Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rehashing Trading Griffey Options

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Rehashing Trading Griffey Options

What would be the probability that he could be moved from center field and onto another team this offseason?

I think that he would be a great fit in Chicago White Sox would be a great trading partner. They are already attempting to push Podsednik, Buerhle, Garcia and, Contreras. They have a lot of depth in prospect type pitching and they are also trying to obtain another bat.

Think of this outfield Podsednik in center Freel in right and Dunn in left. Pods and Freel could combine for 100+ stolen bases and Dunn's RBI numbers would be insane

or

This rotation

1 Harang 2 Arroyo 3 Buerhle (Garcia or Contreras) 4 Milton 5 Bailey

I love both scenarios

Just a thought
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rehashing Trading Griffey Options

Griffey for one of the starters would be good. No interest in Podsednik. He'd be worse in CF than Griffey, can't hit and his SB's aren't really worth much IMO.

hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Griffey for one of the starters would be good. No interest in Podsednik. He'd be worse in CF than Griffey, can't hit and his SB's aren't really worth much IMO.
    I disagree. Speed is a lost art in today's baseball. I grew up in the days of Ricky Henderson and Vince Coleman stealing anywhere from 80-100+ bases a year. We use to hvae about 10-15 guys every year in the majors swiping 35+ bases a season. I guess the "power surge" all but abolished that.

Anyways, a SB threat does a few things for a team:

A) a BB or single can automatically put the player on 2nd base which in turn, destroys the possiblity of a double play and also putting the runner in scoring position.

B) SS/2b usually cheat a few steps towards the bag in case of a throw from behind the plate. That leave a few feet gap on each side for a ball to get through. Which sometimes is the difference between a double play or single.

C) 1b has to play closer to the bag to keep the runner on--thus leaving another small gap between him and the 2b..thus another few inches for a chance for a ball to get thru for a basehit

D) Pitcher's concentration. A pitcher who has to worry about a baserunner, mentally CAN get distracted and make a mistake to the batter. Whether it be wildness (ending up walking the batter) or not hitting his spots and giving up a basehit.

I woudl love to have a legitimate .300 hitter, .400 OBP, 50+ SB threat, at the top of the lineup...our scoring would increase dramatically.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    I disagree. Speed is a lost art in today's baseball. I grew up in the days of Ricky Henderson and Vince Coleman stealing anywhere from 80-100+ bases a year. We use to hvae about 10-15 guys every year in the majors swiping 35+ bases a season. I guess the "power surge" all but abolished that.

A) a BB or single can automatically put the player on 2nd base which in turn, destroys the possiblity of a double play and also putting the runner in scoring position.

B) SS/2b usually cheat a few steps towards the bag in case of a throw from behind the plate. That leave a few feet gap on each side for a ball to get through. Which sometimes is the difference between a double play or single.

C) 1b has to play closer to the bag to keep the runner on--thus leaving another small gap between him and the 2b..thus another few inches for a chance for a ball to get thru for a basehit

D) Pitcher's concentration. A pitcher who has to worry about a baserunner, mentally CAN get distracted and make a mistake to the batter. Whether it be wildness (ending up walking the batter) or not hitting his spots and giving up a basehit.

I woudl love to have a legitimate .300 hitter, .400 OBP, 50+ SB threat, at the top of the lineup...our scoring would increase dramatically.
    Written better than myself but I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'd love that too. Unfortunately Scotty Pods is a .270 hitter, .340 OBP, 50+ SB threat and only belongs at the top of a lineup in his very best year(s).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Better destinations for Griffey would be the Tigers and Twins. Would Griffey accept a deal? Given that both teams train in Florida and are playoff contenders, that would help. But if you're the Reds, without Junior in the lineup Dunn is like melted butter as a hitter, and you would need to get a hitter in return.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

10 - 5
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    10 - 5
    Well said, Griffey is untradeable. If he would even think about accepting a trade the Reds would have to eat a ton of contract just to move him. Only hope is that his ring finger gets lonely and we can move him at the deadline this upcoming year.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post

I think that he would be a great fit in Chicago White Sox would be a great trading partner. They are already attempting to push Buerhle
    i was listening to espn radio 1000 the other night and the hosts were pushing trading him.their comment was "we know he is going to end up in st louis anyway".
    not sayin jr would get him, just sayin.
    Last edited by jmac; 11-25-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    10 - 5
    RFS, this should be the banner at the top of RedsZone.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Podsednik stole 40 bases, was caught 19 times and picked-off 11 more. When a guy already struggles to get on base he doesn't need to make 30 more outs on the bases.

Some base stealers have the value you mention, Ichiro is an example. Podsednik, not so much.

Turn Off Ads?