Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the old man getting impatient?

Is the old man getting impatient?

It's been an interesting couple of weeks in the free agent market. Cubs re-sign Ramirez and Wood and give Soriano 9 years and a ton of money. HOU signs Lee and Woody Williams. L.A. signs Juan Pierre to a very silly deal and ANA signs the Private up for a 5 year hitch at $10M per. Meanwhile the Reds shore up their defense by signing Gonzo to a modest 3 year deal at under $5M per and keep Mike Stanton off the Social Security rolls by inking him to a multi year deal. Now you may think these deals are awful - and most of them are. But, still, Bob is known to be an impatient man. And you have to think that when two teams in the same division spend a ton of money to make themselves better in the near future, you have to believe that the Reds' signings pale in comparison to the others and perhaps Bob feels the same way. I think Bob wants to spend money but he knows how limited our revenues are. Building through the farm system is nice but it's not very sexy and it does nothing in the short term to sell tickets short of giving Homer Bailey a spot in the rotation.

It does nothing to win games next year either and I think that is what Bob wants above all else. I think he would blow the budget to smithereens to get a division championship. I do think he trusts in Wayne and has been patient with him and his rebuilding through the minors but there comes a point where Bob might just throw up his hands and give Wayne a blank check to sign someone - preferably a pitcher - but someone to get the fans' attention and sell tickets but most importantly to win. And if it means overpaying someone, then that is what it takes.

This may not be a wise course of action but Bob may feel that he has to keep up with the Joneses and let Wayne overpay for someone that could make the team better even if it blows the budget and even if the contract is a future liability.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is the old man getting impatient?

I don't disagree but who is he going to sign? There isn't very many "fan draw" names left.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

I hope not. Sometimes the only move is not to play.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I hope not. Sometimes the only move is not to play.
    thanks joshua.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    thanks joshua.
    well, I'd wizz on a spark plug if I thought that would help.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I do think he trusts in Wayne and has been patient with him and his rebuilding through the minors but there comes a point where Bob might just throw up his hands and give Wayne a blank check to sign someone - preferably a pitcher - but someone to get the fans' attention and sell tickets but most importantly to win. And if it means overpaying someone, then that is what it takes.

That's exactly the mindset that landed Milton, IMO.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Spending for the sake of spending doesn't cut it. Yet, to appease the lay fan base in the offseason, that is what the Reds should be doing. Ah, some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Spending for the sake of spending doesn't cut it. Yet, to appease the lay fan base in the offseason, that is what the Reds should be doing. Ah, some things never change.

I didn't say he should do it. I asked if he will do it. Much like how the media speculates on the future of Joe Torre every year when the Yankees are eliminated. Most people think he should be retained but they wonder if he will.

It's a question as to how he thinks which is relevant to how the team will be ran. Will he stay the course or will he try to make a splash? When ticket sales were slow for that big 4 game series against the Cards, he cut ticket and hot dog prices to get people to come. He didn't just sit back and hope people would come out. He made the effort to get people there. It may not have had the desired result and it may have cost them money long term, but at least he did something. And, yes, that is how we got Milton. I'm hoping if the same scenario presents itself, the result will be different.

I'm not saying you have to spend money on dumb contracts just cause everyone else is. What I'm asking is is the temptation too great for Bob to stay the course?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I agree with everything that's been siad (for the most part), but I have to wonder. Bob C came in like a hurricane bringing back tradition and swearing the Reds would compete for a title soon. He hires Wayne Krivsky, boy wonder GM, and the team improves, but it not quite there. Move after move is made to try to improve the club nearly all season and we come to this--kind of a disappointment. Is Wayne listening to Jerry Narron too much? Is Narron assuring him that our offense is fine and our pitching is adequate with the acquisition of Stanton? Wayne has such faith in him...sorry, but I don't understand.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    That's exactly the mindset that landed Milton, IMO.
    But the Reds had a moron's mindset at the time,i.e.Dano.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I agree with everything that's been siad (for the most part), but I have to wonder. Bob C came in like a hurricane bringing back tradition and swearing the Reds would compete for a title soon. He hires Wayne Krivsky, boy wonder GM, and the team improves, but it not quite there. Move after move is made to try to improve the club nearly all season and we come to this--kind of a disappointment. Is Wayne listening to Jerry Narron too much? Is Narron assuring him that our offense is fine and our pitching is adequate with the acquisition of Stanton? Wayne has such faith in him...sorry, but I don't understand.
    The market is out of control right now -- given the market size they play in and the horrid state of their rotation, the Reds simply don't have the financial resources to throw out huge-dollar deals to players who don't pitch.

What you're seeing right now from Casty and Krivsky is straight of the Twins playbook and the Cardinals playbook: you don't necessarily make the flashy deal, you make the right deal for your ballclub.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It's been an interesting couple of weeks in the free agent market. Cubs re-sign Ramirez and Wood and give Soriano 9 years and a ton of money. HOU signs Lee and Woody Williams. L.A. signs Juan Pierre to a very silly deal and ANA signs the Private up for a 5 year hitch at $10M per. Meanwhile the Reds shore up their defense by signing Gonzo to a modest 3 year deal at under $5M per and keep Mike Stanton off the Social Security rolls by inking him to a multi year deal. Now you may think these deals are awful - and most of them are. But, still, Bob is known to be an impatient man. And you have to think that when two teams in the same division spend a ton of money to make themselves better in the near future, you have to believe that the Reds' signings pale in comparison to the others and perhaps Bob feels the same way. I think Bob wants to spend money but he knows how limited our revenues are.
    Or Bob sees the idiocy that is going on in this current market and realizes it wouldn't be a smart move to jump into this pool.

but there comes a point where Bob might just throw up his hands and give Wayne a blank check to sign someone - preferably a pitcher - but someone to get the fans' attention and sell tickets but most importantly to win. And if it means overpaying someone, then that is what it takes.
    I'm blowing this pic up and sending it to Bob to put on his wall to help temper any emotion he might have.....

Does anyone have a pilot license? We could buzz his office with it.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-25-2006 at 07:07 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    What you're seeing right now from Casty and Krivsky is straight of the Twins playbook and the Cardinals playbook: you don't necessarily make the flashy deal, you make the right deal for your ballclub.
    That is exactly what they have to do. Pinpoint your needs, see what is out there and who is available, what possible deal(s) can be worked.....

But don't go nutso and end up overpaying for a Suppan-type just because you think he might help.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Good post Chip. I've had similar thoughts. I suspect that Bob has an itchy trigger finger and wants t opull the trigger on one or more major moves. I too hope another Milton signing is not the result.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

This is really all just conjecture. Castellini has said he wants to win and to win sooner, rather than later. That said, I don't think you make the money he's made by jumping the gun. I don't expect either him or WK to go crazy throwing dollars out there simply for the sake of "doing something". Even the Nats trade last season was done to fix something that was horribly in need of fixing. But that trade aside, we gave nothing significant away while throwing some pitchers against the wall. And I'm one of the handful who still say the jury's still out on the Nats trade. Patience, folks.

Turn Off Ads?