Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Hall of Fame Ballot Released (let the McGwire controversy begin)

2007 Hall of Fame Ballot Released (let the McGwire controversy begin)

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...l/4362090.html

NEW YORK — Mark McGwire, Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. headline the first-time candidates on the 2007 baseball writers' Hall of Fame ballot released Monday, sure to spark debate on Big Mac's place in history as the steroid era comes under renewed scrutiny.

Jose Canseco, whose book last year led to a congressional hearing on steroid use in baseball, also is on the ballot for the first time. Canseco said he used steroids along with McGwire when they were teammates.

McGwire denied using illegal performance-enhancing substances, but when he appeared before a congressional committee, he evaded questions. "I'm not here to talk about the past," was his repeated response.

McGwire finished his career with 583 home runs, seventh in baseball history while Canseco, a former MVP, is 30th at 462. Dave Kingman, 34th with 442, has the most home runs for a player who has been on the Hall of Fame ballot and was not elected.

Gwynn, an eight-time batting champion with San Diego, and Ripken, a two-time MVP with Baltimore, are considered likely to gain election on the first ballot. Ripken played in 2,632 consecutive games, breaking Lou Gehrig's record.

Bret Saberhagen, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, and former MVP Ken Caminiti also are among 17 players on the ballot for the first time along with Harold Baines, Dante Bichette, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Eric Davis, Tony Fernandez, Wally Joyner, Paul O'Neill, Devon White and Bobby Witt.

Jim Rice, who was 53 votes short of election last year, heads the 15 holdovers. Rich Gossage finished one vote behind Rice.

Reporters who have been in the BBWAA for 10 or more consecutive years are eligible to vote, and the totals will be announced Jan. 9.

The complete ballot:

Harold Baines, Albert Belle, Dante Bichette, Bert Blyleven, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Ken Caminiti, Jose Canseco, Dave Concepcion, Eric Davis, Andre Dawson, Tony Fernandez, Steve Garvey, Rich "Goose" Gossage, Tony Gwynn, Orel Hershiser, Tommy John, Wally Joyner, Don Mattingly, Mark McGwire, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Paul O'Neill, Dave Parker, Jim Rice, Cal Ripken Jr., Bret Saberhagen, Lee Smith, Alan Trammell, Devon White, Bobby Witt.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2007 Hall of Fame Ballot Released (let the McGwire controversy begin)

Bert "Be home" Blyleven
    Goose
    Eric
    Dave Concepcion
    Paul O'Neil
    Cal
    Lee Smith

would be my picks.

I'd vote for him. We don't know what he did or didn't take. At the time, it wasn't a violation of league rules and there was no testing. He obviously had a lot of natural talent anyway since steroids don't magically make you able to hit a baseball. Some of his historical predecessors were taking greenies and we don't hold that against them.

(Anyway, Maybe Dunn should talk to him. Up until age 27, his career numbers look very similar to Dunn's.)

Ripken, Gwynn, Gossage, John, Smith, Concepcion

Andre Dawson
    Cal Ripken
    Gwynn

Wow, can I ask Slyder why he passed on Gwynn?

Ripken=overrated IMO
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Gossage, Gwynn and Ripken are the three guys I would definitely vote for.
    There are a host of guys on that ballot that I would seriously consider, including Belle, Blyleven, Concepcion, Dawson, John, Mattingly, Morris, Murphy, Parker, Rice, Smith and Trammell. In each case, there is already one or more players or pitchers in the Hall of Fame who was less deserving of enshrinement than each of those guys are--not that that is enough to necessarily justify inducting them into the HOF, but it is enough to at least give each of them a look.
    McGwire? Were I allowed to vote, I would refuse to elect on the first ballot anybody whom I suspected of having used steroids or other chemical enhancements. I'd still have another 14 chances to reconsider, but not on the first ballot. Wait your turn, McGwire.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Ripken=overrated IMO
    The Streak=overrated

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Gwynn, Gossage, Ripken, Blyleven definites IMO....

Rice, Dawson, Smith and possibly McGwire in '08.....
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Ripken, Gwynn, Rice and the Goose.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    McGwire? Were I allowed to vote, I would refuse to elect on the first ballot anybody whom I suspected of having used steroids or other chemical enhancements. I'd still have another 14 chances to reconsider, but not on the first ballot. Wait your turn, McGwire.
    i absolutely agree with keeping mcgwire off the first year ballot...while some say your either a hall of famer or you're not, there is something special about making it your first year and i don't think he deserves this...

my ballot would be:
    gwynn
    ripken
    concepcion
    trammell
    dawson

McGwire
    Ripken
    Gwynn
    Dawson
    Gossage
    John
    Smith
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Bert Blyleven...would those who are not voting for him explain why you are leaving a 280 game winner with 3,700 career strikeouts off your ballots?

Rich Gossage, Tony Gwynn, and Cal Ripken.

Gwynn , Ripken, Concepcion is who I would vote for. Gwynn and Ripken will get in. No to McGwire.

Turn Off Ads?