Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jerry Narron Brings It On

Jerry Narron Brings It On

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archiv...on/index.shtml

The United Way of Wayne County just keeps coming up with big hits.

This time, its members have convinced Jerry Narron -- "The Big Read Machine" as fundraising campaign chairman Geoff Hulse calls him -- to come in and bat cleanup for their Bring It On campaign.

Bring It On is the moniker the United Way has given its final push toward its $1.44 million 2006 funding goal.

As the the campaign reaches certain stepping stones -- 60 percent, 70 percent, 80 percent, 90 percent and 100 percent -- rewards will be given to the community.

When it reaches 90 percent, Narron, manager of the Cincinnati Reds, has agreed to lead a storyhour at Wayne County Public Library in Goldsboro.

"We're definitely looking forward to it," children's librarian Shorlette Ammons-Stephens said. "We're excited the United Way decided to include literacy in the campaign and we're excited for Mr. Narron to come read to our children. I know the community will enjoy it."

And while it will be a little different from managing a baseball team, Narron said he doesn't think he will have any problems -- not after raising and reading to five children of his own.

But he's not sure yet what he'll read.

"It depends on how close to Christmas it is," he said. "It might be a Christmas book. If it's after Christmas, it might be a baseball book. It could be a combination."

Narron, who was named manager in 2005, just completed his first full season at the helm of The Big Red Machine. Originally from Goldsboro -- he graduated from Goldsboro High School -- Narron was drafted by the New York Yankees in 1974 as a catcher. In all, he played nearly 14 years of major league ball and has been a coach or manager ever since.

Still, he was excited when United Way asked for his help.

"I love Goldsboro. I love everything I can do to help people here," he said.

For the United Way, Hulse continued, Narron agreeing to help out is great news.

"Jerry is a hometown hero," he said. "I'm real excited that someone with that level of involvement in Major League Baseball would be thoughtful enough and caring enough to do something for us back home."

But to give Narron the chance to show his reading skills are as good as his baseball skills, United Way must continue to raise money. Right now the campaign is sitting at about 65 percent -- $955,388.

Because it's reached the 60 percent mark, state Rep. Louis Pate will be packing pickles at Mt. Olive Pickle Co. at 5:30 p.m. today.

Once it reaches 70 percent, Goldsboro Mayor Al King will serve coffee at Starbucks. At 80 percent, Wayne County Sheriff Carey Winders will serve doughnuts at Krispy Kreme and at 100 percent, Hulse will be skydiving from 14,000 feet.

United Way donations can be dropped off at the United Way office on William Street or at one of several locations in Wayne County -- The Goldsboro News-Argus, the Mount Olive Chamber of Commerce or the RBC Centura Bank on Spence Avenue.

They can also be mailed to the United Way office, 308 N. William St., Goldsboro, N.C. 27530.

I wanted to post this to give Narron credit for being a good guy and because I think it's hilarious to imagine him reading to children with that voice of his.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 12-01-2006 at 03:55 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jerry Narron Brings It On

wow, could you imagine anyone you'd least like to have read to you? Those poor kids.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Jerry Narron Bring's It On

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    http://www.newsargus.com/news/archiv...on/index.shtmlI wanted to post this to give Narron credit for being a good guy and because I think it's hilarious to imagine him reading to children with that voice of his.
    Everybody down there sounds like that.

If Narron really wants to help, he'll read "Weaver on Strategy."

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    If Narron really wants to help, he'll read "Weaver on Strategy."
    Weavers Fourth Law:

Your most precious possession on offense are your 27 outs.

Guess its from being born and raised in NC but I've never noticed a problem with the way he speaks even in person.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

For my 2000th post I'd like to say....I like beer.

On another note. On those nights when I have trouble getting to sleep, I'd like DanO to read to me. That would cure my insomnia methinks.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post

congrats on 2000; only 2191 left to equal Cobb!

I like beer too!
    sorry we're boring

Narron reads the book the right way.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

"i'ma reading guy"

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Narron reads the book the right way.

Yep, and he says all the little words.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post

On another note. On those nights when I have trouble getting to sleep, I'd like DanO to read to me. That would cure my insomnia methinks.

Or want to shoot yourself. Either way you'll be out like a light soon enough.

I hope Jerry doesn't get impatient with these kids and has the library bring in a bunch of high-school kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?