Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who will win round 2?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bengals

35 85.37%
  • Browns

6 14.63%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals vs. Browns, Round 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bengals vs. Browns, Round 2

Time to break up the love-fest among the Buckeye fans, send them to their respective corners of the state, and have them come out fighting. Who you got this Sunday and why?

The Bengals seem to have it working finally on offense while they have completely lost the ability to play defense at all. I'm not sure how far you can go by letting a team march right down the field and then plan on getting the pick in the end zone. They've worked that plan to perfection the last two weeks (of course they left off the "pick in the end zone" part vs. San Diego, but let's not nitpick ). Will we have another 58-48 shootout like we did in '04?

The weather is supposed to be 52 and cloudy so that doesn't sound like much of a factor. Not sure what the turf is like right now up in Cleveland but I assume it will not be a fast track. I'll be a homer and say Bengals 31 Browns 27 with Rudi and Winslow Jr. both having big games.

Good luck Brownies. Go Bengals!

p.s. - One very cool item of note; the game will be in HD.

Re: Bengals vs. Browns, Round 2

Bengals. Even though they currently have no D...Cleveland has no O. Bengals will easily outscore the Brownies.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Bengals. Even though they currently have no D...Cleveland has no O. Bengals will easily outscore the Brownies.
    Hold on here, my fellow Buckeye fan. Cleveland's defense has actually been on the improvement the last few weeks. They've actually been the backbone on the team. The problem is that last week's meltdown against the Steelers really zapped a lot from them.

I think Cleveland wins - 24-21. Here's why. That 52 & sunny you see? It'll be 35 and spitting snow on Sunday. It will ground the air games. Plus, Reuben Droughns might be out. You might want to get a load of this Jason Wright guy. The Bengals usually have problems against the unknown. Plus the Brownies D really wants to rebound from last week.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Oops. I finally added an actual poll so we can vote....

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I think Cleveland wins - 24-21. Here's why. That 52 & sunny you see? It'll be 35 and spitting snow on Sunday. It will ground the air games. Plus, Reuben Droughns might be out. You might want to get a load of this Jason Wright guy. The Bengals usually have problems against the unknown. Plus the Brownies D really wants to rebound from last week.
    Spoken like a true homer. I say that with all respect, I'm the same way about my teams. Every season I believe the Reds, Bengals, Bulls, Blackhawks, and Wildcats can all win with a little break here or there.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Hold on here, my fellow Buckeye fan. Cleveland's defense has actually been on the improvement the last few weeks. They've actually been the backbone on the team. The problem is that last week's meltdown against the Steelers really zapped a lot from them.

You're a loyal fan brother. I'm sitting here at my keyboard crying with emotional pride.

The Cleveland Browns have been in alot of their games this year, and have allowed a few to simply slip away. The Ravens and Pitt games still hurt. The Bears game, and the first meeting with the Bengals, were probably two games where we weren't in them.

Our defense, which has risen to the occassion, can only be expected to do so much when spending so much time on the field. But I am surprised at our D's play with our starting corners out.

I think both of these teams are better than their respective records indicate. Too many injuries at key positions.

The fact that the Bengal's defense is struggling will help Frye and the offense. But as you say... how much help is there going to be with the possibility of Droughns not playing, and both Edwards and Winslow banged up and listed as questionable?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Teams with no offense and really good defenses are the types of teams the Bengals match up well with. They can score on just about anyone, but they can't stop a decent offense.
    Yep.

The Browns will not even come close to winning if they try to get into a shoot-out (aka the SD game) with the Bengals. They are going to have to establish a balanced attack and keep the time of possession close, giving their defense some rest, to have a shot.

Firing Carthon has helped to move this team in the right direction.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-23-2006 at 05:14 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    Cleveland has no O.
    If they just run eleven guys out there, they'll score against the Bengals.

This team has been up and down all season. They've pulled some nice surprises by dominating at Kansas City and New Orleans and winning at Pittsburgh. But they've also been guilty of sleepwalking at Tampa Bay, getting embarassed at home by New England, and suffering a collapse of historic proportions against San Diego. Bottom line is that I have no idea what to expect from them from week to week, but I wisely keep my expectations low.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    If they just run eleven guys out there, they'll score against the Bengals.
    That'd be a lot funnier if it wasn't so true.

Teams with no offense and really good defenses are the types of teams the Bengals match up well with. They can score on just about anyone, but they can't stop a decent offense. On paper, this one should be a W for the Bengals, but with this season's team you just never know.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The Browns will have to stop Rudi, which they have not stopped a Bengals running back since Boobie Clark, I think. Of course, that is the recipe for victory every week--over 20 carries and 100+ yards means Bengals victory. Throw in another big day from a suddenly silent Chad and I think we are looking at another Bengals victory.

BTW, the D has been able to stop bad offenses like TB and the Brownies earlier in the year, but they are still awfully banged up. It's gonna take turnovers yet again, I'm sure.

I'll take the Bengals 28-17.

My prediction, 63-59 Bengals.

I'm not sure what the line is for this one, but take the over
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    My prediction, 63-59 Bengals.

I'm not sure what the line is for this one, but take the over
    We had one like that a couple years ago, didn't we?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I'm not sure why, but I hate the Browns. They don't have any players that I like. Nobody sticks out with amazing talent &/or ability, I just have no need for the Browns. Didn't help that they loss to the Steelers last week, which half way puts them back into it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I'm not sure why, but I hate the Browns. They don't have any players that I like. Nobody sticks out with amazing talent &/or ability
    They have some playmakers up there. Just no offensive line. Once Savage fixes that, and I think he will, you'll hate us even more. But divisional rivalries are good and alot of fun.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But divisional rivalries are good and alot of fun.
    Absolutely! I am a lifelong Bengals diehard. I have been heard to say that I hate the Browns more than once in my lifetime (esp. during the Bernie years).

However... the Bernie vs. Boomer years were great times. I was in college at Ohio University (mid-80's) and had some of the best times at parties with a 50-50 Bengals-Browns crowd during those games. Great fun and great games between two good teams.

When Jerk Modell took that team away I was bummed. It ruined the fun and twice-a-year games. I really missed playing the Brownies during that 3-year span. Even when our teams were not very good it was still fun to play that in-state game twice a year. It was one of the only highlights of 15 long years for this Bengals fan.

This time... Bengals 27 - Brownies 17.

Turn Off Ads?