Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Astros reportedly reel in Lee

Astros reportedly reel in Lee

Astros reportedly reel in Lee
    Veteran slugger to ink six-year deal with Houston
    By Jim Molony / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Free-agent slugger Carlos Lee has agreed to terms on a six-year contract with the Houston Astros, according to a Houston television station.

KRIV-TV, citing Major League Baseball sources, reported Friday morning that the outfielder had agreed to a six-year contract worth an unspecified amount of money and would be flying to Houston from Panama on Friday evening to sign the contract.

Houston general manager Tim Purpura was not immediately available for comment.

Lee, who was paid $8 million in 2006, is a career .286 hitter in eight Major League seasons, with 221 home runs and 772 RBIs. He has driven in 80 or more runs each of the last eight seasons and has scored 100 or more runs four times. Since the 2003 season, Lee is tied for 12th in the Major Leagues with 131 home runs and ranks ninth with 442 RBIs.

Lee's combined statistics with the Brewers and Rangers last season included a .300 batting average, 37 homers and 116 RBIs.

Lee's agent, Adam Katz, met with Astros owner Drayton McLane and Purpura on Wednesday.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...2006&fext=.jsp
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros reportedly reel in Lee

I wonder what the $$$ are on this deal? It was rumored that the Orioles had offered 6 years - $100M.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I wonder what the $$$ are on this deal? It was rumored that the Orioles had offered 6 years - $100M.
    Rotoworld is speculating $90 Million.

Lee will rake in that park, that's for sure. However, his numbers may struggle on the road since it's likely he will do nothing but swing for the fences at home. (tough to have two different mindsets).

IMO, there is no middle ground in this deal, it's either great or boneheaded. They could be losing Clemens and Pettitte. They'll need starters.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I cannot imagine Lee succesfully playing that left-center-field wall/carom on a regular basis. That should get entertaining.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Man Pills

I like Lee a lot; but that contract could go Greg Vaughn in a heartbeat.

I wonder if they are budgeting the possibility of Clemens out of their equation.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Great signing, for the rest of the NL Central, in a year or two. This guy has DH written all over him. He makes Dunn look like a Gold Glover.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

6 yrs/100 million
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2674398

With these contacts, maybe this is the time to unload Griffey, Dunn, Freel and load up on almost ready major league talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2674398

With these contacts, maybe this is the time to unload Griffey, Dunn, Freel and load up on almost ready major league talent.
    maybe Jr., Dunn and Freel are guys I want to keep around for a long time.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

The size of the contracts this year is just unbelievable. The owners have lost their minds. Years from now when the CBA they just agreed to is up the owners will be complaining about out of control salaries. I don't feel bad for the owners at all they are doing it to themselves.

A 30 year old, below average defensive left fielder, who's never had a .900 OPS season. I guess these teams have so much money to spend that they're not willing to admit that this free agent class isn't worthy of it.

You know, I wonder if the Phillies would still trade Pat Burrell for a side of fries, and if he'd waive his NTC for a 1 year extension. You'd wind up with a pretty similar player for 3 years at maybe $42M? Hell, they could probably sign both Aubrey Huff and Trot Nixon for less than that and potentially wind up with a semi-reasonable facsimile of Lee's/Burrell's production.
    Last edited by blumj; 11-24-2006 at 03:44 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

[QUOTE=blumj;1198613]A 30 year old, below average defensive left fielder, who's never had a .900 OPS season. I guess these teams have so much money to spend that they're not willing to admit that this free agent class isn't worthy of it.QUOTE]

well i do nt se the Reds spending this type of money... sadly the Cubs and Astros got what they wanted.. you know the Cards will do something.. guess the Reds wont..not that i think Lee is worth that money, but it isnt looking good now...

Why not redsfan4445? The Cubs offseason spending has been questioned throughtout. The Astros got Lee, but he is no Adam Dunn, and while the Reds have not spent big dollars yet they have addressed improving the infield defense, and signed some bullpen flotsam, debate their contracts all you want, but those two signings did provide upgrades, just how much remains to be seen. They still need a right handed first base option, and a closer would be nice, but at this point I would be targeting a starting pitcher. If Krivsky has learned anything in this free agency period, he should realize that he has some valuable commodities, that are not named Adam Dunn, Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, or Homer Bailey.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?