Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Deno Sent Packing from DomRep

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Deno Sent Packing from DomRep

In a team shakeup, after 5 straight losses and a fifth place in the standings (out of 6) the Escogido Lions (Leones del Escogido) fired their manager and sent several foreigners home.

Chris Denorfia, Shane Costa and Paul Phillips were reportedly terminated and will head back to the US.

Denorfia was hitting .258/.330/.322 in 93 AB but was beginning to hit better after a slow start.

Joey Votto, who hasn't played for over two weeks (reason unknown...it was suggested family emergency) probably won't be back either.

For Spanish speakers...here's the note from a Venezuelan newspaper..

Escogido con nuevo timonel. Los Leones del Escogido despidieron a su dirigente Teodoro Martínez, y nombraron en su lugar a Héctor de la Cruz, el tercer capataz de la escuadra escarlata en la temporada de beisbol profesional dominicano.

Además, la gerencia del equipo anunció la salida de los refuerzos estadounidenses Chris Denorfia, Shane Costa y Paul Phillis, un día después de que el conjunto sufriera su quinta derrota consecutiva.

El Escogido también anunció la contratación del receptor panameño Einar Díaz y del primera base y jardinero estadounidense Brad Eldre, y el regreso al equipo del ex jugador Gerónimo Berroa como asistente de bateo.

Einar Díaz viene de jugar en Venezuela con Lara.

Los Leones (11-16) se encuentran en la quinta posición del campeonato, fuera de la lucha por la clasificación.

De la Cruz es el tercer capataz del Escogido, que inició la campaña bajo la tutela del estadounidense Dean Treanor, despedido tras el inicio del descalabro del conjunto, que estuvo al frente del campeonato durante los primeros 12 días de acción.

Hasta su designación, De la Cruz era asistente del dirigente de los Tigres del Licey, Rafael Landestoy, equipo que lidera el campeonato desde hace más de tres semanas.

El Escogido ganó su último título de liga en la temporada de 1991-1992.
    Last edited by oneupper; 11-23-2006 at 07:14 AM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Deno Sent Packing from DomRep

rough translation using a web program...

It chosen with new helmsman. The Lions of the Chosen said good-bye to their leading one Teodoro Martínez, and they named in their place to Hector of the Cross, the third foreman of the scarlet squad in the season of beisbol professional Dominican.

Besides, the management of the team announced the exit of the American reinforcements Chris Denorfia, Shane Coast and Paul Phillis, a day after the assembly to suffer its fifth consecutive rout.

The it Chosen also announced the contracting of the Panamanian receiver Einar Díaz and of the first base and American gardener Brad Eldre, and the return al team of the former player Gerónimo Berroa as the assistant of I bat.

Einar Díaz comes to play in Venezuela with Lara.

The Lions (11-16) are found in the fifth position of the championship, out of the fight by the classification.

Of the Cross is the third foreman of the Chosen, that initiated the campaign under the guardianship of the American Of Treanor, said good-bye after the start of the accident of the assembly, that was al front of the championship during the first 12 days of action.

To his designation, Of the Cross was an assistant of the leader of the Tigres of the Licey, Rafael Landestoy, team that heads the championship for more than three weeks.

The it Chosen he gained his last title of league in the season of 1991-1992.

I love online translators.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

"Lions of the Chosen"

They take their "beisbol" very seriously in the Caribbean winter leagues. It's not some "practice league" for minor leaguers to get some reps or stay sharp. Since the season is so short...there is little tolerance for early season slumps.

In any case. hopefully Chris and Joey picked up something more than a few words in Spanish and some "arroz con pollo".
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

HEctor of the Cross. That's either a great name for a rock band or a catholic church in the barrio.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I heard Deno was swamped by hords of people in DR calling him the "half God" half Man" king. On leaving the airport, everybody was trying to touch him.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

I love online translators.
    You can say that again. Several years back I got the bright idea that with the internet I could brush up on my Spanish by reading the winter baseball accounts online. It did not take me long to realize that the guys writing the sports in Latin America have (at least) as many idioms and pet phrases as our guys here at home. I have also tried (with little luck) to sharpen my ear by listening to the winter league games in Spanish on short wave (and nowdays some times the MLB Spanish feeds too).

One thing I had no trouble understanding was when Sean Casey was having that horrible run of GIDP and the DBacks Spanish language crew was going on about him being "el primero la liga" in DPs. About that time Sean hit another DP ball. Before the play by play man could even call it, the color man went loco shouting "numero veinte cinco! veinte cinco!"
    Last edited by jnwohio; 11-24-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Denorfia, tearing it up with the stick, as usual. I'll be surprised if he is ever more than a caddy. Please prove me wrong, Chris.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Denorfia, tearing it up with the stick, as usual. I'll be surprised if he is ever more than a caddy. Please prove me wrong, Chris.
    You mean like the he did the last half month in September? You already have been proved wrong but won't except your defeat.

I'll be happy if he proves me wrong, but unlike you, it is going to take more than two weeks of fools gold at the end of the season to do that.

You already have been proved wrong but won't except your defeat.
    So convincing.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Of the Cross is the third foreman of the Chosen, that initiated the campaign under the guardianship of the American Of Treanor, said good-bye after the start of the accident of the assembly, that was al front of the championship during the first 12 days of action.
    This may be the best sentence I have ever read in my life.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    It's lovely enough to make Joyce crack a grin.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Its a direct ripoff from Monty Python's 'Meaning of Life".

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Better Translation from http://babelfish.altavista.com:

Chosen with new helmsman. The Lions of the Chosen one dismissed their Teodoro leader Martinez, and named in their place to Héctor de la Cruz, the third overseer of the scarlet square in the Dominican season of beisbol professional. In addition, the management of the equipment announced the exit of the American reinforcements Chris Denorfia, Shane Costa and Paul Phillis, a day after the set suffered its fifth consecutive defeat. Also the Chosen one announced the hiring of the Panamanian receiver Einar Diaz and the first base and American gardener Brad Eldre, and the return to the team of the ex- player Gerónimo attending Berroa as of batting. Einar Diaz comes to play in Venezuela with Lara. The Lions (11-16) are in the fifth position of the championship, outside the fight by the classification. De la Cruz is the third overseer of the Chosen one, that initiated the campaign under the trusteeship of the American Treanor Dean, dismissed after the beginning of the setback of the set, that was to the front of the championship during the first 12 days of action. Until his designation, De la Cruz was attending of the leader of the Tigers of the Licey, Rafael Landestoy, equipment that the championship for more has been leading than three weeks. The Chosen one gained its last title of league in the season of 1991-1992.

The "Lions of the Chosen" are now 14-27 for the season and 3-11 since releasing Deno.

Brad Eldred, first base and gardener is 1 for 18 with 10Ks

Ruben Mateo, known from around here, is hitting .221 with a .242 OBP.

Turn Off Ads?