Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baileys Curveball mentioned as one of the best

Re: Baileys Curveball mentioned as one of the best

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I like the idea of starting him in the bullpen. It gives him a little more room to adjust to major league hitting, it keeps his innings down, and it also keeps his ego down. I certainly don't know the kid, but everything I've read says he's pretty cocky and I wouldn't want to see his head get too big because of early success. If come June/July, he's pitching well and there's a spot for him in the rotation, sure, move him up.
    I don't like moving Homer to the pen at all. It could be more of a strain on his arm, always warming up and cooling down and then pitching on no set schedule. I would of liked it if they did it at the end of the year to give him a cup of coffee and if it was controlled, like they did with Wagner at first and only pitched on the 3rd day. I think being the 5th starter would work out the best.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope they leave him in Louisville for the entire 2007 season. What's the rush?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    I believe your criticisms are inaccurate and unfair. Bailey made great improvement from 2005 to 2006 in pitching effectively in the strike zone - his numbers 50 walks in 138 2/3 innings prove this. He not only throws a number of pitches for strikes, he hits the bottom of the strike zone a lot, which is really special and is an indication of his ability to locate his pitches. His mechanics are excellent for all his pitches, and while he needs to work on his strength and stamina so that his mechanics hold up even when he is fatigued, this is something all pitchers need to work on. Contrary to what you say, the Reds better not mess with his mechanics because they are fine. Finally, the problems he has with his two kinds of curveball (from what I have seen and this has been echoed by respected evaluators) are with consistency - he has the ability to throw them for strikes but he hangs a few too many up in the strike zone. This too, is normal for a 20 year old, and something he can work on and improve.
    I never said that his mechanics need to be changed, but rather to constantly reinforce his fundamentals.

I offered a very constructive critique of our future "ace". I'm sorry you don't echo my feelings.

Turn Off Ads?