Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baez signs 3 year deal with Orioles

Baez signs 3 year deal with Orioles

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2677014

BALTIMORE -- Free-agent reliever Danys Baez and the Baltimore Orioles reached a preliminary agreement on a $19 million, three-year contract Sunday night, a move that further solidifies a bullpen that finished with the second-worst ERA in the major leagues last season.

The deal is subject to Baez passing a physical, which was likely to be administered Monday, according to the pitcher's agent.

Baez went 5-6 with nine saves and a 4.53 ERA for the Atlanta Braves and Los Angeles Dodgers this year. The right-hander made the All-Star team in 2005 for Tampa Bay, going 5-4 with 41 saves and a 2.86 ERA.

"Danny is extremely excited about going back to the AL East," said Baez's agent, Greg Genske. "He's happy to be going back to the East Coast and playing in Baltimore."

The 29-year-old Baez was a closer with the Cleveland Indians in 2003 and Tampa Bay in 2004 and 2005. He will be a set-up man with the Orioles, who are committed to Chris Ray as their stopper.

Baltimore last week signed Jamie Walker, a left-handed reliever. The Orioles entered the offseason intent upon overhauling an erratic bullpen that was 19-25 with a 5.25 ERA and 35 saves in 56 opportunities.

Baez also was pursued by the New York Yankees, New York Mets, Boston Red Sox and Indians, Genske said. The pitcher made $4 million in 2006.

Baez struggled this season after the Dodgers got him in a trade with Tampa Bay. He had nine saves in 16 tries with Los Angeles before being traded to the Braves in late July.

He went 0-1 with a 5.40 ERA in 11 games with the Braves before his season ended on Aug. 26 after an emergency appendectomy.

The agreement was first reported on The (Baltimore) Sun's Web site.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Baez signs 3 year deal with Orioles

Randy Wolf is on the verge of signing with LA Dodgers (MLBTradeRumors.com)

Interesting....all of the talk on here about the Reds being interested in him and his agent didn't list the Reds as team that pursued him.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

First we can put the "we need Juan Pierre" myth to bed.

Now, we can put the "we need Danys Baez" myth to bed.

Who's the next FA myth?

Quote Originally Posted by EKURed View Post
    Interesting....all of the talk on here about the Reds being interested in him and his agent didn't list the Reds as team that pursued him.
    Gasp! You mean the desires of Redszone don't automatically get transfered into Wayne's "to-do" list? Shocking! hahahahahaha :
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Man Pills

I'm not real worried about missing out on Baez.

That's a lot of money. that may be a good no sign.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

good news. He is nothing special.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Great sign for the Orioles - may be too much money for a set up guy, but they will be using him where he belongs, as a setup guy, part-time closer.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm not real worried about missing out on Baez.
    I knew that sooner or later we would agree on something. Great minds aw... you know the rest.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

$6.3 M for a set up man, good lord.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Heck, if an average set up guy who pitches 60-80 innings goes for $6 million, $20 mm for a top-flite starter (who pitches 200 inn) looks cheap..
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Hey Eric Gagne is still out there.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Hey Eric Gagne is still out there.
    I didn't think he would pitch this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Gasp! You mean the desires of Redszone don't automatically get transfered into Wayne's "to-do" list? Shocking! hahahahahaha :
    Yeah, but I seem to remember posters saying they had seen the Reds name in print as being interested. I could be mistaken.

Turn Off Ads?