Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Redsfest 2006

Re: Redsfest 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Do you have a Crackberry?
    Yep
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I came in today and Johnny Bench was walking around. My kids got their picture with him. I was more excited than them of course. He wouldn't sign though.
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Friday I got to meet, and have my picture taken, with former Red players I grew up with.... Lee May, Tommy Helms, and Leo Cardenas. I met Jim O'Toole later on walking around, as well as Tom Hume.

Rob Dibble and his security entourage walked past us.

Why was he the only former player I saw walking around with security?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Friday I got to meet, and have my picture taken, with former Red players I grew up with.... Lee May, Tommy Helms, and Leo Cardenas. I met Jim O'Toole later on walking around, as well as Tom Hume.

Rob Dibble and his security entourage walked past us.

Why was he the only former player I saw walking around with security?
    That was to protect the crowd from Dibbs, not the other way around.

I sat behind Jim O'Toole and his wife at a Richmond Roosters game once. I probably annoyed the hell out of them, but he's a darn fine feller. He signed my program and a beer can for my buddy.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    I sat behind Jim O'Toole and his wife at a Richmond Roosters game once. I probably annoyed the hell out of them, but he's a darn fine feller. He signed my program and a beer can for my buddy.
    His wife was the most prolific substitute teacher all through the time I was in (Catholic) grade school. They are VERY Catholic, eleven children, if I recall correctly.

I remember distinctly the one thing that got her in all our good graces: when studying the word "pneumonia", she gave us a tip: "The 'P' is silent, as the pee in a baby's diaper." Saying something like that pretty much endears you to a bunch of eight-year-olds for all eternity.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

She was very nice and accommodating as well, and really seemed to enjoy the game.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

They had Leo Cardenas and O'Toole signing at the same table yesterday. I guess all has been forgiven since 1964.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Hey Chip....how come everyone on your team seemed insulted when I asked if they were Chip? LOL
    Last edited by Crosley68; 12-03-2006 at 05:59 PM. Reason: poor english
    Let's play two!!!

After circling the place three times, I don't know how I missed that table full of chocolates, but it's probably a good thing I did.

The kids' press conference with Arroyo, Freel, Ross, and Phillips was hysterical. You know how honest kids are!! One of them asked Phillips how he felt about Gonzalez playing SS next year. The entire crowd cracked up at the bluntness of the question then applauded his answer... (paraphrased) "He adds a lot to the team. Other teams are going to find out we're tough up the middle". Freel was a hoot and the other guys were ribbing him about Farney... like when a kid asked him a question, the others would say "that wasn't Freel, it was Farney!".

I had the opportunity to speak briefly with Claussen and he was very friendly. I asked him if he was going to be ready and he was very upbeat about it (though I don't remember exactly what he responded, I do know it was equivalent to yes). Coffey was very nice too.

And yes, Eric Davis shook my hand. I didn't even ask... he just held out his hand to me and I took it. He looked sharp and maybe the picture wasn't the best, but he definitely wasn't hammered nor did he look it in person. He was most gracious and friendly. Class act.

Did anyone see the guy making the bats? That was incredible. I could have watched him for a long time if there had been a place to sit.

I loved all the stuff for kids but the lines were so long for each of them that I'm afraid TG didn't get to do any of them because his Mom and I were in no way standing in line for each of them for a minimum of 45 minutes. He wanted to get on that replica BB field in the worst way but it didn't appear to be open to just anyone... or perhaps we were there at the wrong time.

I loved the lithographs of different players that were on sale. They were reasonably priced too.

The bar was awesome. A very nice addition.

With the exception of concession prices, it was a great event. And I had a great time, as I always do.

One more thing... I also LOVED the truck where they produce/direct the TV cameras and audio. How the heck does someone get that kind of job? I've seen it before for a Bengals vs Steelers game several years ago, but even though it wasn't new to me, it was still impressive.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    Hey Chip....how come everyone on your team seemed insulted when I asked if they were Chip? LOL

Cause they all are jealous they aren't me.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Crosley68 View Post
    Same thing with me. I drive up and some guy has his pants unbuckled and is stuffing his 1869 uniform into his pants and I say, "You ever hear of Redszone...Do you know Chip?" He laughed (a lot) and said something like Yea...didn't say much else that I can repeat...JK

Turn Off Ads?