Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carlos Lee is an Astro

Re: Carlos Lee is an Astro

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Remember when Santa Lindner brought us a sack full of Eric Milton for Christmas?
    This presupposes all FA signings/trades suck. The majority of the time expensive ballplayers give you what you pay for. Perhaps not for as long as you'd like, but that's the GM's fault for not dumping said player at the right time.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

About the only wayne K. could do to draw some national media our way would be to sign zito otherwise it's ho hum in other news the cin.reds signed ______________<-------INSERT PLAYER NAME HERE.

I'd like to see us answer by signing trot nixon and eduardo perez and jason schmidt. I think we might be able to get all three for 17M a year combined.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    I'd like to see us answer by signing trot nixon and eduardo perez and jason schmidt. I think we might be able to get all three for 17M a year combined.
    Here is what I see:

Signing Craig Wilson. He will see playing time against lefthanded pitching either at lst or RF.

Signing of either OF David Delucci or OF Trot Nixon. They would play in RF against RHP pitching. Against lefthanders, the Reds could use either Craig Wilson or Ryan Freel in RF. The Reds bench would be bolstered with veterans coming off the bench.

Signing RHP Adam Eaton. Track record of injuries but has the potential to be a top of the rotation starter. For the Reds, he becomes a solid number 3.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I'd be pleased as punch picking up Schmidt and Nixon. I really think we'd be close to ready if we pulled off those two moves.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Astros also pick up Woody Williams today for 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Astros also pick up Woody Williams today for 2 years.
    big money day for the stros. Wonder if they're going to go after Clemons again, if so what would that payroll look like?
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by cincy09 View Post
    big money day for the stros. Wonder if they're going to go after Clemons again, if so what would that payroll look like?
    My guess--and it's not particularly well thought-through--is that Clemens won't be back.

My guess--and it's not particularly well thought-through--is that Clemens won't be back.

That's my guess too.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This presupposes all FA signings/trades suck. The majority of the time expensive ballplayers give you what you pay for. Perhaps not for as long as you'd like, but that's the GM's fault for not dumping said player at the right time.
    When you've got a guy locked into a very long term deal (beyond 5 years), when is the right time to trade them? Who is going to take on 2+ years of salary for someone, given the size of a lot of these deals being made?

Offering Carlos Lee a 6 year guaranteed deal or Alfonso Soriano an 8 year guaranteed deal is bordering on insanity. If that is what the market is demanding for these kinds of sluggers, I'll pass. Concentrate on improving the pitching and getting better talent into the upper levels of the farm system.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    When you've got a guy locked into a very long term deal (beyond 5 years), when is the right time to trade them? Who is going to take on 2+ years of salary for someone, given the size of a lot of these deals being made?

Offering Carlos Lee a 6 year guaranteed deal or Alfonso Soriano an 8 year guaranteed deal is bordering on insanity. If that is what the market is demanding for these kinds of sluggers, I'll pass. Concentrate on improving the pitching and getting better talent into the upper levels of the farm system.
    Let me make clear that I wouldn't have signed these particular deals, either one, but to say that teams won't pick up fair-sized contracts at the trading deadline when the player in question appears to have something left in the tank is a little short-sighted. Teams trade for guys in the middle of big contracts fairly frequently.

I'd like that as well. Schmidt will cost that much by himself.

part of BBN

if i had my choice of stros and clemens vs stros and lee...i would rather as a reds fan see them with lee minus clemens.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd like that as well. Schmidt will cost that much by himself.
    you think he will get 17 million per year? if so, i would pass. that's insane.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    you think he will get 17 million per year? if so, i would pass. that's insane.
    Lee and Soriano did. Matsuzaka will end-up there with the negotiating fee. Schmidt and Zito will too, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?