Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1975 World Series DVD Set

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: 1975 World Series DVD Set

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    One thing that jumped out at me was the way that Marty was agreeing with the other guys that Armbrister SHOULD HAVE been called for interference. The network must have been telling them to say it.
    I don't know how you'd conclude that. Many people thought he should have been called for interference, and it was largely considered a bad call that he wasn't. The Reds would have won the series anyway, of course.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I'm not buying you a Christmas present
    Santa (in the form of my Visa) got it for me. My son actually still gets into the santa thing and if there is nothing under the tree for me, he wonders why Santa ignored me. So, I had to buy this to save his belief in Santa.

Last edited by deltachi8; 11-23-2006 at 12:32 AM.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I like hearing Tony Kubek and Joe Garagiola. Those guys broadcasted the NBC game of the week when I was a kid, so it's like turning back the clock.

I love the split screen when a runner is on base, and the view from behind the catcher that you never seem to see anymore. That view actually gives you a great view of the break on the pitches, and gives you a better sense of the velocity than the centerfield view that we always get now. I have no idea why baseball doesn't seem to care about that shot anymore. I mean, it's the most popular view in video games...

The scenes from the crowd are great. Better than That 70's Show.

I must be gettin' old, I thought Curt Gowdy worked that series with Kubek and Garagiola also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I must be gettin' old, I thought Curt Gowdy worked that series with Kubek and Garagiola also.
    He did. I still remember a cartoon that appeared in one of the Cincinnati newspapers after the Reds won, mocking Gowdy for supposedly sounding depressed when Yaz's flyball fell into Geronimo's glove for the final out in the Series.
    Gowdy probably was rooting for the Red Sox, but I had no problem with his announcing. It was kind of cool to hear his voice again. Growing up, we only got one channel, an NBC affiliate, so every network baseball and NFL game I watched seemed to feature Gowdy as the lead announcer.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I remember those days RedsBaron. IMHO Gowdy is one of the best announcers of all time. Gowdy and Garagiola were one heck of a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I remember those days RedsBaron. IMHO Gowdy is one of the best announcers of all time. Gowdy and Garagiola were one heck of a team.
    Garagiola and Tony Kubek teaming up were awesome in the 1970's.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Just watched game 7 with my father tonight. What a game. It was the first time I'd ever seen the BRM in action. WOW. Very special baseball game indeed.

It was irritating to hear about Fisks homerun from the night before about 1,568 times durring the game. I made a comment about they seemed to be stuck on it and my father replied that people have been stuck on it for 30 years.

Perez's home run was simply amazing. He waited 5 minutes for that dipsy-doodle pitch to make it to the plate and then crushed it. It might still be in orbit.

I've said it before on this board and I will say it again. Many casual fans recall the Fisk homerun and they assume that the Red Sox won that series.

These are the same people that think that Buckner's error cost the Sox the series in '86. In reality, game 6 was already tied when Buckner made the error, and the pitcher was slow in getting off the mound and to the bag, so they might not have gotten a very fast Mookie Wilson anyway. And, game 7 still had to be played.

Fisk jokes that the Red Sox won the 1975 World Series, 3 games to 4.
    A few months after the 1975 World Series Marty Brenneman and Joe Nuxhall appeared at Marshall University. They took questions and played a highlight film from the Series. When Bill Lee began to windup to deliver his blooper pitch to Tony Perez in game seven, everyone in the room started to shout and cheer even before Lee released the ball--we knew what was coming.

Does this set show all 7 games or is it just highlights

Quote Originally Posted by redram View Post
    Does this set show all 7 games or is it just highlights
    It is primarily the full games, minus commercials, as they were originally broadcast.

I was watching Game 2 yesterday and it's funny how much the game has changed since then. Hardly anyone crowded the plate; the Reds' starter (Billingham) was left in till the 7th and didn't get taken out till he gave up a run. Today, there'd be 3 relievers in the game by then. Eastwick - who was the closer - was put in the game in the 8th inning and was allowed to bat for himself in the 9th. No double switches for either team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I was watching Game 2 yesterday and it's funny how much the game has changed since then. Hardly anyone crowded the plate; the Reds' starter (Billingham) was left in till the 7th and didn't get taken out till he gave up a run. Today, there'd be 3 relievers in the game by then. Eastwick - who was the closer - was put in the game in the 8th inning and was allowed to bat for himself in the 9th. No double switches for either team.
    Sparky Anderson was nicknamed "Captain Hook" back in the 70s, but by the 90s he had one of the slowest "hooks" in the game. Sparky didn't change; the game did.

Turn Off Ads?