Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okay...So I'm a bundle of nerves.

Okay...So I'm a bundle of nerves.

As has been well documented, my girl of three years and I split a few months ago.

In that time I've had little contact with her. I just felt things would get better for both of us if we weren't mucking it up for each other.

Sunday, I decided to call her just to kinda extend an olive branch of sorts. I think it's bad to carry around crappy feelings. It went pretty well. We talked for about half an hour, and we both got stuff off our chests. I actually felt kinda neato about it all. We even decided that we should get together and have a few pops, with the hope that we won't hate each other in the future.

Last night I made plans with a bunch of friends to get together for a day before Thanksgiving over embibe a thon. We do it every year, and it's always been a real gas.

So I'm sitting there listening to records and my phone rings.

It's her, of course.

A cheery hello and how's it going ensued, followed by an invite from her to go out after she finished up at work.

My response?

"I can't. Can you believe that?"

She quickly told me that it was okay, but I felt the need to tell her that I felt bad because it was my idea for us to get together in the first place.

I have no idea why I feel so weird about it all. Things felt natural when we talked on Sunday, but today I feel like I hurt her feelings.

Why should I care about that?

Why am I all jumpy and jittery now?

She didn't seem insulted over the phone, but she did exit the conversation rather abruptly.

Maybe I'm still afraid to see her, but I really do have plans tonight.

Maybe I'm still shocked that it's over.

Maybe I'm glad it's over, and my subconsious is trying to steer me clear of her.

Maybe I've had too much coffee.

I'm hoping someone can help me sort this out so I can have fun tonight.

Any takers?
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Okay...So I'm a bundle of nerves.

Go have fun.

You told the truth, and your heart seems in the right place not wanting to hurt her.

If it's meant to be, you'll reconnect. If not, you've said the things you wanted to and that's all good.

Go howl at the moon, if that's what you want to do.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Man Pills

Don't drink.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

We even decided that we should get together and have a few pops, with the hope that we won't hate each other in the future.
    Is it possible to do this... w/out it leading to the bedroom in the end? In my single-life, I tried to do this w/ ex-girlfriends and the evening always seemed to end in the bedroom. Ending in the bedroom seemed great in the short-term, but never was a good thing in the long-run.

It might be possible, but it never worked that way for me.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Is it possible to do this... w/out it leading to the bedroom in the end? In my single-life, I tried to do this w/ ex-girlfriends and the evening always seemed to end in the bedroom. Ending in the bedroom seemed great in the short-term, but never was a good thing in the long-run.

It might be possible, but it never worked that way for me.
    Oh gawd!

I never even thought about that.

I really don't want to get back with her at all.

I'm just trying to avoid the spiteful backbiting that can materialize.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Oh gawd!

I never even thought about that.

I really don't want to get back with her at all.

Sometimes there are advantages to being shallow and not opening up. That's why I recommended not drinking. Not because I thought it would lead to the sack. Give yourself no incentive to do anything but be civil.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

That's cool, wheels. You have to remember that. Sometimes it is very-very hard to not get those "old feelings" when that get-back-together-thing happens. It might have just been me or it might just be a human nature thing. Emotions can be an evil thing sometimes. Or maybe it was just a hormonal thing!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Sometimes there are advantages to being shallow and not opening up. That's why I recommended not drinking. Not because I thought it would lead to the sack. Give yourself no incentive to do anything but be civil.
    Thanks for the clarification, 'cause tonight's a night for drinking if there ever was one.

You'd think I'd have all of this relationship/non-relationship stuff down by now.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    That's cool, wheels. You have to remember that. Sometimes it is very-very hard to not get those "old feelings" when that get-back-together-thing happens. It might have just been me or it might just be a human nature thing. Emotions can be an evil thing sometimes. Or maybe it was just a hormonal thing!
    Pheramones stink.

Man Pills

Thanks for the clarification, 'cause tonight's a night for drinking if there ever was one.

You'd think I'd have all of this relationship/non-relationship stuff down by now.
    And maybe that advice doesn't mean a thing to you: it's just that I've been known to go all David Allan Coe when I'm drunk and say a bunch of things I regret later. Some things so embarrassing that even today they make me want to gouge out my eyes and replace them with gobstoppers.

Don't drink.
    More importantly, don't call her after you've been drinking. Bad, bad, idea. Juan Piere for long term contract bad.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Now that the "air has been cleared" so to speak, my experience has been that moving on and living your life is the best way to avoid spiteful backbiting. You got your mess off your chest so things wern't left un-resolved, leave it at that.

Trying to "be a nice guy" or "just be friends" is a perfect way to invite those spitful, backbiting problems. You ended on a nice note. Leave it at that and move on.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

And maybe that advice doesn't mean a thing to you: it's just that I've been known to go all David Allan Coe when I'm drunk and say a bunch of things I regret later. Some things so embarrassing that even today they make me want to gouge out my eyes and replace them with gobstoppers.
    Jack Daniels, if you please...

I think the phone call was sufficient. If you have no desire to get back with her, don't go out just the two of you. It's a recipe for disaster. Anytime you're with someone exclusively for that long a time period, there's inevitably certain emotions that will resurface seeing each other in the flesh under amiable circumstances. Intellectually, you think you can contextualize them and not let them get to you, but something about being in the presence of someone who has that much history with you changes things and it will be difficult to control those emotions.

Honestly, I'd just avoid it altogether.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

What's a record?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Turn Off Ads?