Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would You Do A Dunn For Jake Peavy Deal?

Would You Do A Dunn For Jake Peavy Deal?

Just curious to see what you thought about a trade idea that would send Dunn to the Padres for RHP Jake Peavy?

Of course the Reds would have to look at free agency to fill Dunn's spot. The Reds could sign probably two of the following players to try to replace some of the lost outfield production with the departure of Dunn: OFs David Delucci, Craig Wilson, Cliff Floyd, Jose Guillen and Trot Nixon.

Opinions?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would You Do A Dunn For Jake Peavy Deal?

Without a question.

yes on this deal, but I am back into the camp that says we should keep Dunn and try to build around him. I think we need that offensive superstar in the lineup. My hope is that he can avoid some of these monumental slumps, and perform the way he is capable.
    2006 Redszone Prospect Draft - Johnny Cueto
    2007 Redszone Prospect Draft - Pedro Viola, Alexis Oliveras
    2007 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (27) Michael Burgess, Supp. (60) Wes Roemer, 2nd (92) Barry Enright, 3rd (122) Jonathan Bachanov
    2009 Redszone Mock Draft - 1st (9) Shelby Miller, 2nd (58) Marc Krauss, 3rd (89) Daniel Fields

Yes, but they would have to make sure Peavy is 100% healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Just curious to see what you thought about a trade idea that would send Dunn to the Padres for RHP Jake Peavy?

Of course the Reds would have to look at free agency to fill Dunn's spot. The Reds could sign probably two of the following players to try to replace some of the lost outfield production with the departure of Dunn: OFs David Delucci, Craig Wilson, Cliff Floyd, Jose Guillen and Trot Nixon.

Opinions?
    If his arm and back and legs are good...yep.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I would, yes.
    But would the Padres?

Yes, I would think this would be a good match-up of needs. The Padres have the ballpark to get by with a lesser pitcher while the Reds have the ballpark to get by with a lesser bat. For the Reds, it would be easier to find a Rich Aurilia-type player to somewhat fill Dunn's void than to fill the same need in the rotation.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Yes. The Astros finished ahead of the Reds in the division last year and their offense was terrible. We need pitching first and you can always add a bat later. It seems like pitching commands the highest price during the season if you are trying to get it while offensive bats are most expensive in the off season. We could try to make a move for a bat this off season but if the offense is terrible try to make a trade during the season. In my opinion a rotation headed by Peavy, Harang, and Arroyo would make the Reds contenders in the division and possibly the league. Add in Homer later in the year and the Reds have a solid team shaping up.

Yep but the Padres would never do it.

Here is the slobber-knocker:

Peavy and Linebrink to the Reds for Dunn, Freel and Coffey.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

There are only a handful of guys that I would trade Adam Dunn for, Jake Peavy is one of them.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Harang, Arroyo, and Peavy would be nice at the top of the rotation

Hi one and all! This is my first post.....

I think the appropriate question would be, why would SD trade Peavy for Dunn?

Peavy, in his mid-20's, is already one of the best arms in the NL and is a bona fide TOR guy-a power pitcher with mild ground ball tendencies good for 200 innings. His xFIPS for '04 thru '06 have been 3.56, 3.13, and 3.82 respectively (so his effectiveness is not a product of playing in a pitcher's park). To top it off, the Padres control him for 3 more seasons (07:$4.75M, 08:$6M, 09:$8M club option) at rates that guarantee payroll value barring injury. Really why would the Padres want to trade him at all?

Now consider Dunn. His 06 VORP was 23 (that in and of itself should be a red flag for those speaking his name in the same sentence as Peavy). His '06 UZR rates his defense at -23 runs. His converted PMR rating is -7 runs. So if you accept the above range for his defense of -7 to -23 runs for 06, his true value was roughly 0 to 16 runs over replacement or 1.5 wins at best. Needless to say, $7.5M for a win or less is NOT a bargain. The 06 Dunn really is a lot easier to replace than many may think. Basically 06 Dunn was a marginal player who was grossly overpaid. Unfortunately hes due another big raise. If the $10.5M Dunn of 07 returns to the 05 Dunn with a VORP of 45 then hes somewhere between a 2 and 3.5 win player after considering his defense. At 2 wins, hed be horribly overpaid. At 3.5 wins hes $3M a win which is about right (wins are $2-2.5M per by convention) but still hes not a bargain. Its difficult for me to see Dunn being worth $13M in true production value in 08 even if hes the 04 offensive version (defense really does matter ). If the '06 version of Dunn returns at any point in his remaining contract, well, a bad deal just got even more painful. Needless to say there is a lot of pressure on Dunn's bat. Will he be the Dunn that sabermetrics fell in love with or the guy who hit 40 hrs with a SLG below .500 (BTW kudos to Dunn-thats a hard thing to do!). At this point I'd humbly suggest that even though he's in his *prime* years, 27 yo hitters typically don't reinvent themselves and suddenly stop striking out and begin effectively using the whole field (though a little of that could go a long way for Dunn). Certainly 27 yo's don't suddenly learn to play defense (peak for the leather is 24).

Anyway, would I trade Dunn for Peavy? Heck ya!!!!!!!!

But why would the Padres do that deal?

And what is probably the best reason to trade Dunn for Peavey? They both wear number 44. This is obviously an even trade. Hmmm...Maybe the Reds should look into Oswalt.

By the way, welcome and nice post, jojo.
    Last edited by Spitball; 11-26-2006 at 08:28 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    And what is probably the best reason to trade Dunn for Peavey? They both wear number 44. This is obviously an even trade. Hmmm...Maybe the Reds should look into Oswalt.

By the way, welcome and nice post, jojo.

Thanks!

And since Harang's name has been brought up in this thread, isn't it time the Reds lock him up for something like: 07:$4.75M, 08:$6M, 09:$8M, 10:$9.5M club option???????
    Last edited by jojo; 11-26-2006 at 08:47 PM.

Turn Off Ads?