Turn Off Ads?

Thread: UC's athletic department creates another mess

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

UC's athletic department creates another mess

Narduzzi: 'I need to know'
    BY BILL KOCH | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    If interim head coach Pat Narduzzi is going to be named the new head football coach at the University of Cincinnati, it will have to happen by Wednesday, December 6.

That’s the deadline Narduzzi has given to UC athletic director Mike Thomas for deciding on whether he wants to keep him on as head coach. If not, Narduzzi is headed to Michigan State to work as the defensive coordinator under Mark Dantonio.

Meanwhile, all of the UC assistant coaches, with the exception of running backs coach Tim Hinton, have resigned to take jobs at Michigan State and are already on the road recruiting for Dantonio. They were picked up on a plane on Monday night and flown to East Lansing.

The coaches are expected to return to UC to prepare the Bearcats for their bowl game and to coach them in that game.

“They will all be back for the bowl game,” said associate athletic director Mike Waddell.

Narduzzi said the other assistant coaches had no choice but to leave now for Michigan State.

“The other guys were offered jobs at Michigan State and were not offered jobs here,” Narduzzi said.

Meanwhile, Narduzzi has been placed in a precarious situation as he waits to hear if he will be UC’s next head coach.

He has been offered a job as defensive coordinator at Michigan State, but he said he can’t wait forever.

In fact, it was Dantonio who called Thomas and told the UC athletic director that Narduzzi needed to know about his status by the middle of next week.

“I was almost on a plane to Michigan State on Monday night, too,” Narduzzi said. “But for our kids, for this program here, I’m hanging out hoping something good is going to happen as far as being the head football coach.

"I have one job right now and that’s at Michigan State University,” Narduzzi said. “My only job is up there. I’ve got four kids and a wife to support. I need to know as soon as possible. The longer I stay here the longer Michigan State doesn’t have a defensive coordinator entertaining prospective student-athletes when they come in. The most important thing is for this thing to be resolved quickly.”

With most of the assistants gone, Narduzzi said, recruiting for UC has pretty much been put in limbo.

The domino effect of this could set, yet another program back for years...
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 11-29-2006 at 03:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UC's athletic department creates another mess

Thomas wants Brookhart from Akron (at least according to the Akron Paper).

Narduzzi's got to do what's best for him. Dantonio should have coached through the bowl game.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Thomas wants Brookhart from Akron (at least according to the Akron Paper).

Narduzzi's got to do what's best for him. Dantonio should have coached through the bowl game.
    Oh please don't hire Brookhart.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

University of Cincinnati

What about Mike Shula?
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by beb30 View Post
    What about Mike Shula?

Hey, that was my idea!

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=68
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

A Shula in Cincinnati. Sounds like a winner to me.
    Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit. - E. Fudd

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That's not a bad idea at all. Good work.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Looks like Narduzzi is headed to Michigan State with Dantonio.

A press conference has been scheduled for tomorrow to announce Central Michigan's Brian Kelly as the new head coach. Kelly has multiple D-II national championships and took Central Michigan from cellar dwellers to MAC champions in three years.

Ironically, he turned down the Michigan State job before Dantonio accepted it.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?