do it? Remember, Deno's existence was a big reason that Wayne was comfortable pulling the trigger on "the trade."
    I'd rather keep Denorfia and ship Freel to the Rockies. Our IF seems pretty set right now with the AGon signing, so Freel's home is in the OF. IMO, I'd prefer Dunn, Griffey, Denorfia (assuming we trot the statue wearing #3 out to CF and obviously bat him 3rd....) than Dunn, Griffey, Freel. Denorfia's defense is superior to Freel's, but I don't doubt or question Freel's heart or passion.

The Rockies know what they'd get in Freel. Denorfia is still an unproven, and I don't think the Rockies would trade Jennings for a crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but I'm not sure how well Freel's champagne jams would go over in the Puritan-precise clubhouse in Denver.
    He and Ronnie Dobbs would have a tough time there.

Funny how the team plays in Coors Field, but doesn't drink in the locker room.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    The Reds wouldn't take much of a hit offensively or defensively by having Deno in CF instead of Freel
    i am still wondering "if" wayne k will do anything in regards to jr playing another of spot (barring a trade of course).

i am still wondering "if" wayne k will do anything in regards to jr playing another of spot (barring a trade of course).
    Yup. We percieve CF to be a problem. There's been no indication or acknowledgment that the organization thinks they have a problem in CF.

keep Freel

even if Denorfia looks good in 2007 Freel will play 40-60 games while Griffey rests and Free will fill in for Deno, Dunn, EE & Phillips.
    We need depth & Freel is a big part of this.

Turn Off Ads?