Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First base

First base

Assuming that the Reds keep Dunn, Griffey, and EE, these are the only real offensive threats in the lineup. With this mix of players, Hatteberg at first base is not ideal. I admire him as a player and don't mean to be negative about him, but it seems they need a middle-of-the-order guy at that position.

Absent a major reshuffling, I assume that Freel, Deno, or some new speedster (or a combo of them) will ultimately wind up in center field. I assume Dunn will be in left and, likely, Griff in right. With Krivsky's emphasis on defense, I would be surprised if Griff is in center next year.

I know about Votto but would be surprised if he is the regular first baseman next year. Some folks have posted about a righty platoon guy, like Craig Wilson. Frankly, in a "win in 2007 scenario" this is not ideal.

If the Reds really want to contend, they should sign or trade for an older first baseman, probably a righty bat, with power. Not a platoon player but a regular. Hatteberg would spell him on occasion and be more of a bench presence next year. This would round out the lineup nicely and, with a short-term deal, leave things for Mr. Votto for the future.

I don't know who this would be, but perhaps others have ideas. Nevin? Millar? Someone via trade?
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-22-2006 at 02:33 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: First base

Part of the problem is that Votto doesn't exactly tear it up vL either. He basically has shown little power against lefties. Even if Hatty was traded and Votto came up, we'd still likely want a righty platoon guy. Looking at the market, there aren't a ton of world beaters out there and Wilson is actually one of the more balanced hitters (.875 vL, .795 vR).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Part of the problem is that Votto doesn't exactly tear it up vL either. He basically has shown little power against lefties. Even if Hatty was traded and Votto came up, we'd still likely want a righty platoon guy. Looking at the market, there aren't a ton of world beaters out there and Wilson is actually one of the more balanced hitters (.875 vL, .795 vR).
    Nothing against Wilson, but even the Bucs weren't willing to make him a regular. He strikes out a ton (I know, some people like that) and seems more of a platoon type. Maybe he can start, but it seems a stretch.

Frankly, I had in mind a much more proficient hitter, just can't think of a name. But a starter. (Is Orlando Cepeda available?)

For the middle of the order, I would like to see Griffey, EE, Dunn and X. I would like to see X be someone with a very potent bat. Then you can have Freel/Deno, Phillips, Ross/Javy and Gonzalez in support.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Well, here's the list of FA 1B from ESPN.com

Code:
    Player			Age	Status		Old Team	New Team	Years	Dollars		Rank
    Jeff Bagwell		38	Free Agent	Houston		--					NR
    Sean Casey		32	Signed		Detroit		Detroit		1	$4,000,000	NR
    Nomar Garciaparra	33	Signed		LA Dodgers	LA Dodgers	2	$18,500,000	22
    Shea Hillenbrand	31	Free Agent	San Francisco	--					23
    Brian Jordan		39	Free Agent	Arizona		--					NR
    John Mabry		36	Free Agent	Chicago Cubs	--					NR
    Doug Mientkiewicz	32	Free Agent	Kansas City	--					NR
    Kevin Millar		35	Free Agent	Baltimore	--					NR
    Phil Nevin		35	Free Agent	Minnesota	--					NR
    Eduardo Perez		37	Free Agent	Seattle		--					NR
    Todd Walker		33	Free Agent	San Diego	--					NR
    Craig Wilson		29	Free Agent	NY Yankees	--					NR
    See somebody on there who's a better bet than Wilson? Maybe Kevin Millar, but that's a toss up in my book and I'm willing to bet Millar is more expensive. If you want somebody better, you're going to have to trade and I'm not sure that a trade for a 1B is the best use of our resources.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-22-2006 at 03:01 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Nothing against Wilson, but even the Bucs weren't willing to make him a regular. He strikes out a ton (I know, some people like that) and seems more of a platoon type. Maybe he can start, but it seems a stretch.

Hm. Let's see. The Pirates don't want to make Wilson a starter because he strikes out too much. And yet the Pirates have been, for the last 15 seasons, among the bottom third in league-offense.

Couldn't possibly have anything to do with a backwards philosophy viz. offense, could it?

What's interesting about teams that perennially suck is that they wear their flaws on their sleeves for everyone to point out. Trouble is, they don't pay attention--even when better options are right under their nose.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-22-2006 at 02:51 PM.

If the Reds sign Miechtiweitzhfrwietzxcfnw I am taking my ball and going home. Seriously, no Miechweitzxsdfgjuiomw
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    If the Reds sign Miechtiweitzhfrwietzxcfnw I am taking my ball and going home. Seriously, no Miechweitzxsdfgjuiomw

That's what he'd do. Just ask the Red Sox.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

the nice thing about Wilson is that he could platoon with Hatteberg and play some OF.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    the nice thing about Wilson is that he could platoon with Hatteberg and play some OF.
    And he seems to be off the radar, so he might sign for a reasonable rate.

Hillenbrand seems to be more 'in demand' right now.

Edit: Trot Nixon and Wilson would give some team a real productive, and inexpensive, RF platoon, IMO.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Wilson would be perfect for our team. He could play first against LH pitchers, and play LF and RF as needed. he'd get 400 AB's and give us an OPS above .800.

I always felt that if you let Wilson get you 500 AB's or so, he'd hit at an above average rate of production.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Wilson would be perfect for our team. He could play first against LH pitchers, and play LF and RF as needed. he'd get 400 AB's and give us an OPS above .800.

I always felt that if you let Wilson get you 500 AB's or so, he'd hit at an above average rate of production.
    On top of that the way the sunlight plays upon his hair would do wonders for the female fan base in Cincinnati. (Well, that's what vaticanplum told me anyway)

Sign Craig Wilson. Now.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I wouldn't mind Nixon either.

He could play RF against RH pitching. Dude can't hit lefties though.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    On top of that the way the sunlight plays upon his hair would do wonders for the female fan base in Cincinnati. (Well, that's what vaticanplum told me anyway)

Sign Craig Wilson. Now.
    I think he sheared his David Lee Roth-esque mane last season.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Sign Wilson and focus the rest (if any) of the dollars on a starter.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I think there's a mis-spelling here. It should be "Miechtiwietzhfrwietzxcfnw".

Remember, it's "i" before "e" except after "c".

Turn Off Ads?